Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Always Learning

Hawaii... which island?

This idea is firmly in "zany idea"-land, but it's gaining some traction. My wife and I bought into Disney's timeshare program and when we end up out west this year, we were thinking of flying to Hawaii to their resort for a week's vacation (figuring costs would be cheaper flying from the west coast vs. anywhere else).

But, I got thinking- if we already flew to Hawaii and are nomadic anyway, why not spend a month living/working from there. I think I should be able to find a passable yet inexpensive VRBO/furnished home rental for a month (that comes close to matching my current RV site budget of $1,500/month).

The Disney Resort (Aulani) is on the island with Pearl Harbor & Honolulu. I'd want to spend my month on another island ... I think / just because.

But, I seriously know zero about Hawaii. A few searches have yielded results on the Big Island.

Thoughts? Opinions? Witty commentary?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

I just got back from 1 week on the big island. Saw some really cool sites as there are a bunch of natural attractions. I can't speak to any of the other islands as I have never been. But I found the big island not touristy at all and I enjoyed myself immensely. I am trying to get back there sooner rather than later.

Hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:59 AM   #3
Site Team

We've been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai.
It's a no-brainer for us that Kauai was easily our favorite and our first choice if we went back.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This idea is firmly in "zany idea"-land, but it's gaining some traction. My wife and I bought into Disney's timeshare program and when we end up out west this year, we were thinking of flying to Hawaii to their resort for a week's vacation (figuring costs would be cheaper flying from the west coast vs. anywhere else).

But, I got thinking- if we already flew to Hawaii and are nomadic anyway, why not spend a month living/working from there. I think I should be able to find a passable yet inexpensive VRBO/furnished home rental for a month (that comes close to matching my current RV site budget of $1,500/month).

The Disney Resort (Aulani) is on the island with Pearl Harbor & Honolulu. I'd want to spend my month on another island ... I think / just because.

But, I seriously know zero about Hawaii. A few searches have yielded results on the Big Island.

Thoughts? Opinions? Witty commentary?
I Think I paid that for a week, It is very expensive to rent there. You better do some home work on that one... PS: that was Kauai, which I think is best island.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

We spent 2 weeks in Hawaii this past spring and stayed on each of the 4 main Islands. Of course anyone going to Hawaii should visit Oahu for its historical value and natural beauty, {My thoughts}.
The second Island we visited was Kauai and the beauty and things to do is really something to behold. This was the first time My wife and I ever road in a helicopter as we knew that we would never see the island or the waterfalls the island is noted for without riding in the helicopter.
The third island we visited was Big Island. This is the largest Island and still has an active volcano. We had a rented car on each Island and drove completely around Big Island. We also took a second helicopter ride here as we wanted to see an active volcano. We stayed in a beautiful hotel overlooking the ocean with black volcanic rock every where. If you want to look at a place that is still being built out of volcanic lava this is the place to go. It is not a lush tropical island, but a rather barren island, but I was excited to visit this island. I would go back, but this rates 4 out of the 4 Islands to return to.
Next was Maui. This Island was very interesting and had places to view that are breath taking. You can travel the mountain areas and be above the clouds for a view that goes on forever. Each Island has some very old towns to visit. On Maui we visited several of the old towns and enjoyed eating at some strange places with great food. This Island rates as number 3 but still an Island that would be great to visit again
Overall it cost bunches of money to stay on any of the Islands and food prices are pretty high. Do a lot of checking before you go so you won't be surprised by the prices.
Good Luck and please let everyone know what you do.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #6

Absolutely Kauai

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
suebrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

We went to Kona (the big island) for the iron man 2 years ago. It was absolutely beautiful and much smaller & more relaxed than the other islands. Although it was the biggest land mass wise, the population is much smaller. All the locals were so friendly and one local even gave us his spare car since we couldn't snag a rental. If you are wanting to work while you are there, another great thing about the big island is that is where the majority of farms are where they make local jelly, soaps, & other items. You might have better luck snagging a side job at something like that then trying at the more tourist crazy islands.....just my opinion though

Cody
2016 Cherokee 264L
2015 F250 Crew Cab 4x4
Davis_Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #8

We have been to Oahu twice, the first time we stayed in Honolulu (Waikiki), the second time we stayed at the Aulani resort. We quite enjoyed the stay at Aulani, definitely a beautiful resort, but their food is not that great. I found the resort to be very comparable to their Animal Kingdom resort in Florida. I would recommend both resorts.
Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Dole factory, the North Shore and the Kualoa Ranch were well worth visiting, to name just a few spots.
We have also traveled to Maui, and preferred it to Oahu. Much more relaxed and appealing to us, and a much greater variety of scenery. The Hana Highway is well worth the drive, just don't make Hana a destination as there really isn't anything there.
Watch the sun rise on Haleakala, or stroll through the shops in Lahaina (best shaved ice cones I have ever had)... Soo much to do here..
Next trip will be Kona and Kauai, can't wait!!!

