Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Thumbs down Dakota Ridge RV Resort. No Emergency's

Here's our experience with this campground. We were on a 3 month camping excursion across the country starting @ Florida, 40 campsites 19 states.
So were at stop 29 Moab Valley in a heat wave and our air conditioner decides to fail on a Friday 2 pm, We search for mobile mechanics or repair shop with 1 return call from mobile mechanic, he checks the unit & says unit compressor shot. A frame camper special order unit.New unit needed.
We had to cancel the rest of the trip and all the reservations we canceled only charged us 10 dollars but Dakota Ridge kept 50% deposit of a 3 night stay $96.00. (No emergency's apply). They said we could come back for up to a year, but we live in Florida, not happening. My question is should these people have tried to treat us respectfully? I could show them proof that it was a true emergency situation. The lady just said everybody's cancellation is an emergency. No Refund
OGUYSRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #2

My surprise is you found someone in Moab to call you back on a trailer repair. For all my factory repairs I had to drag the trailer to Grand Junction; not much repairs in Moab unless it is a Jeep/Hummer/FJ, etc.

As for the refund? What did the terms say as you agreed to them when making the reservations. And I have to say, don't take this wrong, but lack of AC is not necessarily an emergency to all.

When I lived in Moab, I had AC in my house, but I often did some camping in the summer and I never had AC in my trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Always Learning

I tend to agree with f5moab, their cancellation policy is what it is when you make the reservation. Sucks that you had an A/C failure and had to cancel the remainder of the trip, but rules are rules.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #4

Sorry about your having to cancel your trip early.
Each privately owned campground, and groups like KOA and Jellystone's all have refund policies, and their usually listed right on their web sites. Some may let you come back at a later date, but that's up to the individual campground. Happened to us a few times in the past, and all you can do is move on.
We've all been there, in that position, and it's just something you have to accept. Don't let it get to you, don't let it ruin any future plans or trips.
Same thing happens to people who have to cancel airline flights, cruise trips, ect. at the last minute, although it's a lot more expensive.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

From now on will do more research for reviews like trip adviser.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...view_406154888

There's a lot of other campers that don't agree with there policy, maybe its there short season don't know. Don't think they will stay in business treating people the way they do. It's your repeat & happy customers that keep you in business.
OGUYSRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

Again, I hear your aggravation, but I went to their web site, and under their "policies", it clearly states that if you cancel, all deposites are "non-refundable".
It's one of those areas that when you make a reservation you have to make sure of what's what before you hit the "pay now" key.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGUYSRULE View Post
From now on will do more research for reviews like trip adviser.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...view_406154888

There's a lot of other campers that don't agree with there policy, maybe its there short season don't know. Don't think they will stay in business treating people the way they do. It's your repeat & happy customers that keep you in business.

Good idea and make sure to read the cancellation policy and what determines an emergency, if required.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #8

Not an unusual cancellation policy at all. What I don't understand is cancelling the rest of your trip.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #9

They reserved and held a spot for you preventing anyone else to stay in that spot. You canceled a longer reservation during what could be considered a prime time, weekend, etc (you didn't indicate the date) and expect them to take a loss for your misfortune?? They still have bills to pay and may not be able to rent that spot on the notice given. I agree with others in that you should have read the policy. It is not their fault your AC broke. Businesses have these polices for a reason. Sounds like they have been burned too many times and they finally got smart. I sure do appreciate it knowing that when I can't get in somewhere I know that if someone doesn't show the business is still making money. There is no such thing as free lunch.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #10

I've been on several 3 month trips with my 5th wheel and on a trip like that, things do go wrong. Frankly, part of the adventure of RVing is gaining the confidence and knowledge to deal with unexpected issues. We lost a wheel once and had to spend two weeks in a motel waiting for a replacement axle. We canceled one night at a campground and paid the cancellation fee. It was aggravating, but all part of RVing.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #11

Sorry for your interrupted trip. Dakota Ridge is a nice and well run campground. We have stayed there on two occasions for a week at a time. I agree with those who suggest knowing the terms and conditions that are part of the reservation you make. Sounds like you prefer to map out and make advance reservations for your trips. We generally don't. We did reserve Dakota Ridge because we knew we would be visiting family in the area during their busy season. But generally, we pick our next stop either the night before we leave or on the way. It adds some excitement and sometimes a little drama to our adventures. Happy Travels.
thandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #12

It's been my understanding that every CG is nonrefundable. What we tend to do is book the minimum # of nights. Then if necessary we extend another night. Usually we are allowed to stay on the same site. Only twice had to move sights.
Another thought. Join a discounter like Passport America. Half price on almost 2000 sights all over the US and Canada. Comes with a booklet but you can also access the listings online.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote