Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

From Albuquerque to Phoenix?

We will be traveling from Albuquerque to Phoenix with a 40' fifth wheel. Can anyone tell me the best route? What is the earliest you would go without hitting a snow storm in the higher elevations. We're trying to plan for April. Thanks
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

We are down in Mesa now, we drove on I-40 to Holbook then headed south thru Payson down to Phoenix area. Only issue is that from Holbrook to Payson is two lane road, but much shorter than going to Flagstaff and then to Phoenix. We did it in January and no snow on roads.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #3

Thanks. Has anyone been down 87 from the meteor crater to Payson? Through Long Valley, Strawberry, and Pine?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #4

We have been back and forth several times with our CC in tow. Our route is 377 out of Holbrook to 277 to 260 into Payson. Then 87 south to 202. From there it depends on where in the area you are going for your final destination. You will have a 6000 foot elevation change from the high country down here. April is an gamble. It could be good or it could be snow. Last year we left mesa April 18 and had no problems. Just watch the weather, you might have to adjust your date a day or two. Coming down through the Tonto national forest is beautiful.

IM me if you need any info on the area or route.

2015 Ceder Creek 36CKTS
LeNe4847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #5

Has anyone been to Phoenix from Albuquerque using I-25 to Socorro then Hwy. 60 all .the way to Phoenix? It is two lane, but it looks like it might be a pretty drive.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

I-25

I-25 from Albuquerque, through Socorro to Las Cruces, then across on I-10 to Phoenix is a lovely route, good roads with some newer infrastructure. I wouldn't do the Hatch to Deming shortcut, slow going and a bugfest in the springtime. Have a great trip!

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
Has anyone been to Phoenix from Albuquerque using I-25 to Socorro then Hwy. 60 all .the way to Phoenix? It is two lane, but it looks like it might be a pretty drive.
We lived in Socorro for many years and have gone that way many times. It is very scenic all the way. There is a long climb out of the Rio Grande Valley at Socorro up Sedillo Hill, but relatively easy from then on. There is a short, steep climb west of Quemado. Highway 60 is 2 lane except for a passing lane up Sedillo Hill and a couple of passing lanes out west.

Gas up in Socorro. The next gas stations are in Magdalena, Datil, Quemado then Springerville AZ. Distance to Springerville is 146 miles. April is usually pretty good going that way, though you get the rare spring snow storm on occasion. Watch the weather.

Take a camera.

From Springerville, go west on US 60 to Show Low. There are some climbs along the way and good road. Then go west to Heber-Overgaard and stay on 260 to Payson. There's a long down - hill grade between Heber-Overgaard and Payson. Then go south on 87. That is a long downhill ride but is 4-lane.

Have a safe trip!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
Gold Tee Box

When in doubt I refer to a Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas that I've had for years. It highlights routes that are good for our trucker friends. These are pretty safe and dependable for any RV use.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

we live in payson. I-40 to Holbrook, then south to AZ-260 west to payson, then south on AZ-87 to AZ-202 and wherever you are going in phoenix. between Holbrook to payson will be 2 lane road but it is a good road. semis do it all day long. AZ-87 from payson to phoenix is a very good 4 lane divided road (word of caution, watch your speed as the highway patrol is always patrolling it). it has a couple of downgrades (7% for about 3 miles a couple of times).

as far as the weather goes in april you probably have a 90+% chance of good weather. but of course there could be a storm come though. if so, if you can wait just one day, it will change and clear up!

other options would be i-40 to winslow then south on 87 to payson then phoenix. two lanes from winslow to payson. or i-40 to flagstaff then i-17 south to phoenix. both of these routes also have some downgrades. there is a good downgrade with a curve on 87 just north of pine / strawberry but we have towed a 40 foot 5th wheel though there no problem. just slow down!

the payson merchants would love for you to stop, have lunch, and leave some cash!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
It is a very scenic drive. Just make sure you have plenty of time to do it, it is a slow drive. Research your fuel stops. Diesel will be harder to find.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by widogmom View Post
I-25 from Albuquerque, through Socorro to Las Cruces, then across on I-10 to Phoenix is a lovely route, good roads with some newer infrastructure. I wouldn't do the Hatch to Deming shortcut, slow going and a bugfest in the springtime. Have a great trip!
This is the route I would take.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:22 AM   #12

I-10 from Lordsburg to the Arizona state line can be an iffy drive. It's great road as long as it's not closed. The NM DOT will close that section of I-10 whenever the wind is bad enough to cause zero visibility dust storms. (Visibliity out the windshied is less than 3', not enough to see the road.) Last week, that stretch of I-10 was closed after a high speed chase ended in a vehicle rollover with a couple of deaths. Yesterday, Monday, I was in Lordsburg and couldn't make the 10 mile drive W on I-10 to return to my rv because I-10 was closed. The alternative route I took was one my RV would not have been able to make. The RV accessible route that avoids that section of I-10 adds 40 miles to the trip if you know I-10 is closed and exit the interstate before Lordsburg. If you find out it's closed when you reach Lordsburg, You'll need to backtrack around 10 miles E. You'll also need to verify that I-10 is open between NM 80 and the Arizona border because that's also sometimes closed.

If you end up going that way, and want to take the scenic route, you can take NM 80 South into Arizona (AZ 80) and travel through Douglass on the Mexican border, Bisbee, Tombstone, and, at Benson, rejoin I-10. I've been spending the last few winters in this area and it's all beautiful but very sparsely populated country.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #13

Thanks everyone! All the replys are helpful. Exactly the information I was looking for.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #14

Last week we towed our trailer from Phoenix east through Globe-Miami on US 60-70. Sunny, no snow, very little wind. But in early April a few years ago, we traveled in a snowstorm north and east from Silver City to Magdalena and Socorro on US 180/US 60. Got some great photos of the VLA antennas surrounding by low clouds, but the wind and cold were biting. Every spring is different, so all you can do is check the weather constantly and take the route that is easiest.

BTW, we tow our trailer over the Deming cutoff from I-25 to I-10 at all times of the year and have never had a problem. Yes, it is a two-lane road, but so is the Alaska Highway and that doesn't keep thousands of RVers from going to Alaska every summer. We have even been in a dust storm on the cutoff, but it was a tail wind, so the truck's fuel mileage was great!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote