Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

California Hwy 101 with a trailer

Has anyone gone down the Coast with a trailer? We have a 26' 5th wheel and are wondering where we'll spend the nights. Can't find info on camping. Doesn't seem to be any Walmarts or truck stops or parks. How about motels with parking for trailers? Also, what were your favorite sights?
goneroading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Team

I think you may be confusing Hwy 101 with Highway 1.

101 is a great highway that is easily traveled. There are many places we to camp along 101.
But you can't overnight at any of the Walmarts and the 101 goes inland most of the way, not the coast.

It's Highway 1 that has issues.
In fact, I think it's still closed South of Big Sur.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

RV Parky is a good app that will give you a lot of info on campsites.
2018 GMC 2500 Denali

Nights camped 2018=60
Azdigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

CA Hwy 1 and 101

Thank you all for your responses!!! Very helpful.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneroading View Post
Thank you all for your responses!!! Very helpful.
So, were you talking about the 101 or Highway 1?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #6

CA Hwy 1 and 101

It has been a long time since I drove the Coast. As I recall, sometimes you were on 1 and sometimes 101. So, to answer your query, I was talking about both. Want to see the ocean as much as possible. I recall some large parking lots for beach goers. But it has been probably 35 years. Argh!

I grew up in LA and my husband grew up in Fresno. He wants to do the aquarium and I'd like to see Hearst Castle again. But mainly I need a beach fix. Smell the salt air. Fish from a pier.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneroading View Post
It has been a long time since I drove the Coast. As I recall, sometimes you were on 1 and sometimes 101. So, to answer your query, I was talking about both. Want to see the ocean as much as possible. I recall some large parking lots for beach goers. But it has been probably 35 years. Argh!

I grew up in LA and my husband grew up in Fresno. He wants to do the aquarium and I'd like to see Hearst Castle again. But mainly I need a beach fix. Smell the salt air. Fish from a pier.
101 goes along the coast part of the time but most of there time it's inland.
Highway 1 splits off and comes back again, to 101 from LA to Leggett.

Currently, a middle section of Highway 1, in Big Sur, is closed till 9/30/18. So you can't drive through, from Monterey to San Simeon. You could only drive about halfway and have to turn back around and drive back to Monterey and 101.
Based on that, is stay on 101 and enjoy the beach in Pismo, Morro Bay and Monterey, if you decide to go to Hearst.
Going to Hearst Castle would require turning onto Highway 1 at San Luis Obispo to Hearst and then backtracking to San Luis Obispo.
There is a short cut, from 1 to 101, on 41. I wouldn't take 46 as it is really windy and slow.

Beach parking lots are not free and fill up early, during the summer.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
Empty Nesters

I've driven the 101 from the Oregon border all the way down to LA. All parts of it are fine for towing. In Northern California above Santa Rosa you can't throw a stick without hitting an RV park it seems. The 101 pretty much follows the beach from the Oregon border to about Eureka. Lots to see in the redwoods and the Ancient Redwoods RV Park in Redway on the Avenue of the Giants is great.

Once you get south of Eureka you won't see the beach except for across the Golden Gate Bridge until Pismo Beach on the Central Coast (my area). Hearst Castle is on highway one but that highway is closed in Big Sur due to a mud slide 1 1/2 years ago, it should open later this summer.

Hwy 1 looks tempting but from Monterey to Cambria it would be difficult in a trailer even if it wasn't closed off at Big Sur.

RV Parky is a good resource for parks and let me know and I can share any that I have stayed at.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

CA Hwy 1 and 101

Thanks for the specific info. We'd like to go at the end of the summer; so, I may contact you then for specific places you have stayed.

Thank you so much for you help!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think you may be confusing Hwy 101 with Highway 1.

101 is a great highway that is easily traveled. There are many places we to camp along 101.
But you can't overnight at any of the Walmarts and the 101 goes inland most of the way, not the coast.

It's Highway 1 that has issues.
In fact, I think it's still closed South of Big Sur.
If you are familiar with 101, I would appreciate your advice. I am a Floridian interested in avoiding mountain Interstates like the Interstate 5 "grapevine" north of LA basin. Is the 101 a good way to get from Simi Valley to Paso Robles area without hairy mountain grades/curves? Don't mind heavy traffic as much as mountain grades. Towing 26-ft trailer with Dodge Ram 1500.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #11
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
If you are familiar with 101, I would appreciate your advice. I am a Floridian interested in avoiding mountain Interstates like the Interstate 5 "grapevine" north of LA basin. Is the 101 a good way to get from Simi Valley to Paso Robles area without hairy mountain grades/curves? Don't mind heavy traffic as much as mountain grades. Towing 26-ft trailer with Dodge Ram 1500.
I think that hwy 101 will be perfect for you. A minimum of 2 lanes each direction and no severe hills or curves.

Be aware that just past Thousand Oaks and before Camarillo there is about a 2 mile steep downgrade but they add a third lane for slow traffic and just take it easy, no tight curves. When you get to Santa Barbara do not take Hwy 154 like the GPS will tell you to, but stay on 101 along the coast. Hwy 154 is shorter but is a 2 lane, windy, hilly road like you are trying to avoid.

Just past San Luis Obispo is the "Cuesta Grade" but it is nothing to worry about. A couple of miles of a climb but there is a third land for slower traffic. The pass is at a whopping 1522 ft elevation.

It should be a good drive along a lot of ocean. Trafic your way should not be a problem unless you do the Ventura to Santa Barbara at 5-7 AM or Santa Maria to San Luis Obispo at 4-6 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
Herschel

Perfect. Thanks for detailed info. Exactly what I needed and was looking for. Much appreciated.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Yep, as KenandCarol stated, those are really the only concerns.
Cuesta is steep but short.

101 does climb some from Gaviota to Solvang. But it isn't that steep, just steady.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #14

Refugio State Park. Right off the 101 north of Santa Barbara. I hear it is busy so you will have to reserve a spot well in advance. Park is on both sides of interstate and has beach access.
zoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesdad View Post
Refugio State Park. Right off the 101 north of Santa Barbara. I hear it is busy so you will have to reserve a spot well in advance. Park is on both sides of interstate and has beach access.
El Capitan State Beach is just south but has way more campsites.
Refugio is water level while El Cap is high bluff.

But both are sold out for summer sites, at least 6 months in advance.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #16

It was two different parks. About 15 years since I’ve driven through there but I remembered the camp on the bluff on the east side of the 101 and a camp along the coast too.
zoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesdad View Post
It was two different parks. About 15 years since I’ve driven through there but I remembered the camp on the bluff on the east side of the 101 and a camp along the coast too.
There's a private campground on the other side of the 101, called Ocean Mesa. It's not part of El Capitan State Beach.

Not sure what campground you're referring to.

I lived and camped in the area for 15 years.
Recommend you check out campsitephotos.com for looking at sites at both Refugio and El Cap.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
None of those roads you're talking about are hairy or too curvy for you. I5 over Gorman and the Grapevine are nothing. Long, straight gradual climb then a long, straight gradual descent into the wonderful Central Valley. Being from Florida, you'll just love the humidity. I've been to both- the Central Valley was by far the worst. From Simi valley to the 101 it's a two lane highway, the 118, busy but nothing curvy or hard about it. And, KenandCarol- it comes out below the Conejo grade.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer