Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

Headed to Oregon

My wife and I are headed to Oregon from South Dakota this summer. We enjoy dry, no hook up camping and hiking. Any suggestions on things we should see and things to avoid?? Neither of us are big fans of large cities. We enjoy the outdoors.
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Highway 97 is in your desires.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf465 View Post
My wife and I are headed to Oregon from South Dakota this summer. We enjoy dry, no hook up camping and hiking. Any suggestions on things we should see and things to avoid?? Neither of us are big fans of large cities. We enjoy the outdoors.
If you have a little time, I would cross over on 90 through the Black hills and Gillette.. then hit south on 25 into Casper.. pick up 26 west through Dubois... play around in Southern Yellowstone but keep on 26 into Idaho Falls. From there I would probably go North on I15 up through Butte and pick up I90 that will take you through Lolo NF all the way into Spokane.

From there you can pick up South I82 until you it Hermiston and go west on I84 from there.

TONS of dry camping opportunities.. beautiful countryside... ample opportunities to hit some side trips. One of my most favorite drives.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Left Coast

Prineville (we call it Pruneville) and Bend and LaPine are also decent places to visit....oh, and Sisters,just west of Bend. Central Ore. is high dessert country, with lots to do...can get warm thou.....East side of Cascade Mts.....Also, you really need to see the Columbia River....I-84 is right next to it. Mt. Hood is aw-sum...if we'd had any snow last winter. For what you like to do, that would be my 2cents. Oh, on 97, they use red rock along the shoulders of the highway, and at the right time of day...preettty!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
LaPine are also decent places to visit
LaPine? Really?? lol a diner and a gas station. Although between Bend and LaPine is a nice stop off. Hit the Museum and Lava caves.

I will say this though.. the LaPine diner has an awesome (forget your cholesterol) biscuits and gravy with bacon breakfast for a song.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
LaPine? Really?? lol a diner and a gas station. Although between Bend and LaPine is a nice stop off. Hit the Museum and Lava caves.

I will say this though.. the LaPine diner has an awesome (forget your cholesterol) biscuits and gravy with bacon breakfast for a song.
Well, don;t care for big cities, like dry camping, hiking......if you break down in those areas, you get all 3 at once. As I'm heading back from Nashville, we're going into his (their) area to snoop around.... don't need bad info!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

Don't miss Lost Lake south of Bend. It's lost again. It drains into the lava formations every once in awhile. It's a very interesting phenomenon. The Lava Beds National Monument is cool, again just south of Bend. All of this is near Hwy 97. On your way through Gilchrist wave to my old high school. From there head up to Crater Lake as that is a must. The Rogue River gorge between there and Medford is neat. Then there is no coast like the Oregon coast.
bboorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
Left Coast

Don't blink going thru Gilchrist, as you'll most likely miss it. and as posted above, if you like water...CL and the coast is the place to be.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 AM   #9

lava beds natl monument is actually in nor cal but just barely. lava tubes with free helmets and flashlights last time I was there. captain jack and the modocs is one of the more interesting stories in history. oregon takes more pride in their state campgrounds than cali. humbug mountain was immaculate and boasts the highest peak on the coast, a good hike for sure.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
lava beds natl monument is actually in nor cal but just barely. lava tubes with free helmets and flashlights last time I was there. captain jack and the modocs is one of the more interesting stories in history. oregon takes more pride in their state campgrounds than cali. humbug mountain was immaculate and boasts the highest peak on the coast, a good hike for sure.

You are right. I was thinking of Lava Butte closer to Bend. Looking at the map they call it Lava Lands. I should know better as my dad had a pumice mining operation near Lava Beds in Tionesta, CA when I was born. That means a long time ago, back when pumice was used for building blocks.
bboorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 AM   #11

We were up a Pauline lake by Sun River 2 weeks ago, and seen some great dry camping right on the lake. Hand pump water only and pit toilets. That was at Little Crater Campgrounds. Now I wish I had a smaller trailer so we could go there.
litz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #12

Crater lake is a good option as well. My personal favorites are LaPine and Prineville.
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #13

The Newberry Crater area of central Oregon is always beautiful. The Cascade Lakes highway east of Bend has lots of campgrounds, and there is also free camping on several of the lakes. You can find those with google earth and a willingness to travel down dirt roads. Hells Canyon on the Oregon Idaho border is really pretty, but ice only driven through and not camped.
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #14

Having lived in Bend, Oregon which is sometimes referred to as Central Oregon, there are never ending beautiful off the grid things to do. In Bend itself there are not many campsites. But head into the Cascades on the Cascades Lakes Highway and you will find the most popular camping in all of Oregon. There is a loop drive that goes past Mt. Bachelor, the sixth largest ski are in America, and then right into the Cascade Lakes region where there are too many lakes and rivers to mention. I can suggest a few but they are all interesting and have various campgrounds at them. To truly get off the grid, you would need to know the area well and have good maps. The previously suggested towns of La Pine, Prineville and Redmond are all losers in every aspect unless you like dead places for the most part IMHO. Sorry if I offend anyone. I am sure I did.
Bend itself is a great town with most everything you can want. In the summer there are a lot of outside music venues, festivals, etc. Very active place. But just one hour west, in the mountains, its all peace and quiet if you choose the right spot.
I would be happy to email back and forth with you about more details if you want. My email is dougmichaelsmusic@gmail.com

Good luck and have fun dreaming.........
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote