Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 02:44 AM   #1

Anyone going to Quartzsite AZ next month?

We've been there 3 times and that should be more than enough, but we will be in Palm Desert, CA visiting my daughter's new place and may head there for a few days. We usually grab a spot just south of the big tent and walk over. We have no toad to get around town so we are limited to a few blocks. Seems the flea markets are all selling the same stuff.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

I'm a definite maybe.... I've heard different reviews about the show so the question is how you would rate it from 1 to 10 and why.
Happy Camper CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper CA View Post
I'm a definite maybe.... I've heard different reviews about the show so the question is how you would rate it from 1 to 10 and why.
I rate the experience as a 6. Some folks find once in a lifetime is enough and others come back year after year meeting the same group. We get a spot on the BLM around 2pm and walk over to the tent about 1/4 mile away. Takes us about 2 hours to go thru it. Next day we walk back over and check out the vendors on the outside of the tent and I go back into the tent and pickup stuff I wished I bought the day before. Then we head out the the Flea markets. If you have been to a Big RV show with a tent full of vendors, it's just like that but the tent is huge. A few RV dealers have displays set up just outside. If you buy something from a vendor that's too heavy or needs to be installed, they will come out to where ever you are for a fee of course. I have seen them install solar and replace big Class A windows at site on the BLM. They also have set up shops by the tent to do installations and repairs.
Amazing to see so many seniors in one place. I think the average age is 73. Lot's of folks with walkers, scooters and on oxygen. It's like a pilgrimage for some. It's unbelievable seeing so many RV's in one area.
Quick note: Traffic is horrible early morning to noon. Cheap propane in town and free dump station and potable water available at BLM just south of town. But there are sewer trucks and potable water trucks roaming around the BLM sites if you want to pay for it.
We pay $40 for the 30 day BLM pass which allows us to use any of the BLM's in Arizona. There are I think 5 or 6 BLM's around Quatzsite to choose from.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #4

I am intrigued by the “BLM” permit to camp on BLM land in my great state of Arizona.
I’m a Arizona native. I’ve never heard of a requirement to have a permit to camp on BLM land. I called the BLM today and asked about it. They said it wasn’t necessary.
I’ve camped all over Arizona my entire life. The only areas that I know of that requires a permit is on the Indian reservations.
Would you please elaborate on why a permit is necessary?
Is this a quartzite thing? I’ve never camped there. Probably never will but am interested in why the permit.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
I am intrigued by the “BLM” permit to camp on BLM land in my great state of Arizona.
I’m a Arizona native. I’ve never heard of a requirement to have a permit to camp on BLM land. I called the BLM today and asked about it. They said it wasn’t necessary.
I’ve camped all over Arizona my entire life. The only areas that I know of that requires a permit is on the Indian reservations.
Would you please elaborate on why a permit is necessary?
Is this a quartzite thing? I’ve never camped there. Probably never will but am interested in why the permit.
It's because it's LTVA, Long Term Visitor Areas which require a permit. It's $40 for 14 days not 30 days. I believe others areas are free. Looking at the brochure it's 7 areas in Arizona and California.
Hot Springs near El Centro
Tamarisk near border
Pilot Knob near Yuma
Imperial Dam near Yuma
Mule Mountain near No Where
Midland near Blythe
La Posa at Quartzsite

Quartzsite La Posa LTVA
https://www.blm.gov/visit/la-posa-lo...m-visitor-area

MAP
https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...erted%5D_0.pdf
Old 12-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
We've been there 3 times and that should be more than enough, but we will be in Palm Desert, CA visiting my daughter's new place and may head there for a few days. We usually grab a spot just south of the big tent and walk over. We have no toad to get around town so we are limited to a few blocks. Seems the flea markets are all selling the same stuff.
How secure do you feel your RV is while you are out walking around?

Just curious if the area attracts any individuals that like to help themselves to things belonging to others.

Most interested in the more remote sites around the area. I have a TT and can use the truck to explore but am curious how big a chain I need to secure all my gear?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #7

Hi Titanmike,

I have been in the various free and pay areas around Quartzsite the last two years. I regularly duck into town for the RV show stuff, supplies, fuel, etc. I also have left my unit for complete day excursions on more than one occasion, and never had a problem. Cumulatively, we are talking about 130 days or so of parking in the desert there.

No guarantee for the future, but I will have no real concerns the next time I winter over there.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi Titanmike,

I have been in the various free and pay areas around Quartzsite the last two years. I regularly duck into town for the RV show stuff, supplies, fuel, etc. I also have left my unit for complete day excursions on more than one occasion, and never had a problem. Cumulatively, we are talking about 130 days or so of parking in the desert there.

No guarantee for the future, but I will have no real concerns the next time I winter over there.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Thank you for the response. I'm heading there on Jan 1 with no time frame to arrive or leave. Since it's my first trip to that area I was just wondering.

I hear there is lots to see but even more if you can jump in the truck and make several day trips around there.

Thanks again.

Mike

Old 12-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

I'll be there for the big week with the ham group.

Brandi
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #10

We'll be there the 18th thru the 24th. We are staying in an RV park in town with 4 other trailers.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #11

We were there last year and we had a blast. We will be back Jan 17 thru 25 with a group of friends. We will be camping on the BLM west of town.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #12

Looks like the Govt shut down has closed the LTVA I have used in the past. Read they are ticketing anyone who doesn't already have a paid pass. Plus the dumpsters aren't being picked up and trash has overflowed. Going to be areal mess when the winds whip up. May still go and head out to Scadden Wash if that's still open. Only problem is no toad to get back into town and the Big Tent. Means trying to find a parking spot.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Looks like the Govt shut down has closed the LTVA I have used in the past. Read they are ticketing anyone who doesn't already have a paid pass. Plus the dumpsters aren't being picked up and trash has overflowed. Going to be areal mess when the winds whip up. May still go and head out to Scadden Wash if that's still open. Only problem is no toad to get back into town and the Big Tent. Means trying to find a parking spot.
According to a statement from the Mayor of Quartzsite I read online, all the LTVA's around town are open. Lots of "closed" postings from the last shutdown a r still showing online. Make sure to check the date of the post

I'm sitting right now in a nearly empty area about a mile up Plomosa Rd. Weather is just changing as a storm blew through last night. Will be sunny and mid 60's for the week but that forecast came from the internet so can it be believed? [emoji848][emoji848][emoji16][emoji16]

Old 01-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #14
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Weather is just changing as a storm blew through last night. Will be sunny and mid 60's for the week but that forecast came from the internet so can it be believed? [emoji848][emoji848][emoji16][emoji16]
Just saw the local weather on TV here in Yuma...

Mid-60's this week and rain possible next Saturday.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:52 AM   #15

Hope you are right. We like to stay at La Posa west LTVA just south of the Big tent and within walking distance. Hope to go on Tuesday , week of the show. Maybe get some Battle Born Lithium’s if on sale.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:45 AM   #16

We are thinking about going down for a few days, like Saturday to Monday. How crazy is it to find a spot? We are a 44' Toyhauler.

We have to be in Anaheim on Tuesday, so we figured what the heck
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote