Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #21

We went there once but can't remember time of year. I'm old, enough said.

If staying at Fishing Bridge inside of the park, I can tell you my 22 foot trailer and 18 foot tow vehicle BARELY fit!

Be prepared for weather extremes. It was raining when we arrived so setting up the trailer in the muck was fun. I used my plastic leveling blocks as walk way steps to get from the some what dry driveway area to the door of the trailer. It also hailed on us while driving around site seeing in the park. It's funny how some people freaked out so bad they just stopped their vehicle on a slope during the hail storm.

We chartered a fishing boat at the lake for a day. The boat captain told us that the lake's water level is rising about and inch a year! Hmmmmmm
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
If staying at Fishing Bridge inside of the park, I can tell you my 22 foot trailer and 18 foot tow vehicle BARELY fit!
Fishing Bridge will be closed in 2019. Hopefully they'll be redoing those sites during their remodel. We had a similar experience with our 21' trailer. Trees on all sides, a ditch in front of the site.... took forever to get it backed in.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #23

I worked as a seasonal ranger at Canyon for eight years. Late May and June, crowds don't start until July, way more animals, especially bears and wolves
Old 08-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #24

Yellowstone visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
I worked as a seasonal ranger at Canyon for eight years. Late May and June, crowds don't start until July, way more animals, especially bears and wolves
I've been to YNP twice. Absolutely loved the 3rd week of June. Still cool, but not crowded at all. As for wildlife, it's baby time! So cute. Might have to try September some time.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #25

Spring before school lets out. We stayed at Henry's Lake SP ID, 20 minutes from the west entrance.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #26

we were there last Sept and it was on the cold side it snowed a little. Make sure you visit Custer state park you will see a lot more wildlife.
Tw riner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #27

Generally, animals are down lower in the Spring time because of snow. Because of that, usually a larger variety of animals are within view. Anytime in the park is beautiful! I live in MT and the forest fires with all of the smoke usually start end of July, so that may not give you the best views of Yellowstone. Fires continue until it snows. It is a bit cooler in the spring time and warmer clothes are needed. Fall is also beautiful after Labor Day. Don't think you can go wrong whenever you go! Enjoy your trip.
Backcountry Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #28

We are currently at the West Yellowstone KOA for 7 days. We have not experienced much traffic IF you are in NLT 9am!! School is fixing to start so many families have left.
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #29

Yellowstone

Ok, so we live about a half hour from the north entrance of the park (Mammoth). If you don't mind dry camping, I would suggest the Mammoth campground. No hookups and it's strictly first-come so plan on arriving early. If you want to see the wildlife, this is where to be! My suggestion would be to try for late September/early October. The weather could be a little unpredictable, but if you're lucky you'll see beautiful colors, lots of critters, and far fewer crowds.
Have fun - and we might even see you there! Now we're off to the San Juan Islands and Vancouver Island for a month 😉
flyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:12 AM   #30
nmdcporter

We have traveled many times to YNP and timing is always dependant on what you want to see. In the fall most of the bears are heading up getting ready for winter. We have been in YNP after Sturgis and the the rangers said it would be rare to see the grizzly that late. But also the park was really quite during that trip and the Elk and Bison are still around. In the spring we have seen a lot of wild life but also had to deal with a lot of snow (8 inches one night). It was also mentioned in a previous post that the RV Fishing Bridge RV Park is closed for 2019 that is true. My understanding they are going to tear out the old sites and make everything a pull through. If that is true they have to be reducing the amount of site by and 1/4 to 1/3, Can't wait for 2020 to check it out. So 2019, I would not expect any full hook ups.
nmdcporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #31

Yellowstone National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I've heard from the rangers that early june is the best time to see grizzlies. Wildflowers are best in July, but the crowds are bad. Sept is my favorite time as the crowds are low, the elk are bugling.
Our BEST visit to YNP was 2-3 week of June. Baby wildlife everywhere! Little traffic, and weather was perfect, and small crowds. If you wait until after, 9AM to get into the park, forget wildlife viewing, and expect traffic. Yellowstone is beautiful any time of year. Just GO! And don't just spend 3 days! Two weeks is not long enough!
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #32

Best Time to visit Yellowstone National Park

We have visited multiple times, before children, with children and after children. All were wonderful visits.

The visit during our college years occurred in early May after a three foot mountain snowfall. Snow limited our access to areas of the park, snow was on the trails at the hot springs with buffalo resting and keeping warm. The camp ground in West Yellowstone cleared snow so we had a spot to pitch our tents (below freezing over night temperatures).

The mid-summer trip to the west included a visit with our children. It is still a trip our children talk about today, 20 plus years later.

Our after Labor Day (September) visits, had cooler weather (again below freezing over night temperatures) and the park was by far less crowded.

During your trip, try to include Jackson Hole, the Grand Tetons, a visit to Cooke City and to drive the Bear Tooth Highway. A drive form Jackson Hole north through Idaho is also worth the time.

One visit to Yellowstone is not enough to experience the diversity of its vast ecosystem. So much to see, enjoy and appreciate.

As a last note, be aware that many camp grounds close or limit amenities for the winter season, starting in late September or early October. Also, if there is early snowfall, roads may be closed over night.

Safe travels.
JSPAETH330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #33

Yellowstone

We just returned from Yellowstone. Being a teacher I can only go in the Summer. There are crowds but it does not seem over crowded to me. I would think Spring would be better because all of the young bison and bears will be out. Wolves are so far you can not see them without a scope and a lot of time and patience. I hear Winter is a completely different park, but I would not recommend driving up there in Winter. Onlyrics Mammoth entrance is open.
Bison dec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #34
JEG

We were there the second week of June back in 2009 when we were on our 10-week cross country trip. We stayed at Fishing Bridge Campground, on the eastern edge of the park. We saw all kinds of wildlife and there was little to no traffic to deal with. That being said, Yellowstone was probably our least favorite place during our trip (Glacier being at the top of the list). We felt that once you've seen and experienced one geyser and one Sulphur pit, they were all basically the same. We opted to spend two of our days there traveling down to the Tetons where we had some great bicycling adventures.
JEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #35
2012 Solera 24S

I see you have a tow vehicle so you will probably be OK.

We were there last September and that seems to be the time the large tour bus groups descend on the park.

We have a small motor home and don't pull a toad so it was difficult to find a parking spot at several of the attractions.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #36

Just came back

We just came back and I thought the crowds were not large at all except when people stop,to view wildlife. I would not advise going when the rut is in as the males are very aggressive and damage could happen to your vehicle. As an ex. We stopped to view the buffalo as we had no choice due traffic stopping. A young calf started to cross the road right in front and the mother made a angry roar and tried to prevent him. This happened right in front of our truck and the young one started again and the mother again made that loud growl and she turned to us and I thought she was going to charge but the young one turned back so what would happen if a bull in rut thought your vehicle was a threat? It was a tense moment and Imhave seen videos of buffalo charging vehicles.
jerodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #37

We went mid August

It was fantastic. I’ve heard it’s always crowded when the weather is nice enough to drive around, and we had no weather issues. The crowds were very tolerable. We saw bison, bears, etc. the swimming hole was the perfect temperature, and the camping was very comfortable. I’ve only been once, and it was mid August, but I recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4413595A-F7A0-4B47-8DC1-1BE94D5B5B10.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	184000   Click image for larger version

Name:	E4627AB3-7069-4DB1-8A7E-536173BA757A.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	184001  
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote