Old 09-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #11

You have reminded me of my favorite trips that we have done. Have not been out west for way too long. Just replaced my F350 and can't wait to go out again. Great report, thanks and you story will help me get out there again.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #12

We are also in the west, stayed with friends in MN, then Hill City in the Black Hills, a night at a closed US Forest service campground in the Big Foot Mtns and are now in Yellowstone. On to the Tetons, Oregon coast and back to Utah for the 4 parks. Maybe the Grand Canyon, all on our way to our winter home in McAllen, TX. Driving a 2006 Lexington GTS, towing a Saturn Vue. We slow down on those mountain grades, but keep chugging. This is the same setup we did 10 weeks and 10,000 mile Alaska trip with. This trip about 7 weeks. Coming back home to WI this spring we did 5 weeks and the whole Gulf coast. Love our setup, sometimes instead of the Vue we pull a cargo trailer with one of the Harleys. Thanks for the campground tips, will use them. At Fishing Bridge RV park in Yellowstone. Bad potholes not fixed by Canberra, the concession company.

2006 Lexington 283GTS
towing a Harley or a Vue
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #13

Xanterra

2006 Lexington 283GTS
towing a Harley or a Vue
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
"All in Good Time"

Great report and great timing for me. We are in the middle of a 6k mile trip from NC to Grand Canyon to Napa. Came out on I40 w/5 nights at south rim in Williams AZ, great train ride to so rim. Went back in truck to east rim/desert view. Now in Chowchilla at the lakes RV/golf resort. Tomorrow to Napa for 4 nights. Going back I-80 to Monroe mi for 3 nights. Btw I'm from Toledo and lived in maumee before joining army in 1968, retired in 2001. Still have brother & 2 sisters there. Pulling a FRWildcat 5er w/ 2014 ram CTD that keeps us out of state parks. We're spoiled and love the 10-10-10 resorts. God bless, Vince & Ulli Nichols

Vince & Ulli

2016 Wildcat 327CK
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4x4
vnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnichols View Post
Great report and great timing for me. We are in the middle of a 6k mile trip from NC to Grand Canyon to Napa. Came out on I40 w/5 nights at south rim in Williams AZ, great train ride to so rim. Went back in truck to east rim/desert view. Now in Chowchilla at the lakes RV/golf resort. Tomorrow to Napa for 4 nights. Going back I-80 to Monroe mi for 3 nights. Btw I'm from Toledo and lived in maumee before joining army in 1968, retired in 2001. Still have brother & 2 sisters there. Pulling a FRWildcat 5er w/ 2014 ram CTD that keeps us out of state parks. We're spoiled and love the 10-10-10 resorts. God bless, Vince & Ulli Nichols
If you need some recommendations for Napa Valley, PM me.
We are from the area and the wife was in the wine industry for 10 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #16
"All in Good Time"

Would appreciate any recommendations for a good winery tour and resturants in down Town Napa. We will be there 4 nights and want to drive to SF and Monterey so limited time for wine tour and Napa. Help��

Vince & Ulli

2016 Wildcat 327CK
Old 09-17-2016, 11:53 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant

Castello di Amarosa is a castle that's also a winery.
They have a great tour.
Nearby is Sterling Winery which you ride a gondola up to and has great Valley views.
In nearby Calistoga, there's Chateau Montelena who helped put Napa Valley wines on the map by beating French wines at the famous 1976 competition.
The movie Bottle Shock was based on it.

Bounty Hunter is a good restaurant.
If you're staying at Napa Valley Expo, there's a great family Italian restaurant named Filippis Pizza Grotto nearby that's very affordable and has good food.
A fancier romantic Italian place is Ristorante Allegria.
Coles Chop House is a great steakhouse.
Norman Rose Tavern is an upscale pub.
All these are along 1st Street downtown.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #18
"All in Good Time"

Thank you!!! That is very helpfull we are staying at the expo, looking forward to a great time. Thanks again - Vince

Vince & Ulli

2016 Wildcat 327CK
Old 09-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #19
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnichols View Post
Thank you!!! That is very helpfull we are staying at the expo, looking forward to a great time. Thanks again - Vince
We lived a couple of blocks from the Expo.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
I agree on the I 70 pull in Utah -Steeeep !
Have you towed up the eastbound I-70 grade from Silverthorne, CO to the Eisenhower Tunnel through the Continental Divide? That 12 miles of constant 6% grade is a real test of TV capability. Since the tunnel was completed in 1973, we have seen innumerable RVs and trucks parked on the shoulder with hoods up and steam pouring out of their radiators.

Plus the multiple runaway truck ramps on the downhill side of that stretch of I-70 don't lend a lot of comfort to keeping your RV in the right lane when headed west either!

I think that must have been the grade that truck manufacturers used to design their exhaust brake systems to handle. If they can safely handle that grade and maybe the westbound, downhill section of US 160 over Wolf Creek Pass, they can handle anything. In the 1970's, there was even a trucker's song about that Wolf Creek Pass grade!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote