Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyMtnRoo View Post
Hello All,

We're heading out in June for a big road trip. Leaving from Colorado Springs headed all the way to the Pacific Coast with stops of varying lengths at Bryce Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, Sequoia, and finally Jalama Beach, CA. Return trip includes Death Valley, Vegas, Lake Havasu and Mesa Verde.

The main stops are obviously the National Parks, but if anyone has any recommendations for things to do or see close by any of these places, I'd love to hear what else is out there.

Also, my goal is to make the entire trip without eating at a chain restaurant, so any recommendations for good places to eat, or microbreweries, in those areas would be great.

Happy Travels to Everyone!
It will be hot in Death Valley, but of you head put that way, there is the Kern River Brewing Co. In Kernville, they have great beer and you can camp at Rivernook, it is nice and right on the river. Another brewery is the Indian Wells Valley Brewery in Ridgecrest. Have fun!
3boysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #22

X2 on the Navajo Tacos.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #23

Don't know all the details of your schedule, but you may want to consider the following itinerary after leaving Colorado: Visit Canyonlands NP and Arches NP near Moab, UT. Easy access from I-70. Recommend Shady Acres RV Park in Green River, UT, just off I-70 and away from the busy bustle of Moab. Easy drive from there on mostly scenic back roads to Capitol Reef NP, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Cedar Breaks and then on to Las Vegas via I-to/I-15. While in Las Vegas area, try to see Red Rock Canyon NM close by, and the State Park featuring the former vacation home of Howard Hughes just a few miles away. From Vegas, I would go to Death Valley through Pahrump. Stay a night there if you can. Several really nice RV Parks. Just west of Death Valley, we have stayed in Lone Pine at Boulder Creek. Lots to see and do there: Alabama Hills where hundreds of Westerns were filmed; Manzanar WWII Internment Campo; Lone Pine movie Museum, and lots of great places to eat. Drive north in US 395 to Mammoth Lakes, which is fantastic in the summer. Ride the gondola to the top of the mountain, take the tram to Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls. North of Mammoth, head across Tioga Summit on route 120 into Yosemite. Doubt you'll be able to get a campsite in the Valley, but we've stayed at High Sierra RV Park in Oakhurst near the South entrance on Rte 41. Continue south to Sequoia NP. Then head for the Coast.

On your return trip, I would consider going a southerly route on I-40 to Williams, AZ and the Grand Canyon. Then see Meteor Crater just E. of Flagstaff. Get you photos taken in Winslow, AZ, next to the Eagles' famous "Flat Bed Ford". Gallup, NM has a lot to offer. Try to get to Santa Fe, NM and taste the food at the Plaza Cafe right on the town square. Order your enchiladas "Christmas Style".

Whew!! I hope you're younger than I. I'm getting tired just thinking about your trip. Enjoy!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote