Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Driving US 64 from Cameron to Grand Canyon

Driving a 36 ft MH plus tow vehicle. How is driving on 64 to the Grand Canyon?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

The first question is Cameron what? Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana? Why is that impotant? Because part of U.S. 64 in Oklahoma is a toll road. Personally, I NEVER take my RV on a toll road. Except in Cimarron Canyon in northern New Mexico, there are no major mountains to cross. And, it is a U.S. highway, so it is obviously all paved, generally has shoulders, and is 65 mph, at least, along most of its length.

Second question is: are you going to the North Rim or South Rim of the Grand Canyon? Much of U.S. 64 in New Mexico is very scenic and much of it is rather "non-scenic." But it is perfect if you want to visit Capulin Volcano National Monument, Taos, Abiquiu, Chama, the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Aztec National Monument, Shiprock, and even Mesa Verde NP and Monument Valley. That route even takes you across the impressive Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, and, if you go to the North Rim, across the spectacular Navajo Bridge at Glen Canyon Dam.

In summary, U.S. 64 is a great route to the North Rim or the South Rim, whereas I-40 is really out of the way for the North Rim although much faster than 64 to the South Rim.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #3

If you are referring to Cameron Arizona and turning off hwy 89 onto hwy 64 and going to the south rim of the Grand Canyon then you are good to go. It is narrow and winding but I have seen some bigger rigs on there.
If you are coming south on 89 this is probably your best way to the Grand Canyon. You will still need to drive all the way through to an RV park and unhitch your toad and then backtrack to see all the sights you can't pull into going in.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. Took 64 off of 89 into the south rim. No problems.