Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #1

Austin, Texas to Denver, Colorado in June

DW and I are planning a trip this June. Any suggestions to campgrounds and sites to see?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #2

If you want to spend a little time in the Colorado Springs area for, Pikes Peak, Air Force Academy, Garden Of The Gods, etc. You might want to stay at the Air Force Academy Famcamp (Peregrine Pines). Full hookup rv sites and reservations can be made 60 days in advance for reservists (retired also). We like to go there via Amarillo, TX "Overnight Rv Park" (one night) and then onto the academy via Raton Pass. Google peregrine pines campground air force academy. This is a very popular Famcamp and reservations should be made as early as possible within that 60 day time frame. Last years rate was $24 a day.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you want to spend a little time in the Colorado Springs area for, Pikes Peak, Air Force Academy, Garden Of The Gods, etc. You might want to stay at the Air Force Academy Famcamp (Peregrine Pines). Full hookup rv sites and reservations can be made 60 days in advance for reservists (retired also). We like to go there via Amarillo, TX "Overnight Rv Park" (one night) and then onto the academy via Raton Pass. Google peregrine pines campground air force academy. This is a very popular Famcamp and reservations should be made as early as possible within that 60 day time frame. Last years rate was $24 a day.

Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts about Abilene, Texas area?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #4

Have only stayed one night in Abilene at the KOA. No issues. Dyess AFB Abilene does have a Famcamp (18 spaces) but am not familiar with it. If going to Denver we take I35 (I35W) to US287 all the way to Denver. Strasburg KOA on I70 just outside Denver is ok. If we want to spend some time in Albuquerque then Austin to Abilene to Lubbock/Clovis/Santa Rosa is the way we travel. We stay at American RV Park just West of Albuquerque on I40.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Have only stayed one night in Abilene at the KOA. No issues. Dyess AFB Abilene does have a Famcamp (18 spaces) but am not familiar with it. If going to Denver we take I35 (I35W) to US287 all the way to Denver. Strasburg KOA on I70 just outside Denver is ok. If we want to spend some time in Albuquerque then Austin to Abilene to Lubbock/Clovis/Santa Rosa is the way we travel. We stay at American RV Park just West of Albuquerque on I40.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

The NRA Whitington Center just south of Raton, NM is a nice stop. Nice open sites and wildlife all over. There is a real nice museum and gift shop as well.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
The NRA Whitington Center just south of Raton, NM is a nice stop. Nice open sites and wildlife all over. There is a real nice museum and gift shop as well.

Thanks for the info. We appreciate all the help

Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown View Post
Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts about Abilene, Texas area?
It's not directly in Abilene, but you might consider Abilene State Park.
Abilene State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

And if you're going through Amarillo, I would recommend spending some time at the country's second largest canyon at Palo Duro Canyon State Park.
Palo Duro Canyon State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

And if you decide to stay in these parks, check out the available passes to save on daily entrance fees:
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-information/passes/park-passes

And I would recommend getting reservations as early as possible since you're going in summer.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
It's not directly in Abilene, but you might consider Abilene State Park.
Abilene State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

And if you're going through Amarillo, I would recommend spending some time at the country's second largest canyon at Palo Duro Canyon State Park.
Palo Duro Canyon State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

And if you decide to stay in these parks, check out the available passes to save on daily entrance fees:
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-information/passes/park-passes

And I would recommend getting reservations as early as possible since you're going in summer.

I went through basic training and tech school at Amarillo in 1967. Remember going to Palo Duro Canyon but don't remember much about it. Thanks again for all the tips. We are leaving north Georgia Memorial Day weekend and working our way to Austin. Then leaving Austin headed toward Denver.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #10

We live near FTW and have traveled to northern Colorado several times.
We hate 287 from Dumas to Limon. The little stretch of the Oklahoma panhandle is one big pothole.
Simplest is 35 all the way to Salina KS turn left.
Go through FTW it's the lesser of the evils.

Me, I'd go to Abilene and spend a day then Lubbock and a day then Palo duro Canyon for 2 or 3.Raton has a great campground up near the peak. Colorado Springs several days. I'd take a couple of weeks getting there.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #11

I hope you have lots of time to enjoy all that is there is to see. We spent 7 weeks in Colorado last year. We bought an annual state parks pass.

From Dallas we travel 287 north. Our first stop is Ole Towne Cotton Gin RV Park in Goodlett TX. Just right distance for our first stop.
In Dumas TX there is a city park with RV electrical connections for overnight stay. No charge but donations accepted.
We went west from Dumas and stayed several days at Trinidad Lake State Park in Co. From there we took a day trip on CO Highway 12 "Scenic Highway of Legends".
Just west of Walsenburg is Lathrop State Park. And then farther west into the San Juan valley is the Great Sand Dunes National Park.
Near Colorado Springs on I-25 is Cheyenne Mountain State Park.
Near Denver we have stayed at Chatfield State Park and Golden Gate State Park.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
KD5OUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #12

Come to the real Colorado

Chief,

If you're going to come all the way to Colorado and stay on the front range (I-25 corridor) you're not really going to see Colorado. Yes, Garden of the Gods, AF Academy, and Pikes Peak are all nice and worth seeing. Head into the Rockies! Salida, Buena Vista, Leadville, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc. Check out Chaffee county's web site Buena Vista & Salida, Colorado vacations guide: Chaffee County Visitors Bureau.

It's worth the extra distance.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #13

Went to Palo Duro during supply school in '66. Have returned numerous times when at Cannon AFB - 86 - 89. Live in Dripping Springs TX now, also a CMsgt Retired.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #14

Use U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home to look for FamCamps along the way.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingDuo View Post
Went to Palo Duro during supply school in '66. Have returned numerous times when at Cannon AFB - 86 - 89. Live in Dripping Springs TX now, also a CMsgt Retired.

I was in the last supply (645x0) class to go through the school at Amarillo. It moved to Denver.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #16

You guys have been so helpful. We are on a somewhat limited schedule so all these tips are very beneficial. Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #17

We've crossed paths somewhere. Let us know when you get to Austin and maybe we can chat. There are a couple of RV spots nearby.

Have a safe journey!