Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #1

Best route from Vegas to Reno

We are heading out of Fort Worth the first week of June for an 11 state, 30+ day trip to the west and northwest. We are heading to Grand Canyon first, then on to Vegas for a couple of days. Our trip was planned around an event in Chiloquin Oregon, so we need the best route from Vegas to there. Looking at the maps it looks like I am going to be pulling the trailer across miles and miles of miles and miles as I drive up toward Reno. Is this route okay for trailers or Rv's? I have already bought a couple of good metal 5 gallon gas cans as backup fuel and for the generator when needed. Is there a better route that won't add more than a day or two?

After a 6 day stay in Oregon we are headed across to Salt Lake City, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and back down to Texas via Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma. This will be our longest outing to date and we are looking forward to it. We just don't want to take a route than every other RV'er out there would avoid.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Couldn't find atlas for highway number, but been that way alot, and it's a fine drive. Once out of Los wages, there's things to see. If you head north from Reno, you'll head toward Suzanville and I-5. Depends on what you like to view, but it's a nice drive.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #3

About five years ago I drove from Lake Tahoe to Sedona, via Las Vegas using I95. Admittedly, I wasn't towing at the time but the road was just fine for RV's. If I remember correctly, there was a bit of a climb to get in to Tonopah but nothing that would be too strenuous for a TV and RV. There are plenty of gas stations in the small towns along the way. I just remember it being a long slog with very little traffic until we reached the outskirts of LV

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
We are heading out of Fort Worth the first week of June for an 11 state, 30+ day trip to the west and northwest. We are heading to Grand Canyon first, then on to Vegas for a couple of days. Our trip was planned around an event in Chiloquin Oregon, so we need the best route from Vegas to there. Looking at the maps it looks like I am going to be pulling the trailer across miles and miles of miles and miles as I drive up toward Reno. Is this route okay for trailers or Rv's? I have already bought a couple of good metal 5 gallon gas cans as backup fuel and for the generator when needed. Is there a better route that won't add more than a day or two?

After a 6 day stay in Oregon we are headed across to Salt Lake City, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and back down to Texas via Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma. This will be our longest outing to date and we are looking forward to it. We just don't want to take a route than every other RV'er out there would avoid.
Going from Vegas to Reno on US-95 is a nice, quiet drive. It is primarily a 2-lane highway, but it is wide and well-paved. There is quite a bit of truck traffic, so you'll feel the breeze when they pass ; and, as someone else mentioned, you'll do some gradual climbing from time to time. There's plenty of access to fuel along the way. Mind the speed limits as you enter the small towns.

Enjoy!
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #5

Go 95 to Reno then head to Susanville. 89 to Mt. Shasta and I-5. North to Weed and Hwy 97 to Klamath Falls and Chilquin.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Best Route from Vegas to Reno

Route US 95, distance 448 miles. Good road but boring.
mb1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Very helpful~!

This is exactly the help I was looking for, thank you everyone. When the DW and I were looking at I-95 on Google Earth it looked like there was no fuel stops or they were pretty stretched out. The TV gets about 10 MPG or less, so a 26 gallon tank isn't going to go far; that is why we are going to carry the 2 extra 5 gallon cans. I have pushed a car that was out of gas before, now that I am a bit older I am pretty sure I can't push a TV and 35' TT! LOL!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #8

When you get north of Hawthorne, NV, there is a military bomb range that parallels highway. If you are lucky, you ,may see jets making practice bomb runs.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
When you get north of Hawthorne, NV, there is a military bomb range that parallels highway. If you are lucky, you ,may see jets making practice bomb runs.
'ya, the bunkers are neat, but I haven't seen the planes...... nice lake there also.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #10

just took the 95 from Reno to Vegas fine for Rv's and you have a few area for fuel if needed. I will be approx. 6 to 7 hours at 60mph.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
This is exactly the help I was looking for, thank you everyone. When the DW and I were looking at I-95 on Google Earth it looked like there was no fuel stops or they were pretty stretched out. The TV gets about 10 MPG or less, so a 26 gallon tank isn't going to go far; that is why we are going to carry the 2 extra 5 gallon cans. I have pushed a car that was out of gas before, now that I am a bit older I am pretty sure I can't push a TV and 35' TT! LOL!
There's also a bit of sand here and there, just make believe your at the beach and it'll shorten the ride. Starts getting pretty the further north. On 97, the central Oregon folks use red rock on the shoulders and if it's sunny, the pine trees make a nice contrast. Early morning and dusk travel thru there, one needs to be alert for deer....lots of 'em.

Tags
gas