Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #21
I went in July last year. Went from Seattle area east on I-90. We made reservations at the Spokane KOA for a few nights. When we got there we started our next stop for a couple days, all accross 90. Only place was close was around Deadwood.

Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #22
2012 Solera
We went through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in mid June (about a month ago). If you are willing the go without hookups things are somewhat better. We stayed at Coulter Bay in Tetons and at Lewis Lake in Yellowstone, both without reservations.
Some thoughts -
- Checkout at both NPs, as I remember, is at 11am. Getting to the campground around that time increases the probability of finding a site someone has just vacated.
- Often a "occupied" slip is left on a campsite that has been vacated. I check the dates on the slips of interesting sites.
- "Campground Full" signs are not always updated quickly. Often worth checking, especially on a Monday morning.
- My wife is disabled and we carry her placard/documentation. Parks often have a few disabled sites, which may be available when the CG is otherwise full.
- The size of the Solera (24 ft) allows access to some CGs not available to longer rigs. As I remember, Lewis Lake is one such CG.
- We ask at the entrance gate about campsite availability. Response is often "I don't get official updates, but I heard there are sites available at...". These inputs have proven mostly correct for us.

Has worked for us - your experience might vary!

2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #23
Fishing bridge is the only CG that has full hook ups with in Yellowstone. Stayed there 2 years ago. We had reservations. It is a very tight squeeze and hard to put your slides out. we got our slide but the awning could not go out.
I would not attempt with out reservations.
We said if we were to go back out west we want to go to Cody, WY! Drove thru and looks fascinating!!
Good luck.
Aviator Wright Flyer 1912
F-250 2014
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #24
Try to see the battle of Little Bighorn , custers last stand and Devils tower.
RETIREDATLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #25
You never said how big your 5th wheel is. Yellowstone has length restrictions on how big you can take into their campgrounds. As everyone said in the summer it is very busy and difficult to find a campground. If you plan to be there try and pick what days and I would suggest finding a campground near on of the parks entrances and make a reservation. I would not even try in the park.
Abey1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #26
Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
We are just returning from a three week trip that included Yellowstone. Photos here:
It was crowded and most everything is full. Long lines and little parking available most of the day. We stayed on Easter Standard Time which helps a lot (2 hours ahead of most people). I would not go without reservations, or if possible wait until the 1st week of September.
Bill & Renee from Novi, Michigan
2006 Lexington 255DS
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #27
We'll be there in September but with the mobility issues...thought you might appreciate this link to the day hike trails...some of which are easy and short.
Definitely get a reservation somewhere NOW...suggest any of the PRIVATE campgrounds in West Yellowstone vicinity as your best bet for August.
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #28
There was some good advice from some of the responders. I lived in the area for 20 plus years. Do NOT stay in the park. It is too crowded and not enough space for your rig, except fishing bridge. I would never stay there because you can not have a fire and is pack in like sardines. Stay out side the park at Colter Bay. If you can not get a space there, at least go there to see the Native American exhibit. Try Flaggs Ranch (Also called the "Headwaters Lodge and RV park). Full hookups, lots of space and fire pits. They are located between Yellowstone Park and Jackson. Also there is a camp ground south of there called, Gros Ventre, (Pronounced Grow Vaunt). that is never full. They do not have full hook ups but alow generators. It is by the Moose Ranger Station. One of my favorite placea is Red Cliff Camp Ground. 5 miles South of Big Sky Montana. 30 Amp service, No water or sewer. Right on the Galitan river and lots of space. It is Quiet. Look for it on Make sure you take a float trip from Jackson Lake to ther Moose Ranger Station with the Tetons as a back drop. It is very calm waters. Don't tell anyone about Red Cliff's. Ha Ha Ha.
Vardo Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #29
Yellowstone Holiday

In May 2013 we stayed at Yellowstone Holiday just north of West Yellowstone. Its on Hebgen lake and had very nice facilities. Showers had heated floors! Drive into the park was not too terrible. We would see bison along Rt 191 Galantin Road north of West Yellowstone. We came in the East Entrance via Cody. There was still ice on Yellowstone Lake.

Yellowstone Holiday | Camping Fishing RV Campgrounds
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:31 AM   #30
We stayed at Fishing Bridge for 4 days in mid May this year. Lots of ice on the lake, got down to mid 20s at night, thought there were too many people at the time and wondered how crazy it would be at peak season. Some roads were not open yet but so glad we went in May.
The beauty of the park makes it worth while.
BTW... newer sewer hookups at the campground mandate the use of the screw in type connections.
I guarantee you will enjoy it so much more in the off season.

2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS Emerald
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote