Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Colorado Travel - Driving in Mountains

My wife and I will be traveling to Duragno, CO. in July and are concerned about driving our 2015 Georgetown 329 in the mountains. Will the engine be able to handle the 10,000+ feet of elevation? There will be a total of 7 adults in the motorhome. Any suggestion or tips on making it up some of the steep grades? This is all new to us...first motorhome.
MSB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB68 View Post
My wife and I will be traveling to Duragno, CO. in July and are concerned about driving our 2015 Georgetown 329 in the mountains. Will the engine be able to handle the 10,000+ feet of elevation? There will be a total of 7 adults in the motorhome. Any suggestion or tips on making it up some of the steep grades? This is all new to us...first motorhome.
Yes, the thinner air decreases horsepower in combustible engines. When we moved here from Texas, we really noticed it in our van and car. I think the rule is a 300 HP vehicle will lose around 50 HP at 10,000 feet.

The mountain passes can take you up pretty high but, if you stay on the main roads, there is always either multiple lanes available or they'll have passing lanes set up on the steeper parts where RV's can be on the right and the speedier folks can zip around you.

But you should be fine...just don't push your vehicle and, most importantly, DON'T stand on your brakes when you are coming down the other side as you can actually lose them due to the heat....go into a lower gear and only use the brakes when you need to. (You will find spots to pull over if you find yourself using them a lot...safer to stop and let them cool for a bit.)

Also drink plenty of water here as the thin air will make you dehydrated and be careful if hiking or doing physical activities. (I've seen out-of-state football players pass out at our Air Force football games...the stadium is just under 7,000 feet.)

You'll love Colorado (and, no, not everyone here is a pot-head...most of us think the law is stupid and needs to be repealed.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #3

Estimate calculation....for HP loss at altitude
(elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000

Are you coming into Durango via Hwy 550 or via 160? Hwy 550 is also known as the million dollar highway and is spectacular; but not sure if it would be driving a motorhome.

First time I drove it, there were two cars, and the guy driving the car in front across the two-way and stated, "a million dollar highway and they couldn't afford guard rails!"

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

We will be traveling on US 160 and was concerned about the Wolf Creek area as it is over 10,000 ft in elevation. However, the tranny does auto downshift going down hills. Hope that will be enough for the almost 7% grade.
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #5

Don't be alarmed with 4000 RPM and you will be fine. Let the tranny downshift as needed, both up and down. After you do it once the next pass will be a piece of cake. That V10 should hold you back quite nicely going down, I know my V8 does as I have crossed a half dozen passes in Colorado from 9500-11000 feet.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #6

mountain passes

good advice in previous posts.

Also, when u get to the top of Wolf Creek Pass, slow down, real slow, like 20 mph.

you don't want to enter the down hill grade with any excess momentum. Can't remember if there is a pull over, but I would if possible to let any accumulated folks behind you pass.

Colorado law requires slow moving vehicles to let faster traffic pass WHEN ITS SAFE TO DO SO (my emphasis)

I recall that gas engines lose about 3% of power per thousand Ft of elevation rise, so 10000 Ft would be about 30% loss of HP.

Durango is really great, if you haven't made reservations (really needed in Colorado during the summer), I recommend the Durango KOA, nice folks, one of the best KOA's we have been to.

2014 Chaparral 25IKS
2014 Chevrolet 2500 crew cab, 6.0 gas
sparky67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
tar

Wolf creek , highway 160, is now 4 lanes to the bottom of pass
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
K.C.

Colorado Travel

Drive slow, watch your temp gauges and remember not to use overdrive. Wolf Creek Pass is very beautiful and now that there are more lanes you won't have as much guilt about slowing other drivers. I think you will love it here. Take water if you walk around at the scenic area. Enjoy yourselves.
K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar View Post
Wolf creek , highway 160, is now 4 lanes to the bottom of pass
I believe there's a pull off spot at the top to get out and look around, as well as to let the motor/tranny cool. We too are wanting to go out west and wondering if our 1500, 350 Chevy Suburban with 3.42 gears can pull our 4800 lb. travel trailer over those high passes.

Good Luck and enjoy. Wolf Creek is one of the prettiest passes in Colorado!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

Thanks so much to all of you that replied. We will take it slow and easy in the mountains, especially Wolf Creek area.
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
Old 04-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #11

As others stated, use the tow/haul button so the transmission will help hold your speed down. Be aware that when you are coming to a stop it will continue to downshift. When it downshifts to low, it will stand you on your head. Punch the button off before you stop if you have your speed under control. I forgot the speed at which it downshifts to low, but it's around 10 mph.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #12

Hi Mike & Sherry,

As others have said the best advice is to take it slow, not ride your brakes, and if you do start backing up traffic behind you pull over and let folks get by.

Coming from the east you'll probably also be crossing La Veta pass on Hwy 160 west of Walsenburg. At 9400' it's lower than Wolf Creek at 10800' but still a good uphill climb. Both passes have dual uphill lanes. The top of Wolf Creek has a pull off (south side of Hwy) and that's a good place to stop and gander at the mountains. You'll see a lot of standing dead pine due to the bark beetle. It's so bad it was mentioned in this month's National Geographic article on the beetle.

The west side of Wolf Creek is for the most part dual lane but does narrow down to single lane towards the bottom. There's a scenic pull off a little after it goes to single lane but the parking area is rather small for turning around a Class A.

Are you pulling a car behind you? I ask because it wouldn't be much fun driving that size rig around while sight seeing. There are places to rent a car (or with 7 people a van).

We live just outside Durango so if you have any questions or want suggestions on things to see and do feel free to ask.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #13

We stayed at Alpen Rose RV Park Durango, Colorado - Home in Durango. Came in from 4 corners. No big elevation from there. Lot's when you drive from Durango to Silverton though. Nice country
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #14

We are staying at Garden of the Gods RV resort in Colorado Springs; then at Vallecito RV resort just north of Bayfield, CO. where we will have a cabin, as well as the motorhome. We will be renting a van in Durango to drive the area. Heard that Mesa Verde National Park is a "must see"; is that true?
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
Old 04-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #15

Mesa Verde N P

I would say yes since it is unique.

The NP has its own off ramp from US Hwy 160, then another 15 miles or so inside the park to the actual housing sites.

Stop at the visitor center at the entrance to see which sites you want to see, some require climbing a wooden ladder, so plan accordingly.

From the visitor center, the road climbs about 1500 Ft along the side of the mesa, so definitely use the van, rv's are not allowed past the campground entrance.
The park is big, so allow time to see things, and of course standard Colorado accessories, water, sunscreen, hat, raincoat.

Have fun!

PS_ I assume you are riding the train in Durango, that is very unique also.

2014 Chaparral 25IKS
2014 Chevrolet 2500 crew cab, 6.0 gas
sparky67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #16

Mike,

From the Springs you have the option of Hwy 24 west to Buena Vista then south on Hwy 285 before picking up Hwy 160 to go west. Or shoot straight down I-25 and connect to Hwy 160 at Walsenburg. 24/285 is more scenic but probably not advisable driving a Class A in the mountains for the first time.

Lake Vallecito is a beautiful area to camp. To get into Durango you can either take CR 501 to CR 240 (Florida Rd) or go back south to Bayfield and west on Hwy 160.

As for Mesa Verde. Yes, it is something worth seeing. While there are early Native American settlements all over this area Mesa Verde has some excellent examples of these buildings. From Vallecito it's about 90 minutes to the park entrance. The new visitor center/museum just opened last year and is a great place to stop. Remember though this park gets a lot of visitors in the summer so you'll want to get tickets for the ranger led tours of the two main structures (Balcony House & Cliff Palace) ASAP. And as mentioned before the cliff dwellings are another 30 min beyond the entrance.

The Durango & Silverton Narrow Guage Rail Road (DSNGRR) is another premier attraction for the area. You're riding a rail line from Durango to Silverton behind an original steam engine. Just Google photos and you'll see why taking this trip is so popular.

For a folksy experience take in the Bar-D Wranglers Chuck Wagon Supper. It's a ride in a wagon - country style dinner - while cowboys sing kind of event.

Then there's the "Million Dollar Highway" It runs from Durango through Silverton to Ouray on Hwy 550. Stunning mountain scenery - for the passengers. The driver on the other hand needs to be watching the road as there are three mountain passes, lots of curves, and at places drop-offs of 800' + feet.

You're gonna love it!

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky67 View Post
good advice in previous posts.
Durango is really great, if you haven't made reservations (really needed in Colorado during the summer), I recommend the Durango KOA, nice folks, one of the best KOA's we have been to.
X2 on Durango being a really great place and on the Durango KOA. It's a little hard to find but well worth the effort.

Also, I *HIGHLY* recommend you call and make reservations for the Bar D Chuckwagon in Durango BAR D Chuckwagon | Durango Colorado Family Entertainment A definite highlight of your trip.
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #18

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. Your insight has been very helpful in planning this trip. We now have all our reservations made for CG and tickets for train ride; Mesa Verde; and a few other sites. Just found out that 4 more family members are coming; 7 in the motorhome and 4 via car!! Can I say family reunion!!
Days Camped 2017 = 56
Days Camped 2018 = 74
Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #19

Sounds like lots of family fun! I'm jeolous and hope to go out that way sometime this summer or Fall. Safe travels.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #20
Happy Keystone Owner

I always preferred watching the train pass through the campground at United Campgrounds of Durango.
Boarded the dogs at Willow Tree Kennels just up the road and they came back in the evening after the train returned for us to pick them up.
Both are great!

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, travel