Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Big Summer Road Trip Help

So we are planning a big trip leaving out of Southern California (Orange County) out to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone and back. I've got it mapped to about 2650 miles and 13 nights to make the journey. I'd love some feedback from anyone who has made a trip like this. Where to stay? What is the best places that we simply must see?

I'm locked on my time to make the trip from Aug 7 and home on the Aug 20. I set the path up to get home on time and not have too long in a driving day as my wife will not take the wheel.

We are driving our 40ft 2011 Berkshire 390BH and pulling a 2012 2 DR Jeep Rubicon. It will be me, my wife, Grandma and our 3 girls ages 4, 6 and 8. I've divided the days up to each stop that give us time to take the Jeep into see something. If we need more or less time and should move the time from one spot to another I'd love your thoughts.

Depart Home 7-Aug
Portal RV Resort - Portal RV Resort, Moab Utah 7-Aug to 9-Aug 2 nights (See Arches NP)
Jellystone of Estes - Estes Park, CO Campground & RV Park - Welcome to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park? of Estes 9-Aug to 11-Aug 2 nights (See Rocky Mtn National Park)
Mt. Rushmore - Mount Rushmore KOA | Camping in South Dakota | KOA Campgrounds 11-Aug to 14-Aug 3 Nights (See Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull)
Grizzly RV Resort - Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park and Cabins 14-Aug to 18 Aug 4 nights (See Yellowstone and Tetoin NP
Thousand Lakes RV Park - Thousand Lakes RV Park, Campground and Cabins - Torrey, Utah - Home 18-Aug to 20-Aug 2 Nights (Drive Hwy12. See Bryce and Capital Reef)
Home by Aug 20

Ok.. These are the RV spots I chose just by googling around and the places we picked out. Any of these good, bad, add this... take away this... be sure to go here? Any help would be great.

Thanks a million!!!!
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #2

We were in the Black Hills just a few weeks ago.
We passed on Rushmore, but Crazy Horse had an awesome museum. Do the Needles/Iron Mountain road circle tour, lots to ooh and ahhh at.
Wind Cave is very interesting, and a cool escape on a hot day. Jewel Cave not as good.
Since you have a Jeep, consider some of the back roads that few ever venture out on. Lots of great scenery.
If you have the time on the way to Yellowstone, the Devil's Tower is really impressive, and the hike around the base isn't long but gets you up close and personal with the monolith. The KOA there is pretty good, with great views of the tower.
We didn't stay in Yellowstone, but used Cody as a base. The Buffalo Bill museum there is a must-see, it is huge. They were having a major pow-wow at the museum while we were there, and that was great to see. Rodeo every night as well!
It sounds like you have a great trip planned, too bad you didn't have two months!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote