Old 09-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
Some guy in back...

How about Huntington or Bolsa Chica? They are tiger parks, but on the beach. We used to live down that way, but that was before the RV bug hit us...but there was that one week-end in Dana Point in 1982 in my '67 VW Westy...
Good Luck!

'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Mission Bay RV Resort RV Park Campground San Diego, California

Mission Bay RV Resort in San Diego has full hook up, allows month's stay, and is located in a quiet corner of a very popular area.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Mission Bay RV Resort RV Park Campground San Diego, California

Mission Bay RV Resort in San Diego has full hook up, allows month's stay, and is located in a quiet corner of a very popular area.
I think the OP wants sites on or next to the beach.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #14
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think the OP wants sites on or next to the beach.

I see.

The only place I've camped in San Diego where you truly step out RV onto beach/sand is Silver Strand SP in Coronado. I don't know if it allows month long stay. But what I don't like about being so close to beach is the sand blown to your RV in the wind. We camped once at South Carlsbad SB, and had to pack up and leave at midnight when the gust wind was so strong that I was afraid the wind or sand would damage my RV. It is generally much more peaceful on the bay side.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #15

I lived in huntington beach for a long time. try bolsa chica state beach. they have an area for rv's, though it looks like dry camping. same situation with dockweiler state beach just south of marina del rey. I also think there is a state beach near camp Pendleton just south of san clemete, but i'm not sure about this.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
I also think there is a state beach near camp Pendleton just south of san clemete, but i'm not sure about this.
That state beach's campsites are on cliffs, way above the beach, not on the beach.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
I lived in huntington beach for a long time. try bolsa chica state beach. they have an area for rv's, though it looks like dry camping. same situation with dockweiler state beach just south of marina del rey. I also think there is a state beach near camp Pendleton just south of san clemete, but i'm not sure about this.
Sounds like it might be San Onofre. It's a state park campground a few miles south of San Clemente. Not too far from the beach but you will need to drive to it.

Just a heads up that during peak periods camping is limited to one week at some CA state campgrounds.

How able Leo Carrillo state beach? It doesn't have the ocean view but it is a short walk from campsite to the beach. Dohney state beach is directly on the beach but it doesn't have any hookups. I like El Capitan state beach but it's dry camping too. Many of sites are easily walkable to the beach. I also like Crystal Cove Moro but its on a bluff overlooking the ocean. Great views but the walk down the hill is a killer especially if you try to walk back up to camp. Crystal Cove Moro price is a bit higher that other CA state beach campgrounds.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #18

As others have said, your main problem will be finding a spot you can stay in for a month. I believe maximum is 14 days, and during summer months unless you are sitting on your computer at 8 am logged in and ready to make a reservation, 6 months in advance of when you want to go, forget getting a site in any of the state beach campgrounds.

But, assuming those are not issues, in So. CA for on the beach camping, best state beach campgrounds are Bolsa Chica and Doheney. Bolsa Chica is basically a parking lot, but right on the beach with only a narrow bike path separating you from the sand. It has water and electricity hook up, with a dump station in very close by. Doheney, you are practically on the sand, but there are no hookups.

Other state beach campgrounds where you can get an excellent view of the ocean, depending on the site, are Carpenteria, El Capitan, Refugio, San Clemente, Crystal Cove, South Carlsbad, and San Elijo to name a few. I have stayed at all of these, and they are all nice campgrounds. Some have no hookups, some have partial and some have full hookups. Obviously, the size of your RV will make a difference as well on whether you can find a spot or not. These are not on the sand, but mostly on bluffs overlooking the ocean.

For reservations, try ReserveAmerica. If you look for spots in San Diego, Newport Beach and Santa Barbara all of these campgrounds will appear on the list.

For general info, park brochures and campground maps, go to https://www.parks.ca.gov/ParkIndex and look for any of these parks/campgrounds by name.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:39 PM   #19

Thank you everyone who has responded.
Great info, some I had and was aware of others new info. Hoping for that "hidden gem" I guess. Seems long range planning is key, very few had any openings Oct-Nov 2016 so off I go to plan 2017.

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

Yep, beach sites get reserved year round since you can camp year round. There is no off-season for beach campsites.