Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Chaco Canyon - end of April

We are looking to travel to Chaco at the end of April -- Any tips or suggestions for things to do or places to stay. The road to Chaco sounds a bit rough for a TT, but I'm looking for actual experiences.

Thanks for your feedback!

Darren
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

I think there are more than one "Chaco Canyon". Where a bouts is your destination? I wouldn't mind knowing more about it myself.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #3

New Mexico. land of the BIG SKy and Open spaces.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
Albuquerque, NM

Chaco Canyon is a unique and wonderful place to visit - amazing archeology and celestially-aligned features, petroglyphs, cliff dwellings, inscriptions and high-desert landscape. If you like the night sky, you will find it amazing there! You can take a TT there, but can not camp with a unit over 35 feet. There are no hook-ups at all; no gas, no food, no ice; and you basically won't find any shade! The last time we were there was about 10 years ago; the road was very rough and I'd assume it's only gotten worse! There isn't much close to Chaco Canyon; I'm sure you can tell that from a basic search. Its isolated location makes it attractive & very much 'off the beaten path' & not a location with an over-abundance of visitors. As we live in Albuquerque, it's a day trip for us.

If you are interested in the archeological/historic aspect, you will find several other sites in the northwest New Mexico/southwestern Colorado area. There are also a number of national parks & forests that provide wonderful camping opportunities. If you are planning an April trip, I'd suggest visiting Chaco Canyon later in the month - it can still snow in the area in April & the dirt road to Chaco could be more than you might want to tackle in such conditions!
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

Hay Charlie and Kathi

Thanks for your note. We plan on traveling to Chaco in late April - if conditions seem amenable. We'll plan a loop back to Moab, UT to meet up with family and some JEEPIN' with family and friends.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #6

If you find yourself in Moab, don't miss the stretch of scenic road (128) along the Colorado River...lots of campsites right on the river! And the John Wesley Powell museum in Green River is worth a visit, too.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote