Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #1

Closure questions for planned trip out west

Hello All,

A week from today, DW and I are heading from northern Michigan to Montana along us 2. Returning via Wyoming, South Dakota etc... We plan to be on the road the entire month of September.

I popped into our local AAA office to get maps and what not the other day. The woman I spoke with indicated I needed to be cognizant of road closures due to weather or seasonal issues and or campgrounds being closed for the season.

We have never traveled west like this at this time of year. Is there anything you can share with us that will make our Journey more pleasant.

We are towing a Sanibel 3050 and typically drive 200 to 400 miles, stop and check things out for a day or two then move on. On trips like this we never know where we are going to land thus we never make reservations in advance for campgrounds. Our intention is to always stay in a full hook up Campground.

We don't typically carry a generator on adventures like this do you recommend I do so? Any other gear I might wish I had? I should mention that I always carry tools and materials to fix issues I may have. I'm a good little Boy Scout, I try to always be prepared.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pete and Cheryl
Pcdendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #2

On (Long) trips we carry a Gen. Only have used it once. Be Prepared Boy Scout! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Anacortesians

For us, Montana is "back East".
Old 08-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I'm a registered Boy Scout and have been for over 30 years. Before buying our first RV in 2010 I was backpacking for most of my camping. I never tried to carry a generator on my back, but next time I backpack I will so no one will accuse my of not being prepared.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

A week from today is beginning the Labor Day weekend so finding a full hookup might be a challenge. Most travelers can go a day. Or two without hookups. House batteries should recharge as you drive.

We often travel without reservations and call ahead as we reach an area to see if sites are available. We use Allstays Camp & RV to find campgrounds in an area we want to stop.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #6

When we travel west (Canadian side) it is usually later in the season. I also try to limit my travel to 300 miles per day. I have start to plan my trip a month before we leave. I check out what CG are open along the way. If the next CG is only 150 miles away and the next is 500 miles, I will make it a short day of 150 miles so my next day is only 350 miles. Also I carry an extra 5 gal. of gas. We did run out of gas on a trip the first year because the gas station between the two points was at a tourist trap and they where closed for the season. You should not have a problem finding CG along the way in Sept. We usually do not head west till mid Oct. The odd night we cannot get a CG is spent at a motel. Have fun and do not worry. Life is too short.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
Love My Sunseeker

Not sure about Wyoming. Montana campgrounds (some, not all) stay open through September to about October 15, at least those along the I-90 stretch. You will be on US2. Could be dicey.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

How big is your generator? If it can't run A/C and you have good batteries, why bother? Not having it will add to the adventure!
I search Google maps to find if there are any closures of roads and stuff.
Have you searched the forum here for threads about similar trips? It helped when planning our America trip.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #9

Thank you all for your comments. We always travel with paper maps and books as well as the Internet. We do research as we drive about what's ahead for viewing or spending the night. Never had too much problem with this method. We have just never been to Montana in September. We have no experience with weather and seasonal closing's out there.

I do hope I didn't offend any Boy Scouts out there. It was not my intention. I apologize if I did.

We are quite excited to get on the road.

Over the years we have carried generators, but never used them. I would buy a new one for this rig if I thought there was a quality reason to lug it around. I don't really need to haul the extra weight if its not necessary though.

P
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #10

in Wyoming ,they usually don't close any roads for the season till after November --they will close some hi mountain passes if there is good snow fall but plow them and re open them asap---no unusual to get snow anytime in the coming days and weeks but doesn't last long--plan your trip so you are no on the hi passes late day or you might spend the night in snow---Have seen a foot of snow on the Big Horns east fo Sheridan on Labor day weekend but we have been hot so far and calling for good warm weather for the next 10 days--good luck !!!!

2013 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab Duramax
2014 Puma Unleashed 351 THSS
2010 Camaro 2-RS/SS
2011 Can Am Commander 1000 XT
1 Wife--4 dogs --5 Horses
Seneca SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #11

From my experience this time of year in those states, you should be fine with the campgrounds, though weekends may still be crowded at some. As you noted, pay attention to highway closures and detours. Each state DOT lists their highway work on-line, and it pays to check ahead. Lots of highway construction going on this year, and it will until the weather brings an end to the season.

It sounds like a wonderful adventure, and the pace you mentioned sounds perfect! Good advice on the spare fuel, especially in the mountainous areas. The peace of mind is well worth the effort of carrying a gas can around.

Have a safe and enjoyable journey!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Shouldn't be any problems along Hiway 2. What they call the Hi Line in Montana. There should still be plenty of RV Parks available. Beware of the oil boom though centered around Williston ND as every rv space within miles of there is jammed. Plan your trip and plan to stay 150 to 200 miles either side of there.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Shouldn't be any problems along Hiway 2. What they call the Hi Line in Montana. There should still be plenty of RV Parks available. Beware of the oil boom though centered around Williston ND as every rv space within miles of there is jammed. Plan your trip and plan to stay 150 to 200 miles either side of there.
Thanks for the tip. We will plan on getting past there before we call it a day.

P
Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #14

Quote:
How big is your generator? If it can't run A/C and you have good batteries, why bother?
I doubt they'll need the A/C in September, given the concern raised appears to be rain/snow. I've seen snow in Yellowstone on June 15th, so I suspect snow could be a real possibility in Montana in Sept.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote