Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
2011 Georgetown 350TS

Grand Canyon

Traveling from Pa in sept to Grand Canyon, want to stay close to south rim. Looking for campground that also has a shuttle that will go to the GC visitor center. Looking at reviews from camper sites , they are very negative. Can anyone suggest a campground in the area? Would prefer full hookups, but just electric would be great. I would also consider something away from area that I can rent a car or take a tour to the canyon. Feeling very discouraged....
Leismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We stayed in Flagstaff when we were there because Trailer Village didn't have water and had to cancel our reservations. If I was to do it again we would stay in Williams, AZ (couple nice campgrounds) and ride the train to the south rim. (wife wants to spend a night in one of the lodges) No worries about parking, shuttles etc. You are limited on time, but unless you are wanting to do extensive hiking we had plenty of time to see all the lodges, walk along the rim, short hike down, eat lunch etc. Williams is on Route 66 and has a lot of nice eateries, shops, etc. It's about an hours drive to Canyon Village, if you want to do longer days.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Williams AZ would be my suggestion for visiting the GC. Nice little town. I usually stay at the campground that is run by the Railway Company. Very nice.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park last year. Nice place. We also took the train in to the Grand Canyon. Kids lobed the ride and it was relaxing not having to worry about parking or traffic.
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #5

We stayed at the Grand Canyon NP Trailer Village in the beginning of this May. We had full hookups to include cable TV. the shuttle bus comes right into the campground and you can go anywhere in the park for free. We saw a lot of elk in the campground. I would recommend it.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
2011 Georgetown 350TS

Thanks for all your suggestions
Leismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

I'm here now staying right outside the south entrance of the park at Grand Canyon Camper Villiage. It is nothing fancy and a little run down, but the water, sewer and electric all work fine. Bath houses are old and are what most the negative reviews mention, but we don't use them so we don't care. Nor do the 100 other folks here. A little expensive, but serves the purpose, is less than 5 miles from the park entrance, and there is a small town with a general store, fuel, and a few restaurants with in walking distance.

I would have preferred to stay in the park, but there was no availability.

Driving an hour each way each day gets old fast. So we made a few sacrifices to be close to the park.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #8

Grand Canyon

We stayed at trailer village inside the park in March and had all that you are looking for. Was even a short walk to grocery store. But they do get pretty busy.

The next choice would be the Grand Canyon railway hotel and Rv park. Downside is the 90 minute drive to the canyon.

Be prepared for the "locals" to stop by to graze on the trees or grass. Had one follow me to recycling dumpster- turned around and she was right there!

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #9

You are limited in choices to the campgrounds in the park. There is not much other than that in the immediate area. 10X campground is south of the park on Rt. 64, but there will be no shuttle service other than from the town of Tusayan. Williams is at the Junction of rt 64 and I-40 but you will have to hire a commercial shuttle or Pink jeep Tour to get a ride to the canyon.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:45 PM   #10

Stayed at the KOA in Williams in June. Can recommend it except for the darn lava rock they use to "pave" everything. Somehow a lot of it got tracked into the camper, and that stuff hurts. One hour to the park by car, or you can take the train. Be forewarned about hiking down the Bright Angel Trail. It's brutal coming back up. Make sure you take more water than you think you'll need, and allow 2-3x as long to get back out (assuming you don't have to be air-lifted). It's just as bad as hiking out the natural entrance of Carlsbad Caverns. Then add sun and heat to that.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #11

We were just at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park in Williams. Very nice! We rode the train up, took the tour bus and then the train back. It was a little expensive but it made for an easy visit. The down side is you do not get a lot of free time in the park. The tour bus (a very nice motor coach) stopped at only two of the overlooks, but stayed at each for 20-30 minutes. To us it was all we needed as we got the full view and feel of the canyon as we are not hikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radman View Post
We stayed at the Grand Canyon NP Trailer Village in the beginning of this May. We had full hookups to include cable TV. the shuttle bus comes right into the campground and you can go anywhere in the park for free. We saw a lot of elk in the campground. I would recommend it.
X2-Stayed there and would recommend it too.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The train runs from Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park in Williams and their clean CG is walking distance to the train depot. They also have a kennel on site for your pets in case you take the all day train ride.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #14

Will echo other replies about Williams, Az. We also stayed at Grand Canyon Railway Park and would definitely recommend it. Also took the train to the south rim. If you are a AAA member, they had a discount for train ride/upgrade, guided bus tour at the south rim and lunch. A little pricey, but all in all a great way to see a lot of the canyon if you just want to spend a day there. Also, Williams is a nice little town with some unique Rt 66 shopping and nice restaurants and even a brew pub. Have fun....wish we were going!

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #15

Grand Canyon

Yes coming up Bright Angel trail tough. But at least walk a short distance down --1/4 mile maybe. Will give you a whole different concept of the canyon.

I hiked to the bottom on the Kaibab trail. 7.2 mile. Stayed all night at Phantom Ranch campground at the bottom & back up the Bright Angel trail the next day 9.6 mile. One of the coolest things I've ever done --was 65 at that time!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Yes coming up Bright Angel trail tough. But at least walk a short distance down --1/4 mile maybe. Will give you a whole different concept of the canyon.

I hiked to the bottom on the Kaibab trail. 7.2 mile. Stayed all night at Phantom Ranch campground at the bottom & back up the Bright Angel trail the next day 9.6 mile. One of the coolest things I've ever done --was 65 at that time!!

Russell
You, sir, have my uttermost respect. My family only made it 3/4 of a mile down the bright angel before running out of water. I'm positive that had I gone much further I wouldn't have made it back out. And for all you sitting on the sidelines snorting with laughter, .75 mile on the bright angel doesn't even compare to that in the flatlands.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
You, sir, have my uttermost respect. My family only made it 3/4 of a mile down the bright angel before running out of water. I'm positive that had I gone much further I wouldn't have made it back out. And for all you sitting on the sidelines snorting with laughter, .75 mile on the bright angel doesn't even compare to that in the flatlands.

I agree I averaged one mile per hour going down. And the same coming up. Not so steep on the way up.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #18

If you are a golfer there is also a nice golf course in Williams. I think the name is Elephant Butte. Not too expensive and a nice course.
Hog wild is offline   Reply With Quote