Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Best Time for a Yellowstone Trip

We are planning a trip out to Yellowstone NP next year and want some input as to when would be the best time, late spring or early fall. We definitely do not want to go when school is out due to the crowds.

We are thinking fall is best time to see the wildlife in peak shape since it is the rutting season.

We are retired so time is not a problem. The plan is to also visit our son and his family in Colorado, the Dakotas and maybe Montana. We live in the Florida panhandle so we want to plan a different route out and back.

Your thoughts ...
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

Personally, I'd go after Labor Day. Went two times, in early August and in early September. August was busy with the crowds and it snowed on my birthday. September was much less crowded, but when trying to enter the park on the northeast side by Cody, access was closed due to snow. Got in the next am.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Kind of a tossup really as to spring or fall. But defineatly when school is in session. This should thin the crowds down by at least half or better.
Spring is usually greener with more new animal baby's out. Fall around late September is good as well. Especially when the Elk are in rut.
We were just there a couple weeks ago and the crowds were bad just about everywhere we went.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Site Team

After Labor Day.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
After Labor Day.

X2. My son has worked out there for 2 years now and things calm down after Labor Day. Weather is still nice and you see nice color in trees if you wait till mid September.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
We are planning a trip out to Yellowstone NP next year and want some input as to when would be the best time, late spring or early fall. We definitely do not want to go when school is out due to the crowds.

We are thinking fall is best time to see the wildlife in peak shape since it is the rutting season.

Your thoughts ...
BINGO!

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #7

I like Yellowstone definitely after Labor day but that late in the year is getting very chancy for travelling to Montana or the Dakotas. But, if time isn't an issue you can usually wait out an early snowstorm for a few days.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

I'd try to hit it as close to Labor Day as possible. Much later and the campgrounds tend to close. Some of their campgrounds close as early as 9/16.

Also, Fishing Bridge Campground (the full hookup cg) will be closed next year which is going to put a strain on other camping facilities. Of course, if you are camping outside the park, that won't be a problem.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #9

another Vote for after labor day. You may get cold weather, brings jackets, hats and gloves. We were there over memorial day and left the next week. It got down to 21 the last night we were there.

To tag along with the post above, since fishing Bridge will be closed, any full hookup campsites are filling up VERY quickly. make reservations ASAP
Old 08-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

Have visited YNP many- many times. In my opinion,
Spring or fall you can't go wrong. May, Spring time, we go several days before full park is open and stay a few days till Memorial day weekend. Most places are open or opening, Crowds are manageable .Higher elevations still will be snow cover but roads are either open or being opened. Wildlife has had young, so they are fairly visible and not bothered by people yet. We usually see many bears, both Griz and Black, with cubs. Fall, late August to Mid Sept park is getting ready to or shutting down shortly. Crowds are thinner, but may find in park places to eat or stay limited. Animals are around and are starting to bunch up for winter and some head for winter ranges, and they have been bothered all summer by people. Sometimes this limits viewing opportunities, but the views and foliage are great. ENJOY
ralphieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #11

I went once in January, my god was it breath taking. A lot of places are closed, but the beauty of winter amazing.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #12

We just got back from a trip to Mount Rushmore, Chief Crazy Horse Monument, Yellowstone and Teton. Chief Crazy Horse is absolutely most interesting place for us.
Suggest anytime School is in session. Yellowstone Turn outs are really too small for the amount of traffic that is on the Road. They need to make them larger to accommodate the number of people that want to stop and look at anything.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #13

I recommend first half of September.
dmlranhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #14
Brutus#1

Yellowstone

We visited West Yellowstone on May 20 this year due to some camp sites do not open earlier Road conditions were under repair blocking some areas. Traffic was slow as a result in some sections. Recommend checking with the National Park Service for update on road conditions.
jliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #15

Yellowstone in the Spring

We did Teton and Yellowstone, and others, this past May and it was perfect - green in many places and ice and some snow in the upper reaches. We camped in the park at Yellowstone so were close to everything. No problem at all with crowds except for the traffic jam when 4 or 5 bison with young decided to take a stroll along the road. Only downside was that the gate between Teton and Yellowstone was still closed so had to go west from Jackson Hole into Idaho and then north, through an edge of Montana, to access the West gate - which worked fine since it was closest to our campground.
dav7158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #16

We did Yellowstone in September 3 years ago and loved it. Friends went the next year in early May. They claimed they see a lot more animals especially newborns. Whatever time it will be a great trip. Win or win in my opinion! Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Been 4 times. Best is AFTER labor Day
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #18

Be prepared for wild variations in temperature in both seasons. We went last September right before the big snow event that closed many roads. The crowds are definitely smaller then but there are still huge tour buses stopping at pullouts which is hard when so many people descend on sites at the same time. But they all leave at the same time too so sometimes you can wait it out if you have a relaxed schedule. The earlier in the day that you go the better, like 6- 7 AM. because there are way fewer people. From noon on it's crazy. you will usually see more animals as well but the creatures in Yellowstone are very accustomed to seeing hoards of tourists. Be smart about the animals as well. They are wild and unpredictable no matter how docile they appear and if they have babies even more so. Take your pictures from a safe distance. It is a fabulous park. Enjoy
BUCKY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Mid to late OCTOBER. Elk are moving down out of the mountains and bugling. Leaves are changing and lots of wildlife activity.
Cold nights, pleasant days.

Correction. I had originally put "September" but my wife reminded me that my previous anniversary was October 21, not September 21. And that's when I was there and saw all the elk coming down into Jackson hole refuge, WITH EX-WIFE!

Sorry about the mix-up. Gotta go finish the laundry now and load the dishwasher.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #20

I've heard from the rangers that early june is the best time to see grizzlies. Wildflowers are best in July, but the crowds are bad. Sept is my favorite time as the crowds are low, the elk are bugling.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote