Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Cheyenne WY to Ronan MT

We are working on the summer trip and one option is to go to Ronan Montana it’s a big trip from Fort Worth so we haven’t decided yet.

Never towed north of Cheyenne and I'm a little cautious.

One thing I’d like to do is go by the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody and another is Yellowstone but it looks like I’d have to do one on the way up and one on the way back.

What’s the best way to get to Cody from Cheyenne? Looks like 26 out of Casper then north.

Then from Ronan to Cheyenne by way of Yellowstone? Not sure of this.

Towing a 15000lb Cedar Creek 5th wheel with a F350 SRW.

Thanks
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Could do I25 out of Cheyenne to I90 and on to Ronan. Do Yellowstone (YNP) and Cody on the way back via US287 cutoff from I90 to West YNP. Out of YNP to Cody for the trip home.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

We ventured thru Cody and on to Yellowstone NP this summer, although we were coming from Cincinnati so our routing was a little different. We came into Cody from the East and then into Yellowstone. The Cody museum is outstanding. We spent two full days there and it was a great experience. Take your time in it as there is much to see. Plus, Cody itself was a great stop.

As four your routing, I presume you are coming up from Haslet thru Cheyenne on I-25 and North from there. I just threw your destinations that you mentioned into MS S&T and the optimized routing it recommended was to do Ronan 1st, and then make your way South to Yellowstone and then Cody, and then make your way back via WY-120 to Thermopolis, and then catching US-20 to Casper and I-25S. Going this way, I know you will hit Sylvan Pass in East Yellowstone (7700' with 5-6% grades, but good road and no real issue), heading to Cody, but that's about it. Looking at my Mountain West Directory, I don't see any callouts for high/steep climbs or descents anywhere else. The only caveat to that is it doesn't address anything on WY-120. But looking at terrain maps of the area, I don't see anything to be concerned about. Hope this helps.
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #4

Last time I was on Hwy 26 there was a lot of heavy truck traffic but that was five years ago. That is about the best way to go to Cody. Then in to YNP and make the loop down to Old Faithful and maybe back out the north entrance and then on up to Ronan.
I have camped in Grant Village (no hookups but there is a dump station).
Return on I-94 to I-90 with a stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield and I have to put in a plug for the Big Horn County museum in Hardin Mt.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
TARVIDSON

Yellowstone traffic in the summer is really stop and go with everybody staring at animals etc. Other than that the roads are just fine for towing from there to Ronan, all of the roads out of Yellowstone going North are decent two lanes, I 90 and US 93 through Missoula are major thoroughfares. If you want some 99 cent propane, Bretz RV at exit 101 on I90 in Missoula will take care of you as long as you are there between 8 and 5.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #6

We love the route from Buffalo,Wy along US-16 through Cody to Yellowstone. We stayed at Ponderosa campground. It is only few blocks from the museum. There are a lot of things to do at Cody. Also along US-16 when you go through Tensleep Dirty Sally's is a great place to stop for ice cream. The scenery is outstanding along this route and traffic is nill.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
CDR USN Ret

If you have the time, I'd propose:
From Cheyenne WY to
Buffalo WY (stop 2 nights, take day trip to Fetterman Site and Little Big Horn)
then over Bighorns to
Cody (stay long enough to take a day trip or two into Yellowstone and one day to drive the Beartooth Highway, another day for the Buffalo Bill Museum, check out Irma Hotel, Cassies restaurant, Cody Rodeo) then to
Ronan Mt.
Return via Driggs ID (stop 2 nights, take day trip to see Tetons and check out Jackson) then
Back to Cheyenne.

I've done it all pulling my XLR with my 2500HD. Absolutely no road issues.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
CDR USN Ret

I should also mentioned that I've pulled a 5er through Yellowstone during the summer tourist season. Never again.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Drive a little more

I live an hour or so South of Ronan and drive/camp in the area frequently. Unless you are visiting friends/family in Ronan- drive another 14 miles to Polson to stay. Lots more to do, plus you are on Flathead Lake which has multiple spots to camp - the KOA is nice off hwy 93 or if you travel up the east side there is Yellow Bay State campground or Blue Bay (a fave!) a tribe maintained camp with dock/ swimming area, some spots have electric. If you stay on hwy 35 you can visit Big Fork - summer tourist Mecca - and as you head back toward Yellowstone take hwy 209 down the Swan Valley - lots of places to camp, beautiful scenery and you can link up with interstate 90 to get back to Yellowstone. You do have a tough choice as you head back - do you get into Yellowstone through West Yellowstone or turn off at Livingston and go up Paradise Valley?
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
TARVIDSON

x2 on LairdT. I live in Missoula, probably so does he, and totally agree with his comments. Ronan is only about 100 miles from Glacier National Park also.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote