Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Question Black Hills SD to Yellowstone NP trip

My wife and I will be on trip from the East coast with a stay in SD planned with family. We will be going to Custer State Park in SD on this trip again. We are planning on continuing to Yellowstone for a stay of about 4-6 days while there. Then we will return to SD on our way back to the East coast. I am pulling a 40' 5th wheel. I am looking for advice for routes etc and campgrounds near Yellowstone with full hookups preferred. I know Yellowstone does not allow larger trailers like mine, so I was looking for advice. We will be traveling with others that have large toy hauler 5th wheelers as well. Any advice would be most appreciated.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #2

In Yellowstone they do allow 40ft campers in Fishing Bridge and they have full hookups but all are gone for this year. In West Yellowstone MT there is a great rv park, Grizzly RV park. Close to Custer State Park is a Passport America campground called Heartland RV park at Hermosa, SD. It's a good park and it's half price with a PA membership. It's $44 bucks a year and if you stayed there going and coming it would pay for itself.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #3

Yellowstone Valley Inn campground is west of Cody about 1/2 between Cody & Yellowstone National Park east entrance. Great campground.

Grizzly campground just outside the West Yellowstone great.

Both will handle you unit.

Use Yellowstone Valley Inn to cover the east & North side of the park & Grizly campground to cover the south & west sides.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #4

also in West Yellowstone is a KOA which we had stayed at. was pretty nice and about 10 minutes from the west gate of Yellowstone. from sheridan wy, we went up and around the mountains - i.e. went north up into montana and then west and then south down the gallatine into west yellowstone. it is mostly interstate and was about as same amount of time as going west from Sheridan through the mountains to Cody and then through Yellowstone to get into West Yellowstone, though the mountain way is probably prettier.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #5

We stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone and it was great.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #6

Yellowstone Holiday RV

About 4 years ago on our way to Alaska we stayed at Yellowstone Holiday resort about 10 miles north of West Yellowstone. Very nice, we were there in early May with only four other campers. They had heated floors in the showers. Beautiful view of lake and nice paved sites.

Yellowstone Holiday | Camping Fishing RV Campgrounds

Just found photos, the sites were gravel with concrete patio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska-Aug'130197(2).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	129105  
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

All the above are good, but if you are not happy with long pulls, I would avoid the east, northeast and north entrances. Take I-90 west through Bozeman and south on 191. Easier to get to West Yell.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #8

We stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone for a week last September. We were able to cover all of Yellowstone from there. The only thing we weren't able to do was the Beartooth Pass just north of Yellowstone because of snow. We also went to Custer during the same trip, but we stayed in the state park with water and electric only. Custer is huge and there are several campgrounds in the park. Some may have full hookups but not sure. Beautiful park! Have fun!
Zargonians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #9

I highly recommend that you use the yellowstone gypsy driving guide available from the Google play store to direct you around yellowstone. I love this app. It's like having a private tour guide in your back seat. If you connect your phone to the car audio jack with an audio cord, you can play the Gypsy guide's narrative on your car speakers. If you have Bluetooth, you can do use it to do the same.
gmaslar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #10

Black Hills to Yellowstone

We have made this trip many times. Our favorite route is US 16. It runs from Custer ,SD through Buffalo, Wyoming , then Ten Sleep to Cody, Wyoming. At Cody there is much to do ( night rodeo, Buffalo Bill museum, day trip up Chief Joseph Hwy, are just a few things. At Cody we stay at the Ponderosa Campground. From there it is a short trip to Yellowstone. At Yellowstone we stay at West Yellowstone Grizzly RV park. It is one of the nicest parks I've ever stayed in. Another choice is Rocky Mountain park in Gardner, Mt.
The route from Custer to Yellowstone is mountainous, but the scenery is breathtaking. I am driving a 2500 Silverado diesel, pulling a CC fiver that is 34 feet long. ( 34 SATS). I do not have any trouble on this route.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
also in West Yellowstone is a KOA which we had stayed at. was pretty nice and about 10 minutes from the west gate of Yellowstone. from sheridan wy, we went up and around the mountains - i.e. went north up into montana and then west and then south down the gallatine into west yellowstone. it is mostly interstate and was about as same amount of time as going west from Sheridan through the mountains to Cody and then through Yellowstone to get into West Yellowstone, though the mountain way is probably prettier.
X2....
West Yellowstone KOA is pretty nice and can easily handle your trailer. West Yellowstone (the town) is right at the West Entrance and has restaurants and all services... The campground is excellent and you will have a blast.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwebster View Post
We have made this trip many times. Our favorite route is US 16. It runs from Custer ,SD through Buffalo, Wyoming , then Ten Sleep to Cody, Wyoming. At Cody there is much to do ( night rodeo, Buffalo Bill museum, day trip up Chief Joseph Hwy, are just a few things. At Cody we stay at the Ponderosa Campground. From there it is a short trip to Yellowstone. At Yellowstone we stay at West Yellowstone Grizzly RV park. It is one of the nicest parks I've ever stayed in. Another choice is Rocky Mountain park in Gardner, Mt.
The route from Custer to Yellowstone is mountainous, but the scenery is breathtaking. I am driving a 2500 Silverado diesel, pulling a CC fiver that is 34 feet long. ( 34 SATS). I do not have any trouble on this route.
And for those with dogs; Cody has a great (but hidden) dog park.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #13

I'll second the KOA West recommendation as a base for exploring Yellowstone. If you have the time...I'd recommend heading north for a couple of days and catching Glacier National park and the "Road to the Sun". It is simply a spectacular park and even a day or two exploring there will be memorable.
If you approach from the west and drive east through the park...you can then go home via Great Falls and Route 90 east and you can take in Devils Tower in NE Wyoming. I'll assume since you did Custer that you've done the Custer State Park, Rushmore and Sturgis/Spearfish Falls... if not...90 will put you close at hand to all. It is also worthwhile to do the loop route of the badlands for a couple of hours and the obligatory visit to Wall Drug.
Being of a certain age...the little visited Minuteman ICBM missile Silo on the south side of 90 at exit 116 .... was emotional. Looking down on that missile in its' silo was unbelievable to me.
Further along in Kimball...there's the Corn Palace if you want some schlock!
We got off the interstate for a bit at that point and used secondary roads to dive south towards Sioux City... stopping at the small hamlet of Dimock on a locals recommendation and visiting the dairy for CHEESE!! OMG...it is amazing and you can sample everything freshly made there and priced cheaper than the "fake" stuff. We liked heading south on the county roads since speed limits were high, road was good, little traffic and more interesting than the Interstate. We hopped back on I29 South of Sioux City...making our "southing" to St. Joeseph MO and then getting off again heading east across the state to Hannibal and Huck Finns Cave on the west shore of the Mississippi River which was a nice place to visit for a couple of days from the Mark Twain RV park which is a shuttle stop for all the places around town of interest.
Don't know how far east you need to get or where... but we stayed on I72 to Springfield and the Lincoln Museum (excellent!) and then continued east to Indianapolis...diving south again on 65 to Louisville and then headed east on 64 all the way into Virginia.
This was certainly a lot longer trip home than just picking an east/west interstate and sticking to it...but we enjoyed seeing some new things and new parts of the country along the way.
Hope this is useful to you...enjoy the trip!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #14

This is timely. We are making a trip from NC to Yellowstone in May. I have route going out planned. After leaving Yellowstone we will be staying in Bozeman a couple of days to see family. On our way back we are planning to take I-90 back to visit with family in the Chicago area. We are planning our first stop in the Custer State park area for a day to see what we can. I don't want to drive straight through from there to Illinois and was wondering where a good place to stop about midway might be. For an overnight stay all we really need is electric service and a bathhouse with showers.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #15

Pihl's Park in Faribault Co. Mn....near Albert Lea... is about half way, $20 bucks and has what you need in a nice setting less than a mile off I90 exit 138 south. Scroll down till you see it on the link for info & reservations.
County Parks
Old 02-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #16

For those who have been to Yellowstone, what are the Pet,Dog, requirements. Keeping my dog on leash isn't an issue
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
For those who have been to Yellowstone, what are the Pet,Dog, requirements. Keeping my dog on leash isn't an issue
Here's the page you want:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/pets.htm
Old 02-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelec View Post
About 4 years ago on our way to Alaska we stayed at Yellowstone Holiday resort about 10 miles north of West Yellowstone. Very nice, we were there in early May with only four other campers. They had heated floors in the showers. Beautiful view of lake and nice paved sites.

Yellowstone Holiday | Camping Fishing RV Campgrounds

Just found photos, the sites were gravel with concrete patio.
Is it just me,,, or are some of the patios on the wrong side of the parking spots ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Pihl's Park in Faribault Co. Mn....near Albert Lea... is about half way, $20 bucks and has what you need in a nice setting less than a mile off I90 exit 138 south. Scroll down till you see it on the link for info & reservations.
County Parks
Half way between The black hills & ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #20

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/pets.htm

I guess after reading this link we cant go to Yellowstone. I would be a fun trip i think but we cant go without our dog.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black