Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

bryce to zion or zion to bryce?

Heading out west will be coming down I-15 from West Yellowstone heading to Bryce and Zion wondering which is the easiest route going to Bryce first and then Zion or vice versa?? Departing that area and heading southeast towards San Antonio. What is the best route?? I see there are some low tunnels along the way, We are in a 36' Motorhome towing.

Thanks
R & S
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

We just look into this and there is a height restriction also on those tunnels you mention you might want to look that up. I believe the height is 13 ft.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoro View Post
Heading out west will be coming down I-15 from West Yellowstone heading to Bryce and Zion wondering which is the easiest route going to Bryce first and then Zion or vice versa?? Departing that area and heading southeast towards San Antonio. What is the best route?? I see there are some low tunnels along the way, We are in a 36' Motorhome towing.

Thanks
R & S
Just a suggestion. You may want to visit Zion first and then Bryce. We did Bryce first and which caused us to find Zion just not as nice and picturesque.
rfaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

Go Zion first and then Bryce.
rfaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

If you are towing a toad, it would be easiest to stay near Zion and go to Bryce as a day-trip. St George is the nearest large town near Zion. Cedar City is a little north of Zion. Both are along I-15. I am presently in Cedar City to visit these parks when they are not crowded.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

you're coming south on I-15. i'd go to Bryce first then zion. there are a couple of small tunnels in red rock canyon on the way into Bryce. they are 13'6" and all kinds of large motorhomes and semis make it through them. go slow down the middle of the tunnel.

you will not be able to get a motorhome through the zion carmel tunnel (east entrance to zion). you will have to retrace from Bryce back to I-15 and then south again to zion.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

I'd stay at one of the commercial CGs on 89 around Glendale and Orderville. Then use the toad for day trips to visit Bryce, Zion, Cedar Breaks and Brian Head. You pick the order for the trips. From I 15, take 50 and I 70 to reach 89.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
1+ Yrs of Trailering :0)

Two years ago, we did a seven NP (Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings, and Grand Canyon) trip from California, so we were going in a different direction. Bryce is spectacular to look at and an amazing photo op, but Zion has much better and rewarding hiking. There is one campground in Zion that has power at the site, but you still have to load your water and use the dump station, which were both close to our site.

As stated by others, make sure you know the highest point on your trailer because they won't let you go through the tunnel if they think you are too tall, plus it won't be easy to turn around if they stop you. It also cost a fee to go through the Zion tunnel. They go one direction at a time, which means you get to go down the middle of the road. It can get really crowded at both parks, so make sure you have advanced reservations. I tried to get reservations at Bryce about 4 months in advance of our trip and couldn't get a site, but we were able to get a beautiful cabin pretty close to the rim of the canyon. Our opinion...both parks are spectacular.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #9

Don't know what your time frame is but again, if you can stay IN the parks and spend a few days or more in each, you won't be rushed and will feel like you really have seen each one. They are so different from each other and each has its own beauty. Both have wonderful bike paths. Our routine for every NP we have visited is Visitors Center to view movies, get schedule of all activities including talks, hikes, presentations and ranger programs and make reservations on those things that need signing up for. After that we choose areas we want to see more in depth. The longer you stay, the less rushed you will be and if you stay in the park you learn how to avoid the lines and wait time. Loved both of these parks.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #10

Since you are coming down 15 ...thought I'd mention that ZION is actually 2 parks...one is called Kolub Canyon and is directly accessible by exit 40 on Rt.15... you can drive through the canyons in a couple of hours and it is quite beautiful on it's own before you go to Zion proper.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #11
Dahagen

Do Zion first, then (buy your tunnel ticket when you enter Zion) and then exit the East tunnel and stay in Red Rocks Forest Service campground. Visit Bryce from there. It is much nicer than the Bryce camping spots. Unless you like the high priced commercial campgrounds at the entrance to Bryce.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoro View Post

Thanks
R & S
We went to Bryce first. Then Zion. Knowing what I know now I would have went to Zion 1st. Because Bryce is absolutely fantastic. It made Zion something not nearly as good.
jovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:21 AM   #13

We have visited both parks numerous times. We always stay at Zion River RV Park just outside the entrance to Zion NP. Bryce Canyon NP is an easy day's trip north on SR 89. You can also easily make a day trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from Zion. Plan to spend at least a few days at Zion and enjoy the free shuttle transport in the canyon. Plan to have lunch at the Zion Lodge. I recommend the smoked trout entrée.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I have been into both parks several times. Both are fantastic, and have some great hiking opportunities. In Zion, the view from Angels Landing is one of the best! (Great place to overcome your fear of heights....lol) You have to be in decent shape to make the hike. Look up or google Walter's Wiggles.....part of the trail up there. Then there is the hike up into the Narrows. Since you are hiking in the river a bit to get all the way in, be cautious and take the advice of the Rangers, as the water can be frigid, and water levels can rise with even distant rains.

With Zion, you are in the canyon looking up. In Bryce, you are on the rim looking down in. Both are great places, just different!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #15

Since you are in a MH and towing, may I suggest what we did last year. We stayed for 5 days at a RV park in Ceder City and then drove to each park in our car to see the sites. Everyone has their own opinion, but we enjoyed Bryce more than Zion, but both are very beautiful.
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #16
Herschel

bryce to zion or sion to bryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
I'd stay at one of the commercial CGs on 89 around Glendale and Orderville. Then use the toad for day trips to visit Bryce, Zion, Cedar Breaks and Brian Head. You pick the order for the trips. From I 15, take 50 and I 70 to reach 89.
That is what we did. Stayed at nice campground in between and made day trips into each. Worked out well. OBTW, if while there your wife loses her diamond engagement ring in the grass during set up, wait until dark and use the flash light beams to catch the reflection of the diamond.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 AM   #17

Good advice, all. We drive up from Southern California and stay in Las Vegas the first night, usually at Sam's Town. Visit Red Rock Canyon for a real life lesson in Geology that you can see with your own eyes.

Then we move on to Zion River RV Resort as our home base for visiting Zion NP, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Capitol Reef, and Grand Canyon North Rim on day trips. Late September/early October holds the promise of spectacular fall colors, especially in the higher elevations.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote