Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Camping in San Diego, CA?

Looking for a area to camp at near the San Diego Naval Base? Going to be stationed there for two years starting in April. Appreciate any advice or where to go. Looking at either Circle RV Resort or San Diego RV Resort. Both are roughly 20mins from the base and close to the interstate. Never been to the west coast.

thanks
Bryan
*Shopping for Camper*
Navy CWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #2

What kind of camping are you interested in? San Diego is my hometown - we did alot of fishing, so our camp trips were always centered around the lakes....the county has many lakes with campgrounds that accommodate every type of camper - tent to trailer to motorhome...primitive to full hook ups. My favorite camp ground is the in the Anza Borrego desert in the sprong. Nothing more amazing than witnessing the fantastic desert bloom...the trails are great and the hot sprongs, wonderful!
Mountain camping nearby in Cuyamaca (state park). If you want to camp at the beach, there is the Silver Strand in Coronado, very close to the base...or further up the road at Camp Pendleton, there is a great beach campground at San Onofre (on base) where you can also rent a trailer or bring your own....
Get the campbook at the base exchange - it lists all military campgroumds available to you - they are great get aways! My spouse & I are both retired USN and livr in WA state...love to camp at the lake campground run by special services at the local airforcr base hetr.
There are also many regional books that list the local campgriunds run by the state, count and forest service...I sure miss camping in San Diego - the only prob you will have is choosing where to begin!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #3

basically this will be my temporary home for 2 years and looking to stay close to the base, not in the mood to move every month (base=max stay is 1month).
*Shopping for Camper*
Navy CWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

Bryan, in preparation for his last duty station (in WA) my husband lived in our motorhome for well over a year, using Admiral Baker campground (base services) and stayed for the max time, rolling out for a day or two to another campground.He was in the sub community & the motorhome was his getaway til his transfer...I'd say we definitely got our use out of that RV!
what kind of camper are you looking for?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote