Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Question Best Route from Rapid City, SD to Jackson Hole, WY

I am looking for advice on routes folks have taken from Rapid City to Jackson Hole. I have run both Mapquest and Good Sam Trip planner and looked at maps. Rather than driving WAY around to stay at lower elevations that all routes have one or more significant climbs. So, in your expert opinions which way to go? Thanks in advance for your response!!
SweetOleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #2

Didn't say when.
My suggestion at this time, is to avoid 191 up from the south of Jackson. If you come up through Riverton and Dubois to Moran junction it is a fantastic route with the windriver range to the south. I don't remember any serious climbs, but I pull a popup behind a truck so I might not notice them.

Also recommend checking forest fire data to see if any are in the immediate area and roads are close.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

I would take I90 from Rapid City to Buffalo WY then Hwy 16 over powder river pass to Worland. Hwy 20 south to Thermopolis and through Wind River Canyon to Shoshoni. Hwy 26 to Riverton and then west through Dubois and over Togwotee pass to Moran junction and then into Jackson right in front of the Tetons.

Hwy 16 from Buffalo over Powder River Pass is steeper on the east side going up from Buffalo but not bad. The west side gong down into Tensleep has one switchback. The pass is beautiful with several forest service campgrounds. Thermopolis has a great Dinosaur Museum and Hot Springs with several pools and water slides. Wind River Canyon is also gorgeous with white water rafting available.

Dubois and Togwotee pass are nice but a lot of beetle kill forest over the pass - sad! On a clear day, the first view of the Tetons from the top of the pass is breathtaking.
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks