Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 05:13 AM   #1

California Dreaming

Good morning all you west coasters. We are wanting to camp along the PCH this coming Feb./March. I’ve ridden most of it on the motorcycle over the years but never in the RV. The area I’m interested in is between Monterey and San Simeon. We prefer National and State parks but will take any advise you have. Also what’s the weather like that time of year. I’ve always been there in the summer and it was pleasant then. Wondering how cold it’s likely to be in the winter. Thanks.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Good morning all you west coasters. We are wanting to camp along the PCH this coming Feb./March. I’ve ridden most of it on the motorcycle over the years but never in the RV. The area I’m interested in is between Monterey and San Simeon. We prefer National and State parks but will take any advise you have. Also what’s the weather like that time of year. I’ve always been there in the summer and it was pleasant then. Wondering how cold it’s likely to be in the winter. Thanks.
Why does my thread say moved at the beginning?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
Site Team

the only state park that has big enough sites for your rig, after San Simeon, is Pfeiffer Big Sur.
as far as i know, there are no national park camprounds between San Simeon and Monterey. in fact, there are no national parks, on PCH, between L.A. and San Francisco.
February and March are probably the wettest and coldest months on the Central Coast.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Why does my thread say moved at the beginning?
it was moved to the Western U.S. sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #5

There are a few private parks south of Big Sur. I don't think there is anything north of there. Im Monterrey there are choices, most are outside of town by a bit. At San Simeon there are State Parks/campgrounds and they're all dry camping. Check out https://www.parks.ca.gov/

Reservations are a PITA using Reserve America but that time of year there should be no problem, aside from Julia Pfeiffer, that's always popular and there are not too many large sites. It is a GORGEOUS area and campground though, we spent our honeymoon there 39 years ago.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #6

There is one privately owned RV park just north of Malibu that we had reservations for earlier this year. They claimed it was a pull through site. My tow vehicle wouldn't even fit in it and they didn't refund the money. As we were leaving, another rig with a travel trailer was entering. It was too late to warn him.

RV campgrounds on the west coast require a lot of pre planning.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #7

You are fairly limited, like some other posters mentioned. Big sur is a great choice. There is also a campground on the coast near Hearst castle, but I never stayed there. However, if you get as far south as Moro bay and San Luis Obispo county, a wonderful world of coastal camping opens up.

You already know from your experience, the California coast is an inspiring experience.
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:44 AM   #8

Most of the camp grounds from Morro Bay south are booked almost a year ahead now hard to get them. That is why I have a week coming up in fort bragg it was the only place I could find with such a short notice. booked about three months ahead.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

Plaskett Creek is nice. If you dive, you can go across the Hiway and dive Emerald Cove for emeralds-- or walk the beach to find a few at low tide.
This is dry camping only- no hookups.
KJ6VVB
yupurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupurs View Post
Plaskett Creek is nice. If you dive, you can go across the Hiway and dive Emerald Cove for emeralds-- or walk the beach to find a few at low tide.
This is dry camping only- no hookups.

Great campground, we have stayed many times. More towards April would be better weather. Feb and March could be pretty wet along there.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #11

Here are our recommendations

First tray the State parks of CA, they are nicely kept most don’t have hook-ups but have dump stations and water

California State Parks are very nice
https://www.reservecalifornia.com/CaliforniaWebHome/

North To South

Santa Cruz Santa Cruz KOA, State Parks or Beaches, Marina Dunes

Big Sur (A MUST)
Kirk Creek
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233116

San Simon (Hearst Castle) SP HWY 1
Morro Strand State Beach
Morro Bay State Park

Jalama Beach County Park (Santa Barbara County)
https://www.countyofsb.org/parks/jalamacamping.sbc

Rincon Highway (Ventura CA) 100% a must
County of Ventura Parks Department

LA
https://koa.com/campgrounds/los-angeles/
Park and Resort Map - East Shore Rv Park

If you are Military or Veteran
https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/c...-at-seal-beach

San Diego has quite a few nice places at Mission Bay & the State Parks/Beaches

Enjoy!
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
code.org

Neither of these parks are between San Simeon and Monterey, but they are close and we recently stayed at them both.

Santa Cruz Redwoods RV park is a beautiful little park set among huge Redwood trees. It is about 40 minutes north of Monterey.

Pismo Coast Village is about 40 minutes south of San Simeon. It is a very nice park on the beach and walking distance to Pismo Beach which has many good places to eat. If you do stop in Pismo, check out Splash Cafe. People line up to get some of their clam chowder.

For the little amount of rain we get, only about 16" per year, February and March are the wettest.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california