Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

Az, Ut NP swing

Planning a trip for probably Sept to make a circle of northern Az and southern Ut national parks:

Painted desert petrified forest
Maybe a corner in Winslow, Az
Grand canyon North and South rims
Zion
Bryce
Arches
Canyonlands

Will be taking I40 from Tn. Any suggestions on other stops, campgrounds, etc. Would be great. We are glampers and like full hookups and concrete pads where available. TIA, everyone has been great on the forum.

FYI I have been doing searches herevand getting a lot of info but a lot of posts are older and want to make sure I have current information.
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

I mapped out your stops here to help me visualize:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Memp...38.3268693!3e0

Taking I40 out of TN, you'll run right through Amarillo. The Cadillac Ranch is a fun quick stop. There's an RV park there called Oasis that is paved pull-thrus. Nice park.

When you're going from Grand Canyon to Zion, you'll be right near Page, AZ. In Page is Antelope Canyon. It's very commercialized and a little expensive but absolutely beautiful to do a tour. We did Lower Antelope Canyon and loved it. A little physical with climbing "ladders" (aka stairs mostly) but my whole family did it just fine.

While in Page, there is Horseshoe Bend. This is a short up-hill/down-hill walk to Horseshoe Bend. This is an absolutely beautiful overlook of the river. Like postcard beautiful.

For Page, we stayed 40 miles away towards Kanab at a horse farm/ranch. Full hookups but not paved. It was neat, though, for something different. Paria River Ranch.

For Moab, we have stayed both at Archview RV Resort and OK RV Park. Neither was paved and Archview was nicer and more convenient to locations. But it was a good bit more expensive. OK RV Park was gravel lot and grass spots; right next to the arena. We walked over and saw a rodeo while we were there.

We drove to Canyonlands from Moab. If you're into hiking, one of the neater hikes was to Corona Arch. It was a lot of sun and a fair amount of steady up hill. But well worth it to hang out under the arch. In Moab, if you want to whet your whistle, Woody's Tavern was a good night hangout. The Mexican drive-thru is fantastic. Sunset Grill was a good anniversary dinner for my wife and I. And the Moab Diner is a good old fashioned diner; not great food- but the manager treated us real nice.

I was frankly disappointed by the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The Lodge is beautiful but doesn't overlook the actual GC. You have to drive to the very end of the overlooks for 1 that has a view of it. Pretty, but I thought we were going to see something grand. Met one of my most favorite park rangers there, but she doesn't work there any longer.

I've heard that Petrified Forest gets mixed reviews. Some like it, some aren't crazy about it. We stayed in Holbrook at another place called OK RV Park- just gravel spots but full hookups. There's a good mexican restaurant Alibertos or something like that across the main road from the RV park.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
Always Learning

p.s. I'm super jealous. I love that area.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
And here I'm jealous of you... LOL

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
And here I'm jeqlous of you... LOL
Isn't it amazing how that goes?
Old 02-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
ependydad, wow great reply on the options and campgrounds. I really appreciate it! Thanks
Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

Tough to go wrong with any of those locations - awesome trip!
We did stay at the Trailer Village RV park at the South Rim last October (so a little bit off of the busy season) and loved it. It's located a 10 minute walk (or 5 minute bike ride) from the actual rim and visitors center. Not super cheap, but you can't beat the location as it's the only RV option in the National Park itself. Also, close to some of the park restaurants with a handy shuttle service.
If you're coming from the North Rim through Page (and yes, Antelope Canyon and other slot canyons are pretty cool!), head up Route 64 to the East Entrance to the park and check out Desert View Watchtower. Then it's a beautiful drive west to the Grand Canyon Village.
Enjoy!
Old 02-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #8

Thanks gonesouth10 I appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #9

Be certain to add Mesa Verde NP to your list. You are nearby and it is an incredible place.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #10

Following, we are going in May.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
Dahagen

Don't miss Mesa Verde National Park as mentioned above. It is the best NP in the West after Yellowstone.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #12

We've done part of your trip a couple of times.

For camping near the South Rim, we camped the KOA in Williams and the RV park near the Grand Canyon Railway https://www.thetrain.com/lodging/rv-park/ . That is a luxury rv park that resembles a parking lot, but has lots of amenities. Many people take the train to the park, book and overnight stay at the lodge to see the sunrise/sunset in the canyon and take the train back the next day. Once you're in the park, there are buses to various areas.