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #9

Oahu is always our first choice. It has the most people, but you will never be bored. We stay on the beach in Waikiki and it is by far our favourite destination. The people there really know the definition of hospitality.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #10

Hawaii... which island?

I would suggest to fly to Oahu--then take a 7 day cruise from the harbor there to the other 3 islands.

The cruise will spend a couple days at the Big Island a couple at Maui and a day at Kauai. Then back to Oahu. We rented cars on each island and then back to boat each night.

You can make your vacation as long as you want on Oahu before or after the cruise.

We have done it both ways. It is easy also to get flights to and from island to island. Reasonable also.

If going to only one island? Wow. Hard choice-- Oahu is busy-- Big Island -volcanoes and ranches -Maui -little of everything. Kauai-just quiet & laid back
Enjoy

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #11
I Break Everything

Oahu, more laid back.

North Shore!

m

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #12

Oahu is my pick.

I learned the following while visiting my nephew in Oahu for 14 days. Some of this may be dated but I am sure it still holds true.

When dealing with local vendors ask for the "Kamaaina Rate". This tells the vendor that you are a local not a tourist. You may or may not be challenged to show your DL. I have even had them give me the discount because I was smart enough to know about it. It's all in how they feel at the moment.

Souvenirs: (Save Big $)
Prior to purchases go to the "Aloha Stadium" and shop there. They have a flea market twice a week that rings the stadium in multiple rows. Each ring will have different items. One ring will have the same clothing that you will see in the hotels and stores. Another will have stuff like carpet. When I went, there were five rings around the stadium and the flea market was held on Tuesday and Thursday.
#Note - The "Kamaaina Rate" does not apply here. These are locals selling to locals. You might piss somebody off...

Car rental: (Save Big $)
Seek out local travel agencies and price a rental so you can make day trips to likes of the North Shore (dinner at sunset is awesome) and Hunauma Bay for snorkeling. Remember that outside of the cities the police will not be in marked cars. The police can be in some old POS car or truck. There is always one assigned to each construction zone...

Spur of the Moment Island Travel: (Save Big $)
Seek out local travel agencies and price a two day package to another island.

Luau: (Save Big $)
Seek out local travel agencies and price a show. These Luau's are run nightly by a handful of companies. You just need the travel agent to tell you what time and at what hotel they are picking up at. You will picked up by a bus. Along with a butt load of other tourists.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

My wife and I did a week in Maui for our honeymoon 8 years ago. We loved it. We pretty much spent all our time on the beach. We found an awesome cove and did some snorkeling. Never had a problem with crowds. We did the Hana Bay road trip. Rented a Harley and cruised the upper portion. Went to the top of the volcano. Over all we loved it and want to go back some day.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #14

If you are staying at Aulani the Paradise Cove Luau is a 5 min walk, and worth the visit if you have never been to a Luau before.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #15

For us, visiting Hawaii involved a very long plane ride and we knew that although not a once in a lifetime trip, a second or third trip would be years off and maybe never.

We took a cruise. Each evening the big boat traveled to a new island and each morning a new adventure for us. We didn't have to worry about flights between islands or packing and un-packing. Food is included on the boat as were daily excursions available. We loved it.

We have yet to make a second trip to Hawaii but when we do, I think we would fly in a few days early and stay on the beach, then book back to back weeks on the local cruise ship to take us around the island for 14 days. After our back to back cruise weeks, head to the airport and fly home.

We love to cruise and Hawaii is a very special place to visit.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #16

I would think the question of Which Island would vary depending on the route you are going to take driving your RV over there...........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Maui.....Lahaina!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I would think the question of Which Island would vary depending on the route you are going to take driving your RV over there...........

That too.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #19

Do ya think nitrogen in your tires might be helpful?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #20

If you have military benefits, Oahu is a good choice with the Pearl Harbor Exchange and other installations around the island. Honolulu is a big city with big city problems, including a surprisingly large homeless issue (not really a problem, but it's there) and rush hour traffic is no fun at all. If you want to escape the tourists, and eventually you will, the North Shore is much more laid back.
My wife and I will be retiring there in a few years, she spent much of her youth on the islands and I was told that retiring there was part of the marriage deal back when we were still dating, so we finally decided on the Big Island as you get the most for your money there and tourism is at a minimum. Many folks there have enough land to raise their own vegetables and even keep a few chickens, which is a pretty fun hobby as well as being quite practical.
I know your plans differ, but do your research and match an island to your preferences. The cruise ideas mentioned is also a very good option to get a taste of what each location has to offer, as they differ widely from island to island.
Have fun!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote