Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #1

Great Western Adventure 2014

We’re putting the final pieces together for a big trip out west this September-October. Leaving from Chattanooga we’ll head northwest to South Dakota (3 days). Then the adventure begins:
· Badlands National Park, 3 nights at Cedar pass CG
· Custer State Park, 5 nights at Game Lodge CG
· Sheridan, WY, 2 nights at the KOA and side trip to Little Big Horn Battlefield
· Yellowstone National Park, 7 nights at Fishing Bridge RV Camp
· Grand Teton National Park, 3 nights at Colter Bay RV Village
· Provo, UT 2 nights at motel
· Bryce Canyon National Park, 3 nights at Ruby’s RV Park
· Zion National Park, 3 nights at Watchman Campground
· Aztec, NM motel , 2 nights
· Chaco Culture National Park, 4 nights at Gallo Campground (this one’s a hard slog over terrible roads but it’s worth it!)
· Santa Fe, NM, 5 nights at KOA
Then 4-5 days return trip along I-40. Looks like 47 nights and about 4600 trailer miles. All our major reservations are made, I’ve upgraded to LT tires, and purchased an Equalizer WDH. Departure is set for August 30 and the final countdown has begun. 59 days to go!
2013 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8310SS
Don0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds great, and I am envious,

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Sounds great, and I am envious,
This will be the longest trip (duration) that we've ever done. And it will be the first time pulling this trailer over rugged terrain.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #4

I am planning a trip out West for next year (or year after) & have a couple questions...

On I40, do you have pre-arranged stop points or are you just stopping at affordable motels when you get tired of driving?
Also, what's your longest drive between campgrounds?

Before we go that distance I am replacing all (4) TT tires with Maxxis & placing one of the old China bombers on a spare rim so I have (2) spares. From my experience with commercial trailers, if you hit a sharp object with the front tire, it can take-out the back tire as well...

It looks like you have a good plan to cover a large area!
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
I am planning a trip out West for next year (or year after) & have a couple questions...

On I40, do you have pre-arranged stop points or are you just stopping at affordable motels when you get tired of driving?
Also, what's your longest drive between campgrounds?

Before we go that distance I am replacing all (4) TT tires with Maxxis & placing one of the old China bombers on a spare rim so I have (2) spares. From my experience with commercial trailers, if you hit a sharp object with the front tire, it can take-out the back tire as well...

It looks like you have a good plan to cover a large area!
We're still working out details on covering the big distances out to South Dakota and then back from Santa Fe. In general, we run no more than 400 miles per day (we're retired so we can take our time). On the way out, we've got our eye on a couple of conveniently located motels with good trailer parking (we use google earth/google maps to look at these). We probably won't make reservations on these transit stops until the last minute, if at all. I like to keep options open to allow for a shorter/longer day depending on conditions.

On the way back on I-40, I've noted approximate locations for overnights but haven't looked at details yet. We may camp but by this time of the trip simply pulling into a motel is really tempting.

Regarding tires, I currently have only one spare but may get another rim and tire just in case. Three years ago when we went west for a month in a little folding trailer, I carried two spares and that was just a single axle. With the double axle maybe I should carry four spares.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Anacortesians

From our viewpoint, all the places you're going to are "back East"!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #7

Western trip

Sounds like a great trip. May I suggest that since you will be in the area of Zion & Bryce Canyon that you also go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is not as popular as the south rim but it is still the Grand Canyon and spectacular. Sounds like you are traveling south to get to I-40. From Zion it is about 45 min to Kanab Ut, take Alt 89, visit the Canyon then travel to RT 89 and south to Flagstaff, AZ where you will hit I-40. It is all two lane roads but great scenery, and you will enjoy the drive.

Have a safe and wonderful trip

High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0426 View Post
On the way out, we've got our eye on a couple of conveniently located motels with good trailer parking (we use google earth/google maps to look at these). We probably won't make reservations on these transit stops until the last minute, if at all. I like to keep options open to allow for a shorter/longer day depending on conditions.

On the way back on I-40, I've noted approximate locations for overnights but haven't looked at details yet. We may camp but by this time of the trip simply pulling into a motel is really tempting.

Regarding tires, I currently have only one spare but may get another rim and tire just in case. Three years ago when we went west for a month in a little folding trailer, I carried two spares and that was just a single axle. With the double axle maybe I should carry four spares.

Motels: You have a TT use it and save $40+/nite and sleep in your own bed. Check out RV Park Reviews (Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews)

Tires: We have gone from Norcal to Fla and back every year for four years on the same original issue tires and never had a flat (knock on wood).

Old 07-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

I have to put in a plug for this RV Park right near Little Big Horn Battlefield.
7TH Ranch RV Camp and Historical Tours, South East Montana RV Park & Campground

I grew up right around the area and know the owners.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #10

I concur with the 7th Ranch suggestion as a place to stay. We were there this past May and the people were very friendly as well as being within several miles of the park entrance. Made touring the battlefield extremely easy.

We did the majority of your trip this past May/June. Wish we were still there!
FarmerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #11

If you are planning on going from Sheridan,Wy to Cody,Wy via hwy 14, the Bighorns there are some serious mountain to get over. What we call the Dayton-Kane highway with a big climb up the switchbacks out of Dayton then over the top and down Shell Canyon to Greybull. Beautiful country but some serious mountain driving.

I grew up in the Hardin Mt area so I have travelled all the roads in this area way back when.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, vent