Old 07-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #1
Question Anyone been RVing to Yellowstone recently?

We are considering a month long western tour in August with no specific locations and schedules. We would like to see all the better tourist spots.
One of the places I would like to see is Yellowstone.
This will be our first major vacation in quite sometime and never with a 5th wheel so that is why I am asking prime members for help. To complicate matters my wife cannot walk but short distances.
I looked on the web at Yellowstone campsites and want full service but was worried about opening slides and parking my truck.

Any advice on Yellowstone or any other locations would be appreciated.

first 5th with slides 33 ft pin to back bumper
2015 Crusader 294RLT (Jul 2014)
2007 3/4 ton dodge 6.7 diesel
DW is Doris
retired military
home is Fort Smith, Ar.
MEL T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #2
I'm not sure you want to go there without a plan during peak season. Everyone I talked to says plan it a year a so in advance.

Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #3
I go RV'ing not Camping
My co-worker just went there last weekend, no plans or reservations, but they have a motor home which makes it easy to sleep on the side of the road as necessary.

With a fifth wheel for me I don't know if I could fly by the seat of my pants
312QBUD Owners Thread
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
2000 Chev 2500 Extended Cab 6 Liter
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
A buddy of mine is out in west Yellowstone now and called me yesterday. He said they are having a hard time finding camp grounds. Says there are a lot of foreign tourists right now.

I would make sure I have reservations if I were going in August. Just relaying what I was told yesterday.
Mark and Joanne
2014 Fun Finder XT 276
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost 4X4 SCrew Max Tow
2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
I wouldn't even consider going to Yellowstone NP without reservations. Fishing Bridge campground is the only one in the park with full hookups and trying to get in there without reservations would be an exercise in futility.

One more thing, overnight camping (tent, car, or RV) anywhere but in the campgrounds within Yellowstone is banned.

Winging it during the peak season near any major tourist spots isn't the best idea.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #6

Went to Yellowstone two years ago and stayed at the Cody KOA. I too have mobility issues. This KOA has full service and is about an hour drive from Yellowstone. There are many easy driving routes thru the park; plenty parking spots along the routes with small "outhouses". Parking, such is at Old Faithful, puts you close enough to the attractions to make a short walk.. Beautiful country. And.... It's only a couple hour drive from Cody over to Montana to visit the site of the Battle of the Little Big Horn/Custer's last stand, which is well worth the visit. Hope you have a great trip. We visited in April and had reservations at the KOA.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
I have a friend that just returned from Yellow Stone and camped in the park in a tent. As has been said Fishing Bridge is the only full service (hookups) in the park. This CG is always 100% full in the summer, do not try and wing it with out reservations here. This time of year you could always call and try to get reservations but your odds are very low. The other campground in the park do not have full hookups. There are two CG's that do not take reservations but they also are all most always full. If you try get there very early and there may only be 1 or 2 campsites, or none. You may have better luck outside the park and driving in, I would start call around for reservations if I was you. Good Luck.
Chuck & Sandra
2010 F350 CC 6.4
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
You would have much better luck "flying by seat of pants" in Sept than in June-Aug. Those are peak months. We were just there at the end of June and everything was full. Had our reservations in Cody since Jan. A LOT of foreign tourists who tend to need a wide berth while driving rental class C's. Best advice would be to start calling, look for cancellations in and around the park, then plan your trip accordingly. Many things to see and do outside the park also. From Cody it's about an hour into the park's East gate. From Cody you can drive to Red Lodge, MT and drive over the Beartooth Highway (check to make sure it's open) or drive the Chief Joseph Highway into Cooke City, MT and enter the NE gate at Silver Springs. Both are absolutely beautiful drives. The Beartooth is not advisable with an RV.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
Give Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone a call. It's the very best place to stay. Just a few blocks from the west entrance and the town with restaurants and shops. Large pads and grass areas.
Gary and Donna
2005 Cardinal 33TS-LX
Trail Air pin box
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
We usually go in the West Gate to Yellowstone as we come through the Tetons and Jackson Hole. There are at least 3 good RV parks in or near the town of West Yellowstone. We like this one: West Yellowstone KOA RV Park, Campground, Cabins in West Yellowstone, Montana

But as mentioned above, in August (or really anytime) you better have reservations for any RV park in or near the park. And any amount of time you decide to stay near Yellowstone will not be enough

July and August are the busiest months so I would put off the Yellowstone leg until Sept. Also check the website for any road closures/maint in and around the park.

Have fun!

Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote