Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #31
We are planning our first trip to Yellowstone for next July. I have already made our reservations for 12 days in Fishing Bridge. I know that it is the busiest part of the season but we are planning a 3 to 4 month trip starting in June from North Carolina. I wanted to stay in the park so that we would not have to fight the traffic at the entrance gate each day. We went to the Grand Canyon last year and stayed in Trailer Village CG for two weeks and this allowed us to really see the Canyon. My wife are I are not able to walk long distances. We plan to go to the Custer area for 12 days and then move to Glacier Bay area for 6 days. Then we will move down to Yellowstone. At this point we have 105 days of camping planned for this trip. I am in the process of making reservations for each stop that we make now so that we know exactly where we will be staying each night. We have a 5th wheel camper and we have not dry camped to this point. I made my reservations for FB last month and they were already filling up for next year then.

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 118
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #32
Mature Citizen
Visiting Yellowstone

We just returned from there and it is both busy and large. All of the camp grounds in the area were full and I had made reservations in March. The park is really much larger then most people realize. Your wife will be able to see many wonderful things but mobility is an issue at many of the sites. Make sure you have a handicapped parking sticker as they are often the only spots available. I second the thought of going after labor day; the crowds go way down. Enjoy the trip!

Darlene, Ralph and Bandit
LTC (USA Retired) W7TLD
2016 (So Far) - 104 days & 6015 miles
2013 - 2015 - 328 days & 15414 miles
2013 Georgetown XL 378TS, 2014 Honda CRV
downeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #33
Originally Posted by downeyr View Post
The park is really much larger then most people realize. !
This is SO true. If you are staying at Fishing Bridge it can take anywhere from 2-6 hours to get back to from Mammoth Hot springs depending on time and the numbers of animals on the side of the road.
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #34
Camping in Yellowstone

The camping trip in June was the first time in over 5 years. Prior to that we had camped there almost every year. There is a big difference. Camp sites have shrunk. Not only can you see everything going on in your neighbor's site but hear it as well. Areas that use to accommodate two campsites now make room for at least three. There are a lot of new rules and restrictions.While the country is always magnificent, as a camping option there are a lot better choices.
Remark777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #35
Last year Yellowstone set a record for the number of visitors at over 4 million. This year the numbers are up over that by 10%. The peak months for visiting are June, July, and Aug. There is no way I would try to visit Yellowstone without reservations, either in the park or outside the park.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #36
Just got back from a trip to Yellowstone and finding campgrounds in Cody was horrible. And at 60 bucks a night not cheap but I had not made any reservations and that was the problem. I had always made reservations before. Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is great but 60 bucks a night and I was lucky to get a spot there. Plan ahead is what I always do but it cost me this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #37
Lightbulb Camp near Yellowstone, not in Yellowstone

We camped at Lonesomehurst CG at Hebgen Lake. Needed reservations, but there are open spaces you can camp if you don't need hookups. I liked camping outside the park better than in the park. The drive and the wildlife are part of the adventure. I'd check online for reservations somewhere near Yellowstone. The September advice is right if you can work it. We were caught in June in multiple traffic jams when people stopped for wildlife. Forty minutes was the maximum wait.
2009 Roo 21ss + 2007 Superduty 6.0
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #38
We visited Yellowstone last year on a coast to coast and return. We stayed out of West Yellowstone at Caribou Targhee National Forest. There were plenty of spaces available. No hookups, but bathrooms and water. We stopped in Yellowstone for pay showers. The early morning drive across Yellowstone to Cody was spectacular ! The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody was one of the highlights of our trip. Of course the Tetons were amazing. Keep an eye out for wildlife we had a moose wander right through our campsite one evening, and saw a grizzly cross the road early morning in Yellowstone. We camped next to the Buffalo river. Be prepared for sensory overload !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	114403  
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #39
Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
This was me trying to get into Old Faithful parking with a 26' motorhome. We gave up and went elsewhere (click the image to see a video). Came back very early a few days later and all was well.

Yellowstone - Old Faithful - Trying to find Motorhome parking by cdrdwd, on Flickr
Bill & Renee from Novi, Michigan
2006 Lexington 255DS
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #40
Camping in Yellowstone

NoviBill's video captures the traffic problem as it exists every day during the summer. Great video -- lots of frustration for anyone trying to access areas in the Park.

Remark777 is online now   Reply With Quote