Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte62 View Post
We also did a cross country trip with no reservations. Just looked ahead on the map at where we might stop for the night, then located campgrounds in the area and called them. We did a 21 day trip and never had a problem finding a spot to stay in. Good luck and safe travels!
That's exactly what we are planning... thanks for the kind words!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
California SPs have overflow camping available for a single night in the parking lot. Must arrive after "closing time" and leave before "opening time". Must be fully self contained. Fee is nominal.

This is intended for through travelers just looking for a spot to spend the night.
Thanks for the info. Do these spots typically have hydro?

Shineysideup
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj4400 View Post
Full timed for 9 years and never made reservation. Always found somewhere to stay.
Now thats a VACATION! I can only dream... Unless those lotto tickets pay off! Oh yeah, you gotta buy a ticket to have a chance... LOL!

Shineysideup
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #44

Well, if you come through the Moab area of Utah (Arches, Canyonlands NP) let me know. This is my home base....
Doug

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
Thanks for the info. Do these spots typically have hydro?
no, they don't have electric. it's just a parking lot.

just so you know, less than 1% of all the campsites in the California State Parks system, have any hookups. usually just water and electric.

these few sites are usually booked up all year, since they are rare.
the ones on the coast often cost $65.

so, if you need hookups, don't look to the California State Parks or the National Parks in California, for any.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #46

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Well, if you come through the Moab area of Utah (Arches, Canyonlands NP) let me know. This is my home base....
Doug
That's very kind Doug. I'll let you know where we are headed when we get closer to the departure date. One thing we are planning is the things we want to see...

Shineysideup
Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
no, they don't have electric. it's just a parking lot.

just so you know, less than 1% of all the campsites in the California State Parks system, have any hookups. usually just water and electric.

these few sites are usually booked up all year, since they are rare.
the ones on the coast often cost $65.

so, if you need hookups, don't look to the California State Parks or the National Parks in California, for any.
To me, water and electric are all the hookups we usually care about. I do enjoy full hookups for extended trips of 4 days or more in one location. $65 a night is unfortunately quite reasonable in southern Ontario. Our provincial parks are $50 a night on average...

Shineysideup
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #48
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Doug
Tell me more! We are coming from Korea (2nd time back in ten years) and would love some good advice!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #49

Depends on how long you have and what you have visited before. Depends on what you like to do.
Moab is noted as having some of the best slick rock mountain bike trails, and if here late enough in the year, the Lasal Mountains, just south of Moab have some great trails too.
Want to get away from it all, rent a 4x4, and head out with a lunch to places you may not see anyone all day (just do it safely with plenty of water, food and let someone know where you are going) and have lunch on the Colorado River.

Or, have lunch on the Green River....

A must see is Arches NP, which although it has a heck of a lot of Arches, some of the best views have no arches...
Such as Park Avenue

But, Arches does have some arches and the most famous is Delicate Arch, and it is an uphill walk of approx. 1.5 miles to see this view, but it is worth it.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #50

Canyonlands NP is large and divided into three unique districts. Island in the Sky is just northwest of Moab and is full of canyons, but has some great roads to travel on too.
Just don't go into the paved roads of the park, drop down onto some 4x4 trails (and a stock 4x4 with some ground clearance can do this road), it is an all day trail, but you can go out a bit and get views like this

And 80 percent of those who visit thisi area, never see that view or this view.

Of course up top you have a one of the best known photos you can get of an arch...Mesa Arch. Nice short (about 3/4 mile) walk in the early morning gets you something like this...

The rising sun makes the bottom of the arch glow and looking through the arch you can see Washer Woman and the Monster rock formations.

Outside of Canyonlands, you can visit Crystal Geyser which is a cold water carbon dioxide driven geyser...

So, what do you want to do when visiting the Moab area? The area offers you about everything from ATVs (which you can rent) to Skydiving (and plenty of base jumping too if interested).

Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #51
Incheon, S. Korea

Thank you so much!

Skydiving? You're funny... Base jumping? You're nuts!!!! LOL
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #52

Wonderful pictures Moab. We have amazing scenery in the West and the photography is excellent.
What model Silverado are you driving. I'm thinking 2500HD as soon as we sell our house.

Bill
bspickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #53

2013 1500...
I'm just pulling a 12' popup and it is just me and my dog. So I had no need for anything larger (at least this year).
I had a hard time going from actual tent camping to a popup. But when I did, I found out my H3 could pull the trailer ok, but it was not the most potent towing rig when driving in the mountains so I purchased the Silverado for long trips. Still use the H3 to pull the popup into the areas where the Silverado probably won't go (at least without a lift).

Old 04-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #54
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post

That's exactly what we are planning... thanks for the kind words!
We did a trip last July from Southern California in big circle through Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana and back around through Northern California with no reservations. We didn't have any problems. When we were ready to move on I got the iPad out the day before, got online and looked up parks where we were headed and made some calls. It was one of the most enjoyable trips we've had.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #55
Retired US Army CW4

............and f5moab is right. If you get near southern Utah make sure you go to Arches. You won't regret it!
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote