Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

Nashville can be bypassed using TN840. It's built to interstate standards - 4 lane limited access divided highway. TN instead of I was a political football several decades ago. Also I-640 bypasses downtown Knoxville and I-240 avoids downtown Memphis. An alternative to driving to the Grand Canyon from Williams is to take the train. Does limit the time at the Grand Canyon and avoids the hassle of driving and parking.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #12

Stop at the giant cross in Groom Texas near Amirillo. It's free to tour the life size stations of the cross.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertexan View Post
Nashville can be bypassed using TN840. It's built to interstate standards - 4 lane limited access divided highway. TN instead of I was a political football several decades ago. Also I-640 bypasses downtown Knoxville and I-240 avoids downtown Memphis. An alternative to driving to the Grand Canyon from Williams is to take the train. Does limit the time at the Grand Canyon and avoids the hassle of driving and parking.
840...best idea to avoid Nashville and the mess of interstates merging in Nashville.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #14
Old Timer

[QUOTE=vasnipe;776407]KOA in Oklahoma City East is good and near the Cowboy Hall of Fame ( National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum ) if you have time for a visit. The KOA in Amarillo, TX was near a dirt race track. We tent camped there and were placed near the entrance to the park where everyone coming in late not only woke us up with their vehicle and rig noise but coated us with dust. The race track operated pretty late and was a hassle trying to sleep. We were headed East from California and when we rolled into the Oklahoma City KOA the guy asked where we had come from. Told him we had come from the KOA in Amarillo and he replied "Oh, yeah. The dirt track, right?" Ayup!!!.
Traveling in a 5er will be a better experience than we had in Amarillo.
Enjoy your trip.

The place to stay overnite in Amarillo is the Overnite RV Park. It is just off I-40 at Lakeside Drive on the east side of Amarillo across the street from Pilot. We always stop there on the way to and from OKC.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #15

Thanks to everyone that replied. I really appreciate all of the good information. I was mainly concerned with the downgrades on I40 but I was glad to hear that there are few if any of them that I need to worry about. The wife and I are really starting to get excited about our trip even though it is over a month away. The whole trip is scheduled to take almost two months with all of the different stops that we have planned. Thanks, again for all of the information concerning I40.

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 128
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #16

I take it you do not already have an exhaust brake on your CTD. If you plan on doing any traveling out West like: WY, MT, ID, CO, UT, northern NM and AZ then I think that is a worthy investment. I have been on I-40 from Nashville to Kingmen, AZ back and forth several times nothing white knuckle about. Make it a point to drive from Williams (Flagstaff) to Sedona via route 89. That trip has some beautiful scenery. Take your time, enjoy the ride and be safe.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #17

No, my truck is stock now. I have been looking at the PACBrake system but I wanted to be sure that I needed it before I spent the money. I will be staying on I40 as much as possible out to the Grand Canyon and then take the same route back to North Carolina. So that was why I needed to know if there were any areas on I40 that I need to be worried about.

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 128
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #18
phat phrog stunt crew

If you do decide to run straight through the cities, when yo get to nashville, stay in the center lane and you will fine. Intersecting interstates do not have the usual off/on ramps, but instead split off in different directions. The middle lane isn't the fastest, but is the easiest way not to be caught in the wrong lane when the highways go their different directions. A far as rush hour goes, nashville isn't chicago or los angeles. Those are some stressfull cities to tow through during rush hour.