We like camping in state parks, but for trips near major attractions, we frequently find ourselves at KOA's for the full hookups and conveniences. Plus they are usually near highways and on our route and they have a app that lets you make reservations from your phone or computer. For Mesa Verde, we ended up at the KOA there.

They have a trip planner that may help https://koa.com/trip-planner/

Have a great trip.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Be certain to add Mesa Verde NP to your list. You are nearby and it is an incredible place.
Thanks cedarcreekwoody I was planning Mesa Verde National Park with Rocky Mountain and black canyon on another trip.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Don't miss Mesa Verde National Park as mentioned above. It is the best NP in the West after Yellowstone.
Here are some of my favorite places in southern Utah. "The Wave" located in Coyote Buttes between Page, AZ and Kanab, Utah. Google it to see the pictures and learn how to enter the online lottery or the daily lottery. They only allow 10 daily and 10 online permits a day. It's a 3 mile trek though the desert to get there so take plenty of water, but well worth the hike. Sept is a great time to visit, not quite as hot. Make sure to drive Rt 12 from Rt 89 to Rt 24, this takes you past Bryce Canyon and just east on Rt 24 is Capitol Reef NP. Rt 12 is one of the great scenic drives in the US. Kodachrome Basin SP is located off SR12 in Cannonville, Utah. Just past Capitol Reef NP is Goblin Valley SP, which is full of these wonderful mushroom like rock formations.

There is a wonderful animal shelter, if you're an animal lover, in Kanab, Utah called the Best Friends Animal Rescue Society that rescues all kinds of animals and has a wonderful pet cemetery. This is a really huge animal shelter. Also, just thought of Natural Bridges National Monument just off Rt 95 out of Blanding, Utah. There is much more to see in southern Utah, but these are some that I enjoyed visiting.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #15

Az, Ut NP swing

When going to Bryce, stay at Ruby’s RV. Fantastic place and the shuttle picks up right in front and takes you into the park. From Zion it’s about 2 towing hours on 15 to the 20 then back to 89. I think it’s a nice drive

Dawn and dusk - you can see wildlife along the back fence. FYI- if you run low on beer, buy it at the gas station across the street vs their store.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3702.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	197411Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3482.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	197412Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3536.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	197413

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #16

Favorite campgrounds in Utah

Our favorites are Kodachrome, Goblin and Dead Horse Point. Dead Horse doesn’t have water so you need to pack your own. It is also difficult to get into so book early. All are marvelous in their own way. Safe travels and have a great time!
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #17

I don't think you mentioned how much time you had available. Before we retired we started to.plan a similar trip, but we only had 10 days. When I started to calculate the mileage and time I realized the only way we could do it in 10 days was driving through the parks without stopping. Each of the parks needs several days at least. Since we've retired and can spend as much time on the road as we want, we've been to all the places mentioned in the responses, and they are all spectacular. And don't overlook Sedona.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #18

We enjoy this area so much that 14 trips have not been enough. You are getting some great advice, so just to add a thought, if you want to see a real, quality trading post with very good prices go west on Hwy. 64 out of Shiprock to Teec Nos Pos, AZ. Visit a little, ask to see the rug room (a clerk will accompany you) and also look over the silver and stone work. You can route back north a couple ways, one thru 4 Corners on Hwy 160.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:09 AM   #19
New to FR. Old to TT

We did that trip 2 years ago in the spring starting in Grand canyon then most of the stops you said ending at Glacier, we just made the road to the sun at June 28th , normally open early June. My suggestion would be to start from the North and head south, with all our screwy weather you would be running ahead of the cold. Bring lots of water on the Corona Arch hike, well worth the hike. Loved Moab , lots to do if you feel adventuresome do the Shafer Pass from Canyon Land park. We did it in my GMC 2500 dura max, what a rush!!!!! for ME NOT my wife
Old 02-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #20

We did a tour of one day per park. If that is all the time you have, it is still worth the trip. If you have time, while in Page, take a boat tour to Rainbow bridge. It is like nothing else you've ever seen. You can go on the tour boat, or rent a small boat. I went once when I was 20, and I bought a boat and have been going back for the last 45 years. Painted Desert and Petrified Forest, seem tame compared to the other parks.