Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

CO, UT, CA, AZ Trip

Hello All,

We're heading out in June for a big road trip. Leaving from Colorado Springs headed all the way to the Pacific Coast with stops of varying lengths at Bryce Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, Sequoia, and finally Jalama Beach, CA. Return trip includes Death Valley, Vegas, Lake Havasu and Mesa Verde.

The main stops are obviously the National Parks, but if anyone has any recommendations for things to do or see close by any of these places, I'd love to hear what else is out there.

Also, my goal is to make the entire trip without eating at a chain restaurant, so any recommendations for good places to eat, or microbreweries, in those areas would be great.

Happy Travels to Everyone!
RkyMtnRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like a great trip.

Hope you've already got reservations for for all your California stays.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

grand canyon? Durango?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #4

Bearazona in Williams, Az if you are going that way.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #5

If you leave Colorado and end up in California, make sure you take your CO passport so they allow you back in.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #6

Your Trip West

Personally, I believe it would be a shame to drive all that way and totally ignore the coasts of both/either northern California and/or southern Oregon. To me, these are some of the most beautiful paces on earth. Good beaches, beautiful views, great food and (usually) wonderful people.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Personally, I believe it would be a shame to drive all that way and totally ignore the coasts of both/either northern California and/or southern Oregon. To me, these are some of the most beautiful paces on earth. Good beaches, beautiful views, great food and (usually) wonderful people.
The problem is that if the OP hasn't made reservations back in Nov/Dec, there won't be any coastal campsites available, other than an odd day here or there.
The OP only states Jalama Beach, which I hope they have reservations for already.

But I agree, as a native NorCal person, that the NorCal and Oregon coasts are spectacular and definitely worth visiting.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #8

I wouldn't go anywhere near Death Valley this time of year thru next November. It'll be hotter than the hinges of hades down there. Used to live in Pahrump and after March it turns into hell. Really puts a strain on you and your vehicle pulling through there. I would go around through Baker up to Pahrump and camp in Pahrump, then drive down to Death Valley but don't try to cross it pulling anything.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #9

Jalama

I agree, I hope you have reservations for Jalama already. It's a long drive from the main road to get there and lose the lottery. If you do have reservations, enjoy Jalama Burger and the camp store. We go a couple of times a year and love it there. Enjoy your trip!
BaileyGoesCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If you leave Colorado and end up in California, make sure you take your CO passport so they allow you back in.

2020 RAM 1500
RIP 2017 Wildwood 195BH
BaileyGoesCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #11

Don't forget Moab, UT

CanyonLands & Arches Nat'l Parks are a must when in Utah. Also, if you head north of Flagstaff on 89 you will need to stop a Cameron Trading Post restaurant and have one of there Navajo Tacos. Split it unless you are big eaters or are really hungry. We like to take US 160 from US 89 to the Springs. You could do Moab on way back since it's north of US 160 on US 191.
ajbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:34 PM   #12

If you pass through Boron, CA its worth an hour stop at the Borax mine visitor center.

Visitor Center - Borax

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #13
Newly Retired

Mesa Verde, Cliff Dwellings near Durango, are worth a half day in my opinion.
Four Corners region.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #14

Have you thought of Chama ??

Heading back east out of Mesa Verde, you might want to swing down to Chama, NM and ride the Cumbres and Toltec train. It takes a full day but they feed you a huge lunch. Then over to Alamosa and either to Walsenburg or Woodland Park.
Arenablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #15

This is a very ambitious RV trip. Here's hoping you have made firm reservations at most of the spots you plan to visit. Here are the spots we would recommend:

Zion River RV Park, just outside Zion NP.

High Sierra RV Park in Oakhurst, CA, just south of Yosemite.

Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in Williams, AZ. South of the South Rim of GCNP, with lots of great memorabilia relating to old Route 66. Great restaurnts there.

Boulder Creek RV Park in Lone Pine, CA. Close enough to make a day trip to Death Valley, but cool enough even in the summer. Lots to see at the Alabama Hills, Museums, and Manzanar Internment Camp. Near Mount Whitney.

Flying Flags RV Park in Buelton, CA. Not too far from Jalama Beach, but one of the nicest RV parks in SoCal. Great food at AJ's Cantina. Great shopping and family events at Solvang, a few miles East.

Pahrump. NV, has several nice RV parks, but will be hot - hot - hot. If you stay there, try to make s side trip to Red Rock Canyon National Monument, just West of Las Vegas.

Try to get to Santa Fe, NM, on your trip. Best Southwestern food on the planet, and still pretty cool in the summer.

Agree with those who proclaim the virtues of visiting the Northern California and Oregon Coasts during the summer. Not always crowded, usually cool, and some of the best food and wine on earth. Ferndale, CA, is our favorite spot, but Pacific City, OR, is a close second, with a tour of the Tillamook Cheese Factory a must!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyMtnRoo View Post
Hello All,

We're heading out in June for a big road trip. Leaving from Colorado Springs headed all the way to the Pacific Coast with stops of varying lengths at Bryce Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, Sequoia, and finally Jalama Beach, CA. Return trip includes Death Valley, Vegas, Lake Havasu and Mesa Verde.

The main stops are obviously the National Parks, but if anyone has any recommendations for things to do or see close by any of these places, I'd love to hear what else is out there.

Also, my goal is to make the entire trip without eating at a chain restaurant, so any recommendations for good places to eat, or microbreweries, in those areas would be great.

Happy Travels to Everyone!
I hope you do have reservations for Jalama Beach, pretty tough to get in there. If you can't get in there and want to stay close, in Lompoc is River Park. It's not very exciting but you could they drive (45 minutes) to Jalama from there. Also, don't believe your navigation, if coming from the South on the 101 don't take the 154 cutoff, just stay on 101. Solvang is a popular tourist place, lots of winery's and micro brews also. Buellton is nearby Solvang, there is a big RV park there Flying Flags. Two big steak houses in Buellton, Hitching Post and AJ Spurs...go hungry!
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The problem is that if the OP hasn't made reservations back in Nov/Dec, there won't be any coastal campsites available, other than an odd day here or there.
The OP only states Jalama Beach, which I hope they have reservations for already.

But I agree, as a native NorCal person, that the NorCal and Oregon coasts are spectacular and definitely worth visiting.
I'll say it again...we did the Oregon coast last year for the week beginning with the 4th of July, and half of our oceanside camping was drive-up without reservations. For sites we had reserved, we only reserved a couple of weeks in advance.

Dispersed sand camping in Oregon Dunes NRA is a must-do if you can get your rig onto the sand. We drove right into Beachside State Park and scored a spot. As for developed campgrounds, Fort Stevens is one of the nicest I've seen.

And for microbreweries, Moab Brewing Co. is worth a visit.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #18

Funny. DW and I are taking a weekend trip to Denver in middle of June. Probably just miss each other.

Where were you staying when in Vegas?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #19

I would recommend Bryce Canyon in Utah, and Valley of Fire near Las Vegas. Both are beautiful places to visit.
ZandyZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #20

There are so many beautiful National Parks to visit in the Southwest that it is hard to recommend any one in particular. Near Las Vegas, don't miss Red Rock Canyon National Monument. Take half a day to do the self-guided tour through the area. Lots of history, and unique geological formations.

Years ago we camped at Zion River RV Park, just West of the entrance to Zion NP. In addition to several day tours in Zion, we made several easy day trips to: (a) the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and (b) Bryce Canyon NP and Cedar Breaks NM. All worthwhile.

We have been back several times, and the people in SW Utah are the most friendly, welcoming we have ever met.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote