Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #41

Wow great pictures I went to school at Utah State University and miss the mountains . Can't wait to haul my camper out there. I miss the wasatch mountains and the wellsvilles up by Logan anyway great pics I have to get back there soon!
DavidandAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #42

Privacy at it's finest......it doesn't get any better than that. Great pictures.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidandAmy View Post
Wow great pictures I went to school at Utah State University and miss the mountains . Can't wait to haul my camper out there. I miss the wasatch mountains and the wellsvilles up by Logan anyway great pics I have to get back there soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Privacy at it's finest......it doesn't get any better than that. Great pictures.
Thank you!

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
That's great! Our Dometic says in the manual gas won't work much over 5500' and we got it to work to about 6200' only.
I had the same problem with my Dometic fridge when staying in Summit County, Colorado. When I contacted Dometic, they said "Something's wrong with the fridge and you need to take it to an RV repair center to figure out what's wrong with it." Unfortunately, the nearest RV service facility was a two hour drive away.

After examining the burner assembly and spending a day thinking about what I saw and comparing it to other propane devices I use at home, I came to the conclusion that whoever designed the burner assembly didn't study physics in high school. The burner assembly on my home propane grill, which burns a lot more propane than the fridge, is almost identical to the fridge burner but has one part that is not present in the fridge version. This "missing" part is the item needed to make the fridge operate on gas at high altitudes. At lower altitudes, this part isn't necessary.

Unfortunately, modifying the burner assembly of the fridge would most likely void its warranty. If you ended up with a fire starting in the fridge burner assembly, I'd expect your insurance adjuster to refuse the loss claim because the burner assembly had been modified from what the manufacturer supplied.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I had the same problem with my Dometic fridge when staying in Summit County, Colorado. When I contacted Dometic, they said "Something's wrong with the fridge and you need to take it to an RV repair center to figure out what's wrong with it." Unfortunately, the nearest RV service facility was a two hour drive away.

After examining the burner assembly and spending a day thinking about what I saw and comparing it to other propane devices I use at home, I came to the conclusion that whoever designed the burner assembly didn't study physics in high school. The burner assembly on my home propane grill, which burns a lot more propane than the fridge, is almost identical to the fridge burner but has one part that is not present in the fridge version. This "missing" part is the item needed to make the fridge operate on gas at high altitudes. At lower altitudes, this part isn't necessary.

Unfortunately, modifying the burner assembly of the fridge would most likely void its warranty. If you ended up with a fire starting in the fridge burner assembly, I'd expect your insurance adjuster to refuse the loss claim because the burner assembly had been modified from what the manufacturer supplied.

Phil
The BBQ burner orifice is nothing like the one in the fridge. The BBQ puts out massive BTUs. The fridge is about the size of a small pilot light.
Handy2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:32 AM   #46

First Tracks- that is exactly why I'm setting up my rig the way I am. To go to those places like you've been going to. I've watched you up in the Uintas, and you guys really know how to camp. I used to live in Utah, and know about many places in the high country where boondocking is the way to go, and no just in the Uintas. Only one thing you didn't mention about being up there- is there any fishing to speak of? Is there maps of roads up in the high country? Can't wait to get back out there. Your pictures are fantastic! Keep up the good work- especially when you go camping.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
As a claims adjuster for 30 years, I can assure you that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
I've watched you up in the Uintas, and you guys really know how to camp.
<blush> Thank you!

Quote:
Only one thing you didn't mention about being up there- is there any fishing to speak of?
Depends on where you go. You're already familiar with the Uintas, and just about any of the countless lakes in the Uintas -- especially in the High Peaks area -- are stocked with trout, mainly cutthroat and brook with a few rainbows for good measure. Prior to graduating to a TT we spent many years backpacking around the Uintas, and there's nothing quite as sweet as the flesh of a cutthroat from the cold water at 10,000 feet+. While we didn't fish at Lyman Lake when we camped there a few weeks ago (on what ironically was Free Fishing Day in Utah), I doubt that lake is any exception to the rule. Where we were this past weekend was pretty devoid of lakes or ponds, although the various forks of the Duchesne River in the area are available for stream fishing.

Quote:
Is there maps of roads up in the high country?
Absolutely. Besides the usual topos, etc., for NFS land each forest ranger district publishes Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs). While they're rather crude in that they're devoid of any land features, the indication of a road's legal use designation (i.e., "highway legal vehicles," "all vehicles", "vehicles 50 inches of width or less," etc.) gives you an idea of its quality, and also shows you where dispersed camping is allowed and where it's prohibited. For Uinta-Wasatch-Cache, like most National Forests they're available online as a PDF, or you could pick them up from a ranger station or the Forest Supervisor's office, which in this case is in South Jordan, UT. They're free. I keep about a dozen from different ranger districts in my truck at all times. For example, here's the MVUM for where we were this past weekend:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5414245.pdf Little dots along the road indicate that you're allowed to camp on that side of the road, within 150 feet of the center of the road.

Because those maps show just the roads and almost nothing but the roads, when scouting from home for a weekend campsite I follow along with a topographic map like "Terrain" view on Google Maps, toggling back and forth to satellite view to take a good look at the both the road and the area to settle on a final destination for our trip.

Finally, once I've got a destination selected, before I hit the road I download the applicable topographic maps and satellite view onto my Android device using "Backcountry Navigator," an excellent Android-only recreational mapping product. Although I have no relationship with the app producer, I'm going to give it a huge plug here. I put the maps on both my phone and my tablet, for a "bigger picture" view when I need it. That way if someone's already in my chosen spot, or uncomfortably near it, I can do recon to find an alternative spot right from the driver's seat, even without cell service. Included with the app is a subscription to the CalTopo 24k shaded topo maps, which are exceptional image maps much like the paper USGS topos, as well as the US Topo satellite image database. Those are the two map sources I primarily use, but you can download any of the many map sources available in the app for offline use. Backcountry Navigator is well worth the expensive $9.99 app price (it's expensive because they have to pay a licensing fee to the map data producers), as is their premium land use boundary add-on that's offered on a state-by-state basis for an additional one-time fee. That add-on is invaluable to make sure that yes, you are indeed on BLM land, for example, and not on some rancher's pasture. It's good to not have a shotgun pointed at you at 2 a.m.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking