Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
don't plan on camping in California WITHOUT reservations, even in the off-season.
since you can camp year-round here, competition for campsites is higher than most places. especially along the coast and at popular places like Yosemite.

of course, Nor California is better than the south end of the state but even coastal places can be reserved up, 6 months in advance.

camping in California is different than anywhere else in the U.S.
most of us don't even bother going unless we can reserve our sites.

private RV parks might have some sites available, without reservations, over public parks.
Why is it different?

I'm finding it difficult to find "trailer parks" in LA and surrounding areas. I will be moving home and want to live in a trailer park for about six months and there are only two listed, but I have found a few by chance and then find another by chance. It's been really hard. Plus, the monthly fees are outrageous. I don't want a vacation spot; I want a place where people park their trailers or motorhomes and live.

1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Usually the only reservations we make when traveling is our final destination, say the North rim at the Grand Canyon, because they usually are booked.
That's part of the problem. We know where we want to go but don't know when we will get there! I have approx. 35 days to cover approx 6000 miles... Thought we would hang a little longer in the areas we really like!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
BLM lands? Please excuse my ignorance!
Bureau of Land Management.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
BLM lands? Please excuse my ignorance!

Bureau of Land Management; Department of the Interior. The BLM administers Federal Public lands, primarily in the western states. BLM, in most states, have millions of acres of land that can be camped on outside of organized campgrounds. Example, BLM administers approx. 23 million acres in UT, 18 million acres in WY, 8 million acres in Montana and Dakotas, 15 million in CA, etc.

You also have millions of acres of Forest lands were you can disperse camp. Outside of Yellowstone; the Shoshone NF is a great example; thousands of places to camp.

So if you don't limit yourself to private or federal organized campgrounds, you will not have a problem finding a place to camp.

I have camped for many years in the states of ID, WY, MT, CO, UT, AZ and have never had a problem finding a place to set up a camp; including the busiest times of the year. I have only reserved final destination locations. For example this year, I have reserved a spot in Glacier for four days, but I will be out camping for close to three weeks and the majority will be dispersed.

You can obtain a lot of information by contacting the BLM field office or Forest service office near where you plan on camping. Example, if looking for a dispersed camping area in the Cody WY area, contact the Cody Field office. When dispersed camping, make sure the area you can camp is is legal. BLM does administers quite a few Wilderness Study Areas, and Animal Habitat areas that are closed to dispersed camping. (And if tent camping, there are some areas that require a portable toilet - not a problem for most trailers.)

The Field office will also be able to help you find an area where your rig can safely go. A big fifth wheel most likely will not be able to go where I go with a lifted 4x4 and a lifted popup trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Bureau of Land Management; Department of the Interior. The BLM administers Federal Public lands, primarily in the western states. BLM, in most states, have millions of acres of land that can be camped on outside of organized campgrounds. Example, BLM administers approx. 23 million acres in UT, 18 million acres in WY, 8 million acres in Montana and Dakotas, 15 million in CA, etc.

You also have millions of acres of Forest lands were you can disperse camp. Outside of Yellowstone; the Shoshone NF is a great example; thousands of places to camp.

So if you don't limit yourself to private or federal organized campgrounds, you will not have a problem finding a place to camp.

I have camped for many years in the states of ID, WY, MT, CO, UT, AZ and have never had a problem finding a place to set up a camp; including the busiest times of the year. I have only reserved final destination locations. For example this year, I have reserved a spot in Glacier for four days, but I will be out camping for close to three weeks and the majority will be dispersed.

You can obtain a lot of information by contacting the BLM field office or Forest service office near where you plan on camping. Example, if looking for a dispersed camping area in the Cody WY area, contact the Cody Field office. When dispersed camping, make sure the area you can camp is is legal. BLM does administers quite a few Wilderness Study Areas, and Animal Habitat areas that are closed to dispersed camping. (And if tent camping, there are some areas that require a portable toilet - not a problem for most trailers.)

The Field office will also be able to help you find an area where your rig can safely go. A big fifth wheel most likely will not be able to go where I go with a lifted 4x4 and a lifted popup trailer.
Thanks for all the info! This will come in handy, i'm sure...

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
Grape Escape

Lots depends on the size of trailer you have. With a tent trailer you open up way more available sites. The larger the trailer the less sites available to accomodate it. Weekends at most provincial and state parks will definitely be filled to capacity. Weekdays should not be a problem.
Private parks usually have more available sites
Serviced sites normally get taken first.
Enjoy the trip, I hear it's worth the drive.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

I'm jealous of those who can do this- but it would stress wife and I out to no end.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #18

We also did a cross country trip with no reservations. Just looked ahead on the map at where we might stop for the night, then located campgrounds in the area and called them. We did a 21 day trip and never had a problem finding a spot to stay in. Good luck and safe travels!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #19

California SPs have overflow camping available for a single night in the parking lot. Must arrive after "closing time" and leave before "opening time". Must be fully self contained. Fee is nominal.

This is intended for through travelers just looking for a spot to spend the night.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #20

Full timed for 9 years and never made reservation. Always found somewhere to stay.