Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Are we too long to camp within Yellowstone National Park?

We have a 21FBRS TT being towed by an F-150 short bed crew cab. We purchased this smaller TT with plans to travel to Yellowstone and other western National Parks now that we have retired. While trying to make online reservations within Yellowstone, we were surprised to discover that they use a combined bumper to bumper criteria and our small TT/F-150 setup may be too long to camp in campgrounds inside the park. Our combined bumper to bumper length is 41 ft. and there is nothing to reserve when greater than 40 ft. We boondock regularly so hookups would be nice but not necessary. I did not anticipate any issues since our TT is only 22 ft. long. Have I interpreted this requirement correctly? Where do people with longer TTs camp while in Yellowstone? We are so disappointed. Any help would be welcome.
jwalt313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Which campground? Apparently there are like a dozen in Yellowstone. What is the link of the website listing this combined limit?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
Site Team

The 40' number generally for a single vehicle. Unless you stay hooked up, you park the truck next to or crossways in front of the trailer.
Our old Roo HTT was about the same length and we easily fit in our sites, at Madison and Grant. We also could've easily fit in sites at Fishing Bridge, Canyon and Mammoth.
You'll be fine in any 40' site.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #4

From what I understand, these are the only ones that take reservations

https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl.../stay/camping/
jwalt313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm These are the 5 I found that take advance reservations.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt313 View Post
From what I understand, these are the only ones that take reservations

https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl.../stay/camping/
As NJKris noted, 5 of the major YNP campgrounds take reservations. Others are first come-first served.
I would recommend any of the 5, except Fishing Bridge campground. Since we dont need hookups, we prefer larger and more natural campsites, to the layout of FB campground. If you can dry camp, that opens up a lot more choices.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #7

National Parks Length Limits

Here's a link to the length limits for TTs in National Parks. They do vary somewhat from park to park.

https://www.us-parks.com/tips/rv-and...er-length.html
Tblakinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #8

We have a 5th wheel and love staying at Grizzly RV Resort, in West Yellowstone, just outside the West gate.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #9

We stayed in Fishing Bridge with a 35' overall length with no problem in a motorhome.
As long as you can unhook from the truck and park the truck up front or on the side FB sites will be fine. Not the greatest park but it is nice having electric and water AND not having to fight the lines entering the park from the much nicer parks outside the gate,,,that are also more expensive. You need to reserve as soon as you can IF spots are still available. Lots more demand than supply of sites with electric inside the park.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #10

I have a 25' trailer and stayed at Fishing Bridge and Madison campgrounds in the park in 2017. There are only a few sites that size in Canyonlands campground and they go fast. You need to call the campground reservation number and tell them your rig size and they'll tell you what is available. Madison has no electric so I used a quiet generator for a few days. Also stayed in campground in West Yellowstone.

Fishing Bridge has very very tight spots. Next time I go I'll stretch my rig size a couple of feet when making my reservation. It may also grow a slide out on the right side to accompany the one on the driving side. I had to park my truck within a couple of feet from my camper door. It appears they took pull through campsites and converted each to two back in ones. It's a disgrace. They didn't want to expand the campground a couple of acres. Park service probably forced this. But, its the optimal single place to camp in the park. So little accommodation for campers and they seem to have beaucoup parking for all the hotels.

If you want to go next summer you should get reservations soon.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #11

We have stayed in West Thumb/Grant Village (reserveable NPS campground) and there were several campers and RVs that were much larger than our rig, or the one you have. It can be a tad tight though. You may not be able to extend an awning due to trees, or you might have to park your tow vehicle crosswise, but still very do-able.

And the sooner you can reserve, the better.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #12

Fishing Bridge RV Park will be undergoing a renovation/redesign in 2019 and 2020 and are unavailable for reservations at this time.
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2camp View Post
Fishing Bridge RV Park will be undergoing a renovation/redesign in 2019 and 2020 and are unavailable for reservations at this time.
I wonder if this renovation will make things better or worse. This is the worst park campground (size) I have ever stayed in, advantaged only by its location.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #14

We stayed at Henry’s Lake State Park. It’s about 8 miles from West entrance to Yellowstone. Beautiful park, decent rate.
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
SJB

Quote:
We have a 21FBRS TT being towed by an F-150 short bed crew cab. We purchased this smaller TT with plans to travel to Yellowstone and other western National Parks now that we have retired. While trying to make online reservations within Yellowstone, we were surprised to discover that they use a combined bumper to bumper criteria and our small TT/F-150 setup may be too long to camp in campgrounds inside the park. Our combined bumper to bumper length is 41 ft. and there is nothing to reserve when greater than 40 ft. We boondock regularly so hookups would be nice but not necessary. I did not anticipate any issues since our TT is only 22 ft. long. Have I interpreted this requirement correctly? Where do people with longer TTs camp while in Yellowstone? We are so disappointed. Any help would be welcome.
We camped with a 24 foot trailer at the RVs only campground at Fishing Bridge. We tow with a super crew cab short bed truck.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #16

We stayed at Grant Village in July Traveling in a 28ft TT, 20ft Truck. I called the reservation office to make reservation. I told the agent the size of our equipment he said okay he could book that. We had a pull thru loop site. There were many campers our size and larger in our section. Try calling instead of online
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #17

Quote:
I was in Yellowstone this past summer and while I did not camp within the park I saw several trailers much longer than yours in the campgrounds. If the limit of 40 feet was on the combined length that would exclude 90% of the trailer/tow vehicle combinations on the road today!
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #18

Yellowstone

The one Yellowstone camp that can take larger rigs, Fishing Bridge will be shutdown thru 2020'. I was told 45' combined length-very few. There are several campgrounds that have side by side campsites where you can pull truck in next to camper. We were at Bridge Bay in September for a week w/ F350 long bed and total length 31' TT. Very tight, I had to pull off the road and back up into site. Had to do the same to re-hook. I am probable 6' longer than your rig. Call YS and ask for a "Side by Side" site, there are like 10 in the whole park. We called 9 months in advance to get our's for mid-September. We hit Glacier and Grand Teton also. Depending when you go, you will want reservations. We made reservations @ Headwaters for Grand Teton and then asked rangers when "First Come" campgrounds were filling and then moved to a more central camp ground. Our favorite was Jenny Lake area at Grand Teton. Taking the boat across the lake and the hike to Inspiration Point and beyond was great.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #19

Quote:

well the best thing is to tell them your at 39' then . they do not come out with tape measures to check and a couple feet won't make a difference . My TH is 33'11" but box is 29 so that's the length i use when asked
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I have a 25' trailer and stayed at Fishing Bridge and Madison campgrounds in the park in 2017. There are only a few sites that size in Canyonlands campground and they go fast. You need to call the campground reservation number and tell them your rig size and they'll tell you what is available. Madison has no electric so I used a quiet generator for a few days. Also stayed in campground in West Yellowstone.

Fishing Bridge has very very tight spots. Next time I go I'll stretch my rig size a couple of feet when making my reservation. It may also grow a slide out on the right side to accompany the one on the driving side. I had to park my truck within a couple of feet from my camper door. It appears they took pull through campsites and converted each to two back in ones. It's a disgrace. They didn't want to expand the campground a couple of acres. Park service probably forced this. But, its the optimal single place to camp in the park. So little accommodation for campers and they seem to have beaucoup parking for all the hotels.

If you want to go next summer you should get reservations soon.
Fishing bridge was closed last year as they are re-doing the whole camp ground when it re-opens it will be able to take larger rigs
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote