Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Site Team

Chula Vista RV resort San Diego??

Looking to spend about 5 days here.
I know it's pricey but other than that- anyone
been there? Thoughts?
We like the fact they are right on the bay.
We've never been there and probably never go back.
We have bikes and hope to be able to ride them to some of
the attractions in the area. Can that be done?

Thanks for any info you can share!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

I have used Chula Vista a few times and it is a nice quiet RV Resort.
Kind of a gated community with most spaces tight if you have slides on both sides.
Great access to the beach walk if you like walking the dog or biking.
Weather can not be beat. The marina restaurant has fairly reasonably priced meals.
You can go down to Tijuana Mexico easily.
For you stay of 5 days I think you will like it.

If you need other suggestions after Chula Vista let me know what direction you plan to go.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

Chula Vista RV resort San Diego??

Ironically we are planning a stay here too. My concern is the public transportation to sea world and the zoo. We are brand new to having a MH and are worried about driving it in San Diego to get around. I don't have the ability to pull a vehicle. Is there any public transportation to the zoo and / or Sea World? Is Uber a good option but what if I have kids under four. Can I Uber and require car seats in Cali?
NoBadDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBadDays View Post
Ironically we are planning a stay here too. My concern is the public transportation to sea world and the zoo. We are brand new to having a MH and are worried about driving it in San Diego to get around. I don't have the ability to pull a vehicle. Is there any public transportation to the zoo and / or Sea World? Is Uber a good option but what if I have kids under four. Can I Uber and require car seats in Cali?
Both Sea World and the Zoo have RV parking and both are right off the freeway.
What size is your MH?

Not sure why you can't pull a toad with your motorhome.
Unless it's a Class B.
With kids you really need a toad.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #5

Quote:
You could give them a call or email them and ask them if alternate transportation is available.

Chula Vista RV Resort
460 Sandpiper Way
Chula Vista, CA 91910

info@chulavistarv.com - 800-741-6878
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #6

This will be the maiden run of the MH. We will pull a Toad in the future but just not this trip.

MH is 31 feet Class C. It should pull my Jeep JK eventually but the JK is about 2000 miles from the RV right now.

Thanks for the info on the RV parking we may just pull up stakes to head to those places. Also, I will call them. Maybe they have an idea.

Thanks for the help all.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #7

Getting around San Diego

Quote:
This will be the maiden run of the MH. We will pull a Toad in the future but just not this trip.

MH is 31 feet Class C. It should pull my Jeep JK eventually but the JK is about 2000 miles from the RV right now.

Thanks for the info on the RV parking we may just pull up stakes to head to those places. Also, I will call them. Maybe they have an idea.

Thanks for the help all.
We have a trolley system that works very well. Chula Vista to Downtown San Diego and even to Old Town. Then call for a car short ride to Zoo and Sea world. But the drive to Zoo and Seaworld are very easy and parking is good.
Realtorbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

Thanks I appreciate the help. I am amazed at how friendly this community is since getting on. We pick up our sun seeker in 13 days and I have been counting it down for about two months and reading posts. Can't wait to enjoy weekends in it.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #9

I recommend the SAN Diego Metro KOA which is in Chula Vista. We drove through the Chula Vista RV resort one time, looked more like a parking lot.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I recommend the SAN Diego Metro KOA which is in Chula Vista. We drove through the Chula Vista RV resort one time, looked more like a parking lot.
Pictures of Chula Vista and KOA

1st Picture is Chula Vista and 2nd KOA.

I guess they both look like parking lots.

You decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home22.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	123436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	123437  
Old 10-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #11

Iggy what time of year were these pictures taken.
Thanks
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Iggy what time of year were these pictures taken.
Thanks
I do not need to start an argument here.
The original thread was started asking about Chula Vista RV campground.
Not a KOA.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #13

Moving debate to another thread. I would love to know what people think.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #14

Not a parking lot. There are hedges between each site, you will appreciate the paved roads and level concrete pads. Spaces are a little tight, but adequate. Bike riding, access to the beach is awesome. Yes, it is a little expensive, but location, location, location. Public transportation is nearby, and you can probably get to everywhere you want to go with a little planning. Also, enterprise car rental will rent you a car reasonable and deliver it to you site.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #15

We were there Labor Day this year. It's not "right on the beach", the "beach side" spots back up to a public road. The park and beach are public. We had a Premier end spot which I thought were the best. There is a bike trail to Silver Strand beach. It's a little long but mostly dedicated to only bikes, it was about 15 miles round trip or so, but we stopped at Loews resort to have lunch. It was fun. The spots have hedges and are a little narrow but fine. The pool and spa were nice. You could Uber to the resorts easily.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #16

SD camping

If your wanting to be closer to Sea World, I would suggest staying at Campland on the Bay. This is a very kid friendly CG with planned kid activities as well as great playgrounds. Plus you can see the nightly fireworks at Sea World!
Camper Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #17

I recently spent 2 months and a week in Chula Vista RV resort and would recommend it. Yes it is a bit pricey, but the quality of the location, the closed gated community with actual roaming security guards at night provides a secure feeling for being in a strange area. The spaces are a bit narrow, but fully adequate and come with a picnic table and full hookups. WIFI even works fairly well. The location is very close to everything San Diego offers and is easy access off of I-5. There is a large marina attached to the south end of the resort and the resort is located right on the San Diego Bayfront. Beautiful sunsets most evenings.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #18

Quote:
You are less than a 1/4 mile to the joint bus/ light rail station. Public transportation is very easy from the location of the Chula Vista RV resort.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote