Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

California/Oregon Coast Trip

Hey Folks! Looking for advice/suggestions for above mentioned trip. Would be leaving the Fresno/Clovis area driving over to the coast and up to Oregon possibly creeping into Washington. Any help on amazing spots would be great!
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Anacortesians

The only problems you'll have are 1) deciding what to miss and 2) having to turn across the oncoming southbound traffic to get to the things you really don't want to miss!

We've done the Oregon coast in full twice. The last time we went southwards and did the full length from Astoria to Brookings, then to Crescent City CA to get back across to I-5.

Everything is awesome. If you're an airplane buff, a detour to McMinnville to see the Evergreen Air Museum is a must. On our last trip there was also an air museum at Tillamook, but I heard it had closed.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

We drove from Crescent City along the coast then over to Portland and Pendleton. I thought the whole ride was amazing, but then again we are from the flat land of Florida. Stayed at Beverly Beach SP one night,was ok, large park.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

Good info for sure. I'm so conflicted as to where we should make our final destination...aarrrgghhh!!
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #5

Spent a few days in Astoria in June this year, tons of things to see and do.

Also agree with the side trip to McMinnville, Newport is great with some camp grounds only a few yards off the beach and then there are all the lighthouses along 101 Yaquina Head was great.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #6

We just got back from the Oregon coast a few days ago. What a wonderful place it was. What sort of campsites do you prefer? SP or private? We stayed at the Premier Resorts Lincoln City. The sites can be a little snug for big RV's but we squeezed a 41' 5er in. They have FHU, level pads and very good amenities including a massive hot tub indoors. The staff are very friendly and the whole place is very well taken care of. Not far from Depoe Bay for the whale watching and only about an hours drive from the aircraft museum at McMinnville. Traffic should be calming down on the 101 now so it should be very pleasant driving. Loads of great beaches - too many to list.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

We loved the dunes just south of Florence on South Jetty. There is a nice Thousand Trails there as well.
Pilgrim49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #8

We did two weeks at South Beach State Park in Newport this past august. In fact we've either ridden or driven/camped down the Oregon coast 7 times in the past 12 years. I live in BC, and love my Province, but I really love spending time on the Oregon coast. It's a very, very relaxing place to hang out. A real c'et l'avie type vibe seems to surround the whole coastal area. So much to do and see it's hard to pick a few even.
Personally, I travel to eat, and eat to travel...so I really enjoy looking for great places to chow down, and their are dozens upon dozens on the Oregon coast. If you are looking for fun times, try taking a sand rail tour in Florence, it is a blast. Make sure to take the time to beachcomb and just wander along any given beach. We found that we would wander for hours, and not even realize how far we'd walked from our parking spot or campsite.
Have fun.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

We just returned from a four week trip from San Diego to Oregon, around the Olympic Peninsula, to GIG Harbor and back. The Oregon coast is outstanding, and the one standout place is we stayed is Oceanside RV Resort outside Coos Bay. Protected from the wind yet right on the beach.
As others have said, the biggest problem is what you'll have to miss. Also when we do this trip again, and we will, I will go north to south. We missed too many viewpoints and sites becauase we couldn't cross to park.
gbpenn is offline   Reply With Quote