Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #11

We agree with all of the above advice regarding the safety of keeping food inside a hard-sided trailer or motor home. Make sure that all food, including used dinner plates with residue, are either in the fridge, or in the trash. Do not keep anything that resembles a cooler outside, or in view in a tow vehicle. Bears have learned that coolers they can see means food they can eat, and I have seen dozens of examples of SUV's torn completely apart because bears wanted to access the food coolers that trhey could see/smell from outside.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #12

I was in Yellowstone in 08 and was in Canyon campground with a hard sided camper and beside me was a pop up and across the road was a tent camper. We all had fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #13

If the bears can't smell your food they won't be a problem. As stated already, keep the food in the trailer, in the fridge or sealed containers. Put all scraps, food wrappers, and other garbage right into the bear proof dumpsters.

St Mary campground was closed for a few days last year towards the end of summer because of bears feasting on all of the wild berries in that campground. Carry bear spray and learn how to use it. The rangers will often teach campers how to use the spray during their nightly camp ground talks.

Enjoy your stay. Glacier is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
The rangers will often teach campers how to use the spray during their nightly camp ground talks..
Hahaha. I wish my brother had have known that when he moved over here from the UK a few years back. He seriously thought that you applied bear spray in the same way you apply mosquito spray.

I would have paid to see him apply it before going out in to the woods but he read the instructions first. Darn.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #15

We are going Atlanta to Rushmore to Glacier to Yellowstone to Jackson Hole to Zion to Bryce Canyon to Capitol Reef to Arches in June/July...Thinking about then heading down to 4 corners...Maybe we'll see you on the road...have fun
Old 05-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #16

Our first trip to Glaicier was in a tent. We had bushes on 3 sides of the tent. A ranger walks up and picks berries of the bush eats it and says, the bears just love these berries.

Don't think DW slept at all the first 2 nights. But we never saw bears at our campsite

While staying overnight at the Granite Park Chalet, the ranger told stories about people and bear spray, including people using on themselves like deodorant or mosquito spray. One of the funnier stories was about a guy who pulled the safety pin/ clip off the spray and rolled it like a grenade to the bears feet.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #17

What about camp stoves being left out at night in your site? We've got a camp chef stove and bbq that we regularly use, and it definitely isn't spotless..

TT: 2013 26' Revere TBQB
TV: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Leaving anything that smells like food out will attract bears. The grease in the base of a grill is a great treat for bears. All it takes is a few campers to do this and bears start to regularly visit campsites. Once this occurs, the NPS will be forced to kill the bear to protect people. I hope this is clear.

I want my grandchildren (who don't exist today) to be able to see a bear in the wild. The only way this can happen is if we protect them by not feeding them.
=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
What about camp stoves being left out at night in your site? We've got a camp chef stove and bbq that we regularly use, and it definitely isn't spotless..
This will get you a ticket if you are lucky, otherwise, you be asked to leave the campgrounds immediately.

I had a water hydration bladder (camelbak) drying on the picnic table, I walked back to my site and the ranger told me that I should not have left that out.

While you think that the Rangers are being jerks and its no big deal, if a bear comes into the campground and considers it a place for food, that bear will probably end up euthanized. Is it fair for an animal following its instincts to be killed because we are too lazy to put things away?

With that said... Glacier is breathtaking, you will enjoy every second of it
Old 05-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

Thanks for the replies.. I've camped in bear country lots in the past, just wasn't sure of what Glacier's rules were.. I've been to Glacier a few times and really like enjoy it, just never camped there... Putting the stove away at night in the truck is no big deal.. Might have to look into a weekend trip there this summer...

TT: 2013 26' Revere TBQB
TV: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping