Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #31

Glad I saw this thread. I am planning a trip to the black hills with 3 other families for ATV'ing and siteseeing in July of 16.

Looks like we are going to stay at
Mystic Hills Hideaway - Home
If anyone has any feedback on this place please let me know.
I am leaning towards this place as they have on site cabins (one of our families wants that) on site RZR rentals, and rv sites all in onsite.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
X2 on all the sites mentioned, Elsworth AFB is east of Rapid City, home of the Blackbird, Sr17, you can tour the small museum there. Lots of Cold War missile history there, as well as a silo repro you can go down in.. Gen Mac's office plane is housed there! Also caught a couple of Indian dancers and flute players at Crazy Horse. And lastly, a must try is the bison ribs at some of the eaterys there.
Is that the Russian fighter?

Sumbuck is suppose to be real quick,

Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #33

Hi Ford,
SR 71 was built by the Lockheed "Skunkworks" to replace the U2. Actually flew in space. Super fast and very dangerous for the pilot.
Thanks to all for the input. We'll distill this down and I'm sure come up with a great itinerary.
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Hi Ford,
SR 71 was built by the Lockheed "Skunkworks" to replace the U2. Actually flew in space. Super fast and very dangerous for the pilot.
Thanks to all for the input. We'll distill this down and I'm sure come up with a great itinerary.
I know the SR 71 very well, however the SR 17 which is what I quoted is a Russian fighter and also known as "Blackbird"

Sad they were retired...
Old 11-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
If you don't feel the spirit of "those who came before.".....you're probably pretty much spiritually dead. What a feeling while there!!

Grampa...I agree. When we're out west sometimes I like to look at the surroundings and imagine what it would be like and what we'd be like 100-200 years ago. (family thinks I'm strange).

Also forgot to mention, if you go to Deadwood, go to the old cemetery above the city. Wild Bill Hickok Calamity Jane and Seth Bullock are buried there. Seth Bullock is buried with his wife in a spot above the rest of the cemetery.

Rich
Old 11-07-2015, 11:38 PM   #36

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Gasman94,,,,we DID, as a matter of fact, take the Mt Moriah Cemetery tour. The story about Calamity asking to be buried right next to Bill was rather touching. And the sad story about Typhoid Mary was interesting also.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:45 PM   #37

I know the SR 71 very well, however the SR 17 which is what I quoted is a Russian fighter and also known as "Blackbird"

Sorry, my dyslexia must have been acting up again. Grew up on Nellis AFB and only saw one Blackbird. Never heard of a Russian "17". The whole base went on alert/lockdown when the Blackbird came in for an emergency. Very exciting for a high school kid to see first hand.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #38

Mt Rushmore SD.

Don't forget Deadwood SD. and the Badlands east of Wall SD also Walldrug. Its about 50 miles from Rapid City SD. There is LOTS to see in the Blackhills of South Dakota. a week is not long enough. But have fun.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #39

Bismarck Lake

We have stayed at Bismarck Lake. Only vault toilets here, but a small quite place that is on a small lake Site 13 is super large, flat and looks into the woods. You have a huge front yard - all to yourself. We have stayed here with kids and had plenty of room to set up ladder ball and play catch, all in our own personal front yard. Not sure when you are planning on going, but I think it is the last week of July - the town of Custer has it's annual Gold Discovery Days. What a fun week of events and a wonderful small town parade - kids need to bring their candy bags! By staying here - you have eliminated the crazy/tiny/extreme dropoff roads with your rig. We have used this twice as home base (1 week at a time) and enjoyed it both times.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #40

Thanks for the info on Bismarck Lake. We enjoy dry camping at the Forest Service campgrounds. Looks like about 30mi to Mt Rushmore. Appreciate the info as we'll be looking for as many "bucket list" photo opportunities as possible during our stay in that area. For photos of this years bucket list trip, click here: Forest River Forums - Canonman's Album: The Grand Loop…Sorta