Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Family trip in Northwest

I'm looking for a good place to travel with my young family in late May. I was planning on Yellowstone or Crater Lake, but I think the weather/snow will be prohibitive at that time. I live in Central WA State. Any great ideas for a great place to explore for a week in late May?

thanks!
kevinstennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

You should not have a snow problem in late May at Crater Lake. Roads should be clear,although there could be a few patches of snow on the surrounding hills, etc. You could also consider, in addition, the Oregon Caves, which are very interesting and worthwhile. They are not too far away from Crater Lake, southwest of Grants Pass off hiway 199. Have fun and enjoy!
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #3

Thank you Jim--I'll put your reply into my thinking equation!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

Bend or the Sunriver area is very nice as well.
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Not sure what you're looking for...lots of stuff for young families in the area.

As mentioned, the Oregon Caves are nice, and the Redwood trees nearby are spectacular.
Central Oregon (Bend, Redmond, Sunriver, Sisters) has far more than I could possibly list....hiking, biking, boating, fishing, volcanoes, golf, etc. for starters.
The Oregon Coast can be very nice in May...we usually visit the Astoria area around that time each year (Ft. Stevens, Cape Disappointment). Astoria loves to brag of their movie history (Goonies, Short Circuit, Kindergarten Cop). There are numerous sand dune ride and rental companies around Florence, Winchester bay, and Coos Bay, Oregon.

A few more areas you may look into...Hells Canyon, Mt. Shasta, St. Helens,
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

Base at Lapine state park. From there you have the high desert museum, collier memorial state park and the logging museum, pine mt observertory, lava cast forest, the Metolious river, sunriver, not to mention crater lake if it is snow free and several caves and lava tubes to explore.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Late May Trip

You should be able to visit Yellowstone in late May. Most facilities open Memorial Day. The animal viewing that time of year is very good. Might be some snow in higher areas but walks and such should be clear. We just got back from a Winter Visit there worth the trip if you can. Can hit Craters of the Moon National Park on your way to Yellowstone. Stay inside park at Madison can make reservation there or may good places just outside park. My kids always enjoyed Yellowstone.
Abey1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #8

If you can, set up a stay in Fishin Bridge, full hookups and nice Landry setup, in Yellowstone. We where there First week in June, great weather. Back roads where closed, all of the main roads and facilities where open and running. If you dry camp, plenty of places in the park, they were about half full when we were there.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #9

thanks for the feedback

We are, after all, planning a visit to Yellowstone the 3rd week of May. 2 nights at Madison and 3 nights at Fishing Bridge. Family of 5. 3 kids aged 10, 7, and 3. Not completely new to RV'ing, but this will be our first long trip in our new RV.