Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Cody WY to Devils Tower WY

Looking for thoughts, ideas, and experience for traveling from Cody to Devils tower with a motorhome/toad. I see 14 and 16 through the Bighorn area and alternatives that are much longer.

Trading off greatness of scenery versus difficulty of grades and curves versus time. Motorhome is gas with only brakes and tow mode for down hill control.

Thanks for all responses. (And the forum has been great helping with other segments of this trip!)
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #2

Hwy 14 is by far the steepest grade both up and down. Hwy 16 is better but still has plenty of steep grades. I lived in that corner of the world for many years and my choice would be Hwy 310 to Billings catch I-90 stop at Custer Battlefield and maybe overnight at the 7th Ranch RV park in Garreyowen.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

14 is more scenic but many tight curves and steeper grades. I chose 16 and it was not bad at all. There is a 20 mile long 5 percent grade climb with places to stop if need be. Do stop at the top for a photo. No tight curves on 16 either. There are some 6-7 percent grades on the downhill side, but they are not that long. Take it easy and you will have no issues.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #4

Depends on what you are comfortable with. I took the reverse and went from Ranchester, WY to Burgess Jct., stayed on 14 thru Shell Canyon to Greybull. Breathtaking drive for scenery - I didn't think it was 'scary' but I like back roads and less traffic.

If you do go the I-90 route, I second the recommendation for 7th Ranch and visiting the Custer Battlefield.

BTW, my rig is almost 60', but I do have an exhaust brake to help on downhill runs.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote