Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

Dinosaur NM (Jensen Utah) to Estes Park Co. Best Route

Currently located in Jensen Ut on US 40 and will be going to Estes Park Co. is this a viable route across Colorado or are there better alternative easier routes.

TIA
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

Are you planning to drive your motorhome across 12,000-foot Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park? If you stay on US 40 all the way to Granby and then take US 34 to Grand Lake, you will have to drive through RMNP to get to Estes Park.

If you were not planning to drive the MH over Trail Ridge, then you should get off US 40 at Kremmling and take CO 9 to I-70. I-70 east through the Eisenhower Tunnel will take you to US 6, then CO 119/72 (the Peak to Peak Highway) will take you to CO 7 and Estes Park. This is a scenic route that avoids the traffic in the Denver metro area.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I was not planning on driving the Motorhome over the trail ridge road. We have been to RMNP before and know the road and how difficult it is to drive a big rig on.
My GPS is taking me up into Wyoming and across I-80 and then down into the park. Seems way out of the way. That’s why I was curious about going US 40 toward Denver and then up to RMNP. Are there any issues driving across Colorado on US40?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

Only the wind between Vernal and Steamboat, but that would be worse on I-80, not better. And how are you getting from Jensen to I-80? US 191 north of Vernal has steeper grades and more hairpin turns than anything you would have on US 40 in Colorado!

US 40 is a good 2-3-lane road, with 3-4-lanes on the uphill to Rabbit Ears Pass and 6 lanes on I-70 to the tunnel. 4-6 lanes on I-70 from the tunnel to Denver.

One alternative route would be to leave US 40 at Muddy Pass (just south of Rabbit Ears) and take CO 14 through North Park to Fort Collins. Two-lane road to US 287, but you wouldn't have any more trouble with grades than on I-70. Very scenic, much less traveled by tourists than the I-70 route, and you might stop at the only Colorado State Forest campground with electricity along CO 14.

For more info on US 40, possible sights/stops, and pontential campgrounds, take a look at my blog HERE.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #5

Thanks for the advise. Drove 191 yesterday to Flaming Gorge and there is no way I would drive my motorhome on that road with all the switchbacks. I will take your advise and go 40 to I-70 and from there up to Estes Park. I-70 to Estes Park is the way I went the last time going to the park from the east.

Thanks for the advise and putting my mind at ease.

Tags
jensen, utah