Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

Colorado Springs to West Yellowstone

I'm looking for some additional help from the great resources on this forum. We will be traveling from Colorado Springs to West Yellowstone, WY in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out the best route between the two points. Google Maps takes you straight through the park from Rawlins, WY, but fuel stops seem kind of sparse. My Garmin RV770 routes me about +100 miles west to come up through Idaho and into West Yellowstone from the southwest. Any thoughts on the best route that would have ample fuel stops? I'm trying to plan fuel stops at around 150 miles apart.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, I just now saw your post.

I’ve done the drive from Rawlins,WY to West Yellowstone, MT and I just couldn’t see adding 100 miles just to avoid driving through the park to get to West Yellowstone. You are right about fuel stops being few from Rawlins to West Yellowstone. We always fueled up in Rawlins, WY then in Lander, WY which is just 125 miles from Rawlins. After leaving Lander there are two resorts that sell fuel, the first one is Togwotee Mountain Lodge (Exxon) that will be on your right. The next one is the Hatchet Resort (Sinclair) on your left, this is the one we stopped at for fuel. From the Hatchet Resort it’s just 104 miles through the Tetons and Yellowstone to West Yellowstone, MT.

No matter which way you go you will encounter steep road grades so don’t count on getting great fuel mileage. Keep in mind it’s been 4 years since we’ve been that way so you might call those two resorts I mentioned and ask if they still sell fuel.

When driving through Yellowstone from the south you will probably encounter heavy traffic and people parked on both sides of the road at Lewis Falls (fricking idiots). The only other possible traffic issue will be any of the animal jams that buffalo seem to enjoy causing. As I said, I can’t see adding 100 miles to avoid driving through the parks and the scenery is spectacular.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

In addition there is gas in Dubois, by Jackson Lake Lodge and the Colter Bay Village convenience store. It is a spectacular drive all the way from Togwotee pass all the way to West Yellowstone. You cross the continental divide 4 times from Dubois to West Yellowstone. Pretty cool and all good roads. No big mountain dropoffs, just high country driving.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote