Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
We skipped Crazy Horse. Still under construction and way too expensive. I feel bad for the indians but this is a rip off.
It is unlikely that the Crazy Horse Monument will be done for some time but that does not make it a "rip off"

There is so much more there to see, historical items and information.

IMHO if all you did was drive by then you missed.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #22

Spearfish city park is really nice. Sturgis bike rally is always the first full week in August. Avoid that week and week before and after. Camping rates double during much of that period at most campgrounds. Some great maps available showing six or seven day trips. Enjoy.
Bobisgolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Hi All,
We are planning a trip next summer to Mt Rushmore. This our first trip east of Jackson, Wyoming and we are looking forward to seeing new sights! We'll be coming from Salt Lake City via Casper, WY. and are thinking about Sheridan Lake as a base for a 7 to 10 day stay.
Any input about Sheridan Lake or other campgrounds would be appreciated.
Also, looking for sightseeing suggestions in that same area. We are usually looking for the road less traveled so all suggestions welcomed.
Thanks in advance for your help
We stayed at Hart Ranch RV resort as our base camp, south of Rapid City.
What a great campground!!!

Don't miss the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary in
Hot Springs, South Dakota. Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary
raydee66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #24

Visited both Devils tower and mt Rushmore two years ago. Stayed at a koa at both locales. The koa Devils tower was great but there is only one thing there.... Devils tower. We spent only a day and a half there. The koa in rapid we stayed at was nice, but on Saturday the local drag strip goes full bore at about 10pm. I seriously thought the dragsters were in the camper with us and the strip was two miles away. Great trip though.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #25

Rushmore

Wife and I visited Mt Rushmore in late July, had beautiful weather.
We were traveling in our toad, our little Smart car.
I decided to have some fun with the parking attendant at Rushmore.
When I pulled up I asked her if there was a discount for having only "half a car" and needing just half a space.
Totally stopped her in her tracks in the middle of her spiel about the $11 parking fee, etc. When she recovered we both laughed and I forked over the $11 to park there.
This was our second visit, the first time in July of 1992 with our young children. We saw much that we remembered and saw a lot that was new to us. One of our stops was the Mammoth Site, had a great time. Glad it is still there for youngsters of all ages to enjoy.
Have a good time on your trip.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
It is unlikely that the Crazy Horse Monument will be done for some time but that does not make it a "rip off"

There is so much more there to see, historical items and information.

IMHO if all you did was drive by then you missed.

I agree. For one thing, Rushmore is very commercialized.

Crazy Horse has been operated totally on donated funds. And the history is fascinating and amazing, work started by one man and his family. Along with the monument is a museum and a college. When you hear the history behind the monument, you will understand why it is taking so long.
Well worth the time. We will go back again.
Rushmore is inspiring but the Crazy Horse story is much more interesting.
Wall Drugs is a tourist trap. But if you like that kind of thing, then by all means go.
Be sure to stop at the Welcome Centers when entering a state. Wonderful free tourist guides of the state. Full sized magazines with lots of beautiful color pictures and information. Also books by local authors and lots of info by the attendants.
At one, we had to park a ways down the street, parking lot not big enough to get into with camper but well worth the effort for the free information that we got!
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #27

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Gasman,,,,,I know what you mean about the heightened senses.....I felt that when we were at Mesa Verde National Park,,,,also at Hovenweep National Monument. and Canyon de Chelly.... If you don't feel the spirit of "those who came before.".....you're probably pretty much spiritually dead. What a feeling while there!!
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

We really liked Sheridan Lake South Shore Campground. National Forest Service.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #29

X2 on all the sites mentioned, Elsworth AFB is east of Rapid City, home of the Blackbird, Sr17, you can tour the small museum there. Lots of Cold War missile history there, as well as a silo repro you can go down in.. Gen Mac's office plane is housed there! Also caught a couple of Indian dancers and flute players at Crazy Horse. And lastly, a must try is the bison ribs at some of the eaterys there.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #30

There was a vendor at a kiosk at Bear Country who made buffalo burgers marinaded in beer. I'd been looking for years for the perfect buffalo burger, and that's where I found it. If he's still there, you won't be sorry. That was in 2007,,,,,
Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #31

Glad I saw this thread. I am planning a trip to the black hills with 3 other families for ATV'ing and siteseeing in July of 16.

Looks like we are going to stay at
Mystic Hills Hideaway - Home
If anyone has any feedback on this place please let me know.
I am leaning towards this place as they have on site cabins (one of our families wants that) on site RZR rentals, and rv sites all in onsite.
6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
X2 on all the sites mentioned, Elsworth AFB is east of Rapid City, home of the Blackbird, Sr17, you can tour the small museum there. Lots of Cold War missile history there, as well as a silo repro you can go down in.. Gen Mac's office plane is housed there! Also caught a couple of Indian dancers and flute players at Crazy Horse. And lastly, a must try is the bison ribs at some of the eaterys there.
Is that the Russian fighter?

Sumbuck is suppose to be real quick,
Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #33

Hi Ford,
SR 71 was built by the Lockheed "Skunkworks" to replace the U2. Actually flew in space. Super fast and very dangerous for the pilot.
Thanks to all for the input. We'll distill this down and I'm sure come up with a great itinerary.
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Hi Ford,
SR 71 was built by the Lockheed "Skunkworks" to replace the U2. Actually flew in space. Super fast and very dangerous for the pilot.
Thanks to all for the input. We'll distill this down and I'm sure come up with a great itinerary.
I know the SR 71 very well, however the SR 17 which is what I quoted is a Russian fighter and also known as "Blackbird"

Sad they were retired...
Old 11-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
If you don't feel the spirit of "those who came before.".....you're probably pretty much spiritually dead. What a feeling while there!!

Grampa...I agree. When we're out west sometimes I like to look at the surroundings and imagine what it would be like and what we'd be like 100-200 years ago. (family thinks I'm strange).

Also forgot to mention, if you go to Deadwood, go to the old cemetery above the city. Wild Bill Hickok Calamity Jane and Seth Bullock are buried there. Seth Bullock is buried with his wife in a spot above the rest of the cemetery.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:38 PM   #36

Gasman94,,,,we DID, as a matter of fact, take the Mt Moriah Cemetery tour. The story about Calamity asking to be buried right next to Bill was rather touching. And the sad story about Typhoid Mary was interesting also.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:45 PM   #37

I know the SR 71 very well, however the SR 17 which is what I quoted is a Russian fighter and also known as "Blackbird"

Sorry, my dyslexia must have been acting up again. Grew up on Nellis AFB and only saw one Blackbird. Never heard of a Russian "17". The whole base went on alert/lockdown when the Blackbird came in for an emergency. Very exciting for a high school kid to see first hand.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #38

Mt Rushmore SD.

Don't forget Deadwood SD. and the Badlands east of Wall SD also Walldrug. Its about 50 miles from Rapid City SD. There is LOTS to see in the Blackhills of South Dakota. a week is not long enough. But have fun.
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #39

Bismarck Lake

We have stayed at Bismarck Lake. Only vault toilets here, but a small quite place that is on a small lake Site 13 is super large, flat and looks into the woods. You have a huge front yard - all to yourself. We have stayed here with kids and had plenty of room to set up ladder ball and play catch, all in our own personal front yard. Not sure when you are planning on going, but I think it is the last week of July - the town of Custer has it's annual Gold Discovery Days. What a fun week of events and a wonderful small town parade - kids need to bring their candy bags! By staying here - you have eliminated the crazy/tiny/extreme dropoff roads with your rig. We have used this twice as home base (1 week at a time) and enjoyed it both times.
hjznewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #40

Thanks for the info on Bismarck Lake. We enjoy dry camping at the Forest Service campgrounds. Looks like about 30mi to Mt Rushmore. Appreciate the info as we'll be looking for as many "bucket list" photo opportunities as possible during our stay in that area. For photos of this years bucket list trip, click here: Forest River Forums - Canonman's Album: The Grand Loop…Sorta