Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Got a logistics question for you all

If planning to travel the country, most likely doing lots of hill and mountain driving, is it best to haul a trailer? get a small rv? a big rv? or just a good van that could be modified to handle it and sleep in, etc? I'm worried about things like a/c blowing in the vehicle, transmission issues, etc. Too old to be doing auto mechanics on the side of the road so, while I know there will be many issues anyhow, I'd like to keep them at a minimum but still comfortably enjoy life on the road. Any suggestions or experiences? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
Always Learning

We are doing it in a 42' fifth wheel and 1-ton crew cab/long bed truck but know people the whole way down to truck campers and vans doing it..

Do it in whatever floats your boat.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
2012 Solera

We have a Solera Motorhome. Seems about right for the two of us and our Golden Retriever. Suggest you rent a couple of alternatives and try them out for one or two weeks each - helped us determine both size needed and which accessories we would use or didn't need.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #4

I thought you were placing your rig in a park for a year, maybe two?

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Ford, we are planting the TT for 2 or 3 years, then we get to retire and take off, LOL I tend to plan ahead
Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #6

JLeising, that's probably a good idea. I guess I just wanted to know which kinds of smaller rigs handle the hills and mountains better without breaking down half way up, I've had cars that do that and I've been in buses that have as well, so I just want to make sure when it comes to considering what kind of vehicle/C class or whatever, that I get something that can handle the traveling.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #7

If your considering a lot of travel and hills I would recommend
A diesel truck and a mid size TT. They have best power for hills and fuel milage for cost. I have a large 5er and a 350 super duty and have been all over with no problems. But as for others who are just checking I would recommend a Mid size TT because it would be a better tow for a beginner. And the truck would dubble as a run around when your set up.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #8

Thank you for the info. I think I need to take a class or have someone teach me how to tow, scares the heck out of me, but after looking at all kinds of units, if I don't learn to tow my options are very limited and since I would like to do this until I can't anymore, I need to have a comfortable road home.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

We have both a 5th wheel matched to a diesel GMC PU, and a Sunseeker 2300. Have had several of each over the years. Just wife (of 53 yrs) and me now. We use the 5th wheel when we go for a stay of 3 or more days in one place, assuming the place will accommodate the 5r. No problems with mountains with any modern diesel. We use the Sunseeker 2300 Chevy, 2013 Class C, when we don't plan on staying any particular place for more than a few days. It too handles the mountains without any problems, even when we take our Malibu toad in tow.
Either will go most anywhere we want to go without a problem, except the Sunseeker (25') will fit into most any campground. Best thing about the Sunseeker is that I can step into it, turn the key, and gone camping. Best thing about the 5r is when I get there, if it's hot, or buggy, outside I can go inside and enjoy my recliner.
In short, if mountain driving is a concern, any late model Diesel PU will handle that, especially if you get one with an exhaust brake, and most any of the Class Cs under 27' will do the same. Pick your poison.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #10

Hard to beat a 28-30 foot double slide 5th wheel with a diesel pickup. Get a trailer with a Gross weight under 10,000 pounds. Lots of options.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #11

This is all very helpful. I wasn't sure the reason for diesel vs. gas. I'm starting to get the picture though.