Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Camping in/near San Diego

The wife and I are planning on heading to San Diego for Labor Day weekend. Any of you all have a suggestion for a full hookup site for a 37' fifth wheel? We would prefer it to be a more quiet location and not packed in and also we would like it to be somewhere that doesn't have a bunch of partying at all hours of the night. Granted I know such a place probably doesn't exist outside of b.f.e(lol) camping(boondocking) but I thought I would ask anyway. And yes I did a search of San Diego camping and saw all kinds of responses but nothing specific as far as a review type of answer. Thanks!

2012 Colorado 4x4 5.3v8 CCSB
2005 Sierra F37SP...soon to be gone
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa....wish someone would buy me...
1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
I like to use RV Park Reviews. Nice site w/ lots of reviews, great satellite mapping and links to the park websites. You can do a campground search and see on the map function facilities that are near the area you would like to stay.

RV Park Reviews :: Home

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
San Diego is unique in that it offers desert, beach, lake or mountain it all depends on your interest. In our much younger days, we started off tent camping and eventually moved up to a 34' motorhome.

For me, as a native San Diegan, I liked to leave the beachy areas and go fishing or hike in the mountains. So we preferred the quiet atmosphere of Cuyamaca state park (Paso picacho) - they do offer full hook up and showers as well. Its a beautiful drive in the surrounding area and the little towns such as San Ysabel (famous stop off is Dudleys bakery - you must go in dont just pass this little bakery, you cant.miss the pack parking.lot in the middle of nowhere) Julian (quaint mointain town known for their apple pie)

Others spots in the Cuyamaca area are Lake Henshaw Resort RV (near San Usabel) and William Heise County Park (near Julian) or check out Burnt Rancheria, which is also in the area - spots are large and roomy.

A favorite fishing lake campground was Lake Jennings...a tighter feel and hotter because there is lomited tree cover and dry...but great fishing and activities.

We also enjoyed camping high desert in and around Anza Borrego Desert State park (offers many many great places that are RV friendly) but this kind of campimg is atypical of non residents who think of San Diego's beaches and such.

Every year my kid sister returns to the west coast with her family to camp up north, on the beach at the San Onofre state beach...but it may be too late in the season to snag reservations...

We moved to WA state years ago (not surpisingly enough, to an area that reminded me of the Jilian/Cuyamaca/Cleveland Natl Forest area) its therefore, been many years since I camped in San Diego, however, our son goes to college in San Diego & remains true to tent camping in the Cuyamaca area for his getaways truly is a generational recreation!

I hope this helps you and not further confuse you...camping directly in San Diego will get you crowded spots on asphalt (such as the coronado strand) or Mission bay park (crowded, loud, too close) we tended to stay away from the younger music playing drinking crowd onlieu of a quiet spot to share with the sounds of nature

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Well that helps a bunch. The wifey wants beach but I don't think we will be able to get a decent spot this late. I don't really feel like dragging the trailer there I bought the trailer to go hunting and camping away from other people. I would be disappointed if we ended up in a loud obnoxious place. Oh well....we will figure something out. I told her we could just go hunting up north here in Az but she wants beach. We haven't been over to SD in quite a while.
2012 Colorado 4x4 5.3v8 CCSB
2005 Sierra F37SP...soon to be gone
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa....wish someone would buy me...
1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
There is a KOA in Chula Vista that is nice and clean and only minutes from beach areas. Also there is Santee Lakes in Santee that is about 30 minuets east of San Diego. You can get a spot on one of there man made lakes and is very tranquil And relaxing. You can also get passes to fish from your camping spot.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote