Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Badlands

Normally we go to Florida every year but this May/June we are considering going to the Badlands, Yellowstone, etc. We live in western Kentucky so will start from there. My question is how MH friendly is the Badlands? We have a 2011 GT 378 and since it has only 10,000 miles on it we need to use it or sell it! I know we will have to be careful with the overpasses and not peel my roof.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

Much would depend on the route you want to take to see what you wish to see .

I looked for a week before picking the way we went to Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon so we could see as much as we could.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Much would depend on the route you want to take to see what you wish to see .

I looked for a week before picking the way we went to Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon so we could see as much as we could.

Good point. It will be this summer so I have time to plan my route.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

We were there in Oct (I am assuming SD). We drove the car through the Bad Lands but there was no reason we could not have taken the GT. You will need a toad if you want to do the Needles Highway or the Iron Mountain because of the tunnels in Custer State park. We loved Custer State Park.

Don't forget about Wall Drug and Mt Rushmore.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

We stopped there on the way to Alaska last summer. We pulled a 30 foot trailer with our pickup. I assume you have a vehicle other than the MH to drive when you get there. If so then you can go anywhere in the area. There are a few roads near Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park that could be a problem if you are driving the MH. The main roads all have plenty of width and height clearance. Have fun, we had a great time there.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #6

Currently we don't pull a toad but it sounds like I need to see if one of our cars will work.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #7

When we were in S.D. there were several rented MH's at or near Rushmore but they were smallish I doubt you want to try and park it at any historical sites.
A toad or bicycle's or even a motorcycle is going to save you big time.

Mount Rushmore Camping, directory of camping and campgrounds for Keystone

Keystone is two miles out if that is not to far.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

We took a motorcycle ride from Texas to Wyoming, spent some time at Sturgis (a few weeks before the rally), went to Wall Drug and Rushmore, did the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain and absolutely loved it. One reason why we want to go back SOON if possible and spend more time, do a little more exploring. A lot of the roads as mentioned above are absolutely not usable for TT of any size or really even a big dually truck. There is a nice KOA campground at the base of Devil's Tower (not sure of prices or sizes of rv sites yet) and we would like to go there and spend some camping/hiking time. DH doesn't want to pull 5er and trailer with motorcycles so we will take bicycles for some short rides and will be limited by where we can go because of truck. It is just a great place.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
Director, FROG

You asked specifically about the Badlands. You'll have no issue with driving through the Badlands in your RV. We've done it with 40-foot diesel pulling a toad. There are plenty of places where you can pull off of the main park road and park.

There's a campground at the Visitor Center about halfway through the park, but I believe it's dry camping. About 1/2 mile south of the Visitor Center, just outside the boundary of the park, is a KOA where we stayed. There's also a small campground right at the exit for the east entrance to the park, just across the road from the office where you can sign up for tours of shuttered Minuteman missile silos. If you come out of the park at the west exit, you'll be right a Wall, SD and the Wall Drug Store.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #10

Has anyone been there in mid-May? We intended to go in mid-June but the other party cannot go at that time. My question is how much colder is it in May? Our other option is to go back to Florida instead.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Has anyone been there in mid-May? We intended to go in mid-June but the other party cannot go at that time. My question is how much colder is it in May? Our other option is to go back to Florida instead.
Using the information from Rapid City, about an hour to the west, it appears that average May temperatures are about 10 degrees cooler than June, but still with highs in the mid-60s and lows in the low-40s.
Climate Rapid City - South Dakota and Weather averages Rapid City

The Rapid City CVB says spring temperatures can range from highs in the 40's to the 80's, so just prepare to layer.

BTW, when you're driving through the Badlands, try to be there near sunset or sunrise. The low rays of the sun cause the colors to be really intense. They tend to wash out somewhat in the midday sun.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #12

Dang...reading this thread has me seriously thinking of making this my second camping trip of the year....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #13

Save Florida for another time. Work your way to I-90 at Sioux Falls, SD, then go West. See the Badlands, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse stay on I-90 for Little Big Horn. Get off I-90 at Livingston, MT and drive down to Gardiner, MT. Stay at Rocky Mountain RV Park, just outside the north entrance to Yellowstone. Go and drive the Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway, go down to the Grand Teton's then head back east. I'm back out West for the third time this summer, can't get enough of it, then again I live in FL.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #14

I've been to Yellowstone twice (1990, 1994) in mid-June. Snowed both times.

You never know. Be prepared for hot or cold.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Save Florida for another time. Work your way to I-90 at Sioux Falls, SD, then go West. See the Badlands, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse stay on I-90 for Little Big Horn. Get off I-90 at Livingston, MT and drive down to Gardiner, MT. Stay at Rocky Mountain RV Park, just outside the north entrance to Yellowstone. Go and drive the Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway, go down to the Grand Teton's then head back east. I'm back out West for the third time this summer, can't get enough of it, then again I live in FL.

This sounds like a great trip. My question is how long will it take from Western KY? We have only about 12 days before we have to get back home.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #16

From Louisville to Rapid Ciy, SD is about 1,200 miles. A round trip is about 8 days at 300 miles a day. So the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore may be the limit. Going out West does take time, but do put on your bucket list. Another nice trip is go North to VT, NH, Maine. Not so far, cool in May/June. Seneca Lake, NY, Burlington, VT on Lake Champlain, White Mts in NH, not flat like GA, FL.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote