Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #21

We took our motorhome for it's shakedown trip to Doheny since it's about 3/4 mile away. If I really messed something up I could easily get us home, LOL!
Right about the first few rows being nice beach camping, but I wouldn't want to be in that back area by the road and RR tracks! The Boneyard outdoor cafe is on the Doheny Beach boardwalk, where they rent bikes and surreys. Really nice large grass picnic area with BBQs, too. If you have a toad, check out the Marine Institute just down the road about a mile.

Funny about the so. CA beaches, there are many, but each has its own characteristics. I haven't camped or even been to Malibu, but camped at Carpinteria once in the mid 1980s. Another neighbor takes their pop up there. It's on my list. Pismo as well. Never camped there, but have been to that area a lot.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #22

Terier, I backed our MH into its parking lot style spot at Silver Strand. A nearby camper walked over to help guide me in straight. I also rely on the backup camera, but it was pretty easy. Give it a try. The beach is stunning!
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:49 AM   #23
Site Team

Thanks for the thump ups. Maybe I can take a day trip and check it out before I return to work.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i was also born and raised in California. also worked for the state for 37 years until i retired, mostly as a state firefighter/EMT.
but the "CA politics" are more than just immigration issues. couldn't take what my home state has been turned into anymore. and it's a terrible state for retirement.
that's why i moved out after living there for 60 years.

it's still the most beautiful state in the Union. i was able to surf in the morning and snowboard in the afternoon. no other state has such natural diversity. that's what i miss the most.

but the politics there make it a place i couldn't put up with anymore.
You've said it pretty well. Born and raised there myself; moved to rural MO 17 years ago, and would never ever consider moving back. That being said, we still love to visit- knowing that we're going home shortly.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #25

Norcal Beaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
Which CA beach campgrounds are your favorites?
I like Doran Campground and Bodega Dunes (Bodega Bay Area)
Old 11-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #26
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
You can go from surf'n to skiing in an hour, east or west of Portland
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #27

I have not lost anything in California. Now Oregon or Washington are nice places to camp.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #28

We live in Northern CA but just returned from Harris Beach State Park in Southern Oregon. Great location. Heading to Mendocino next trip.
ShastaJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #29
Newb

Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park
Stealth FQ2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:06 PM   #30
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Beverly Beach...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaJammer View Post
We live in Northern CA but just returned from Harris Beach State Park in Southern Oregon. Great location. Heading to Mendocino next trip.
Have you tried Russian Gulch ? tent camped there years ago, very nice. there is a blow hole and a short waterfall hike
Old 12-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #32

We haven't tried Russian Gulch yet. Thanks for the tip! We are looking at Little River and Caspar beach park for this month.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #33

Has anyone stayed at Westport RV park north of Ft Bragg, CA? Thoughts? We have a 34' trailer so places are limited on Northern CA beaches.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #34

Neptune Beach, Alameda

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neptune_Beach_Alameda_California_226.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	131414  
Old 03-10-2017, 01:26 AM   #35

Quote:
i was also born and raised in California. also worked for the state for 37 years until i retired, mostly as a state firefighter/EMT.
but the "CA politics" are more than just immigration issues. couldn't take what my home state has been turned into anymore. and it's a terrible state for retirement.

it's still the most beautiful state in the Union. i was able to surf in the morning and snowboard in the afternoon. no other state has such natural diversity. that's what i miss the most.

Totally agree with absolutely everything you have said. Having said that, I've only camped in about 3-4 different beach campgrounds, and I wasn't impressed with any of them. Never camped south of the LA area, and never camped north of Carpinteria, so there may very well be some nice campgrounds, especially further north. I just haven't seen them.

(Moved away 18 years ago. Go back every couple of years to see friends and family and eat at good restaurants.)
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Which CA beach campgrounds are your favorites?
My favorite beach campgrounds are Carpinteria and Refugio. A lot has changed though over the years and you definitely need to plan ahead. You can reserve online 7 months ahead through Reserve America, https://www.reserveamerica.com/campg...ontractCode=CA

I heard Rincon is nice too and that is first come first served. It's boondocking only. County of Ventura - Rincon Parkway

Pismo, Avila and Morro Bay off season is great too. Lots of people come to the Central Coast during the summer months, but actually that is not when we have our best weather.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #37

I belong to a Facebook California RV Camping Group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/CaliforniaRVCamping/ Lots of great suggestions and photos there. This beach was suggested: Caspar Beach RV Park, Untitled Page
Old 03-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #38

Quote:

Hear you loud and clear on this. My hubby is from L.A. and myself originally from NY, so I love California for the weather and it's beauty. We just moved back 2 years ago to be close to our daughter and grandsons, and now we are really concerned about all the political craziness. It's really scary what is going on, and it's getting very expensive to retire and live here. The liberals claim they are good for the middle class, absolutely NOT TRUE. They raise taxes faster than anyone. Also, crime is not crime here. Felonies changed in an instant to misdemeanors. We want to be close to our grandchildren but are definitely having second thoughts about moving here. Ugh. Well, another reason to get that motorhome. If we have to leave in a hurry, at least we're mobile!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Morro Bay is on my go to list.
Morro Bay is nice, but I love Cayucos, just north of Morro Bay. Not sure if there's an RV park there. If so, it's a small one with limitations. Visit Brown Butter Cookie Company when you come!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #40
Too old to be too smart

Winter is the only time we even THINK about camping at the beach. Summer's are a zoo, and impossible to get reservations.

Lessee, California beaches.... We've done a few, but two favorites come to mind.

We like Faria. It's easy to get to and close to the water.

If we decide to go farther, Jalama is a nice place, but the road in and out is narrow, marginally maintained, and time-consuming.

At both of them one kinda' takes their chances on the weather in January and early February.

Oh, one more thing, if the Air Force is launching anything at Vandenburg, they make you evacuate from Jalama before the launch, just in case they have to blow up a rocket-gone-wrong......

Otherwise, it's a great place!

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping