Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #21

JPSPete,
We were at the battlefield right after the area had burned.....
This allowed them to find a whole bunch of stuff that they had on display there onsite.
Did they take it all away?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #22

+1 on Cody. Museum is worth the trip. We had good meals at the Irma in Cody and at the Pahaska Tepee en route to Yellowstone. Wall Drug is a monumental disappointment. Could not find a decent place to eat. I also agree with the folks who say that Crazy Horse from the road is about as good as it gets.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #23

Went in 2014. Wasn't real impressed. They advertise free parking and it is free after you pay the admissions. What really upset me is you turn on road going to the monument and there is a median with no way to turn around. It has turn around areas but they are blocked off. You go through a toll booth setup and they won't let you turn around without paying. I was on a time line and didn't have the hours it would have taken to go through all the museums. Definitely nothing to see from the parking lot. Nothing been done in several years to the monument.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
In ,Custer, camp at Beaver Lake. Great Campground
How is Beaver Lake? We'll be there mid August.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #25

Crazy horse

Forget crazy horse... Rushmore and Custer good!
conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #26

We have gone there at least once a year for the last 20 or so years. Though we realize the monument won't be finished in our lifetime, we can see the progress made over the years. We think the museum and film are both interesting, and worth your while, however, if you would have to choose between Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse .... I would recommend Mount Rushmore .... hands down!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #27

Went there after Mt Rushmore and then to devils Tower and on to Yellowstone. Crazy Horse is well worth the stop. Shouldn't take a whole day.

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
One thing in warning, the Strugis motorcycle rally is the second week of August. Be a lot of motorcycles up there at this time.
Sturgis starts this weekend Aug 1st officially starts on monday but the crowds are all ready their and many more on they way . it is the 75th anniversary. not a great time to be towing a unit through that area and good luck getting a camping spot anywhere within a 100 miles radius . i'm camped in west Yellowstone and will ride in this sunday or monday from here but the TH stays put at the campfire lodge and resort on the madison river
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke5rbd View Post
Went in 2014. Wasn't real impressed. They advertise free parking and it is free after you pay the admissions. What really upset me is you turn on road going to the monument and there is a median with no way to turn around. It has turn around areas but they are blocked off. You go through a toll booth setup and they won't let you turn around without paying. I was on a time line and didn't have the hours it would have taken to go through all the museums. Definitely nothing to see from the parking lot. Nothing been done in several years to the monument.
funny i've been their dozens of times and they are always very nice and even allow you to pull through without paying take photos and then turn around and pull out . when you go through the booth if you choose not to go in they have no problem allowing you to turn around without paying . maybe something with you
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #30

Just don't hit there the 1st. Week of August, that's Sturgis and it is crazy. Try to get into spearfish Campground, beautiful park with full hookups. Use that for home base for all to see in the Blach Hills.
Bobisgolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #31

Crazy horse

Unless you're into Indian history the drive by will do, Mt Rushmore much better. There is so much more to see and do in Yellowstone- Cody WY and the Tetones that you should save Rapid City area for trip back if you have any time left.
Just so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #32

NO! It's a joke w hardly anything being done in recent years. BUT, great museum. If u r interested in that, go for the collections, but not for the monument.
Maineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #33

Keep in mind that the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is August 3 to the 9th. 400,000 to 500,000 people and the Black Hills get really crowded.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #34

If you have not seen Crazy Horse before I say go , if have seen it before I say don't go.
uually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #35

It' s the 75 anaversery of Sturgies, they except up to a million bickers that week
Just so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #36

We just took that trip. I drove up to the entry to Crazy Horse. It looked like a tourist trap as the gate guy talked about gift shops and eating entry fee about $25. We instead drove to Jewel Cave National Park and took the best cave tour I've been in. Get there early as the tours sell out. The next day we went to Mt Rushmore nice; Windy Cave, not impressed. Our third day we drove to the town of Wall Drug then a drive thru the beautiful Badlands National Park. Wish we would have spent more time in Wall and Badlands.
Have a nice trip.
gary ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #37

Send a message via MSN to judy3972
Had a great tour and guide.
Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Custer.
If you use a tour the guide offers much more than you get if you do it yourself.

Phoenix, Az.
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #38

I was just at Yellowstone last week, and it was full. I have a 33CK that is 36 feet long. While getting anywhere in the park was not a problem, finding a camping spot was. I opted to stay at the KOA in West Yellowstone, and drive in. Same thing in the Deadwood/Devils Tower/Rushmore/Crazy Horse area. We camped at KOA Spearfish and did day trips. The traffic was very heavy partially because of Sturgis. If you should go to Devils Tower, there is a nice KOA right at the park entrance.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #39

May be worth your time, but I am not seeing much progress. You can see all you need to see from the parking lot. However, you may want to go in to see the movie, etc. could be worth it to you. Besides it supports the work.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #40

We went to the Black Hills last year. On the trip out, we happened to be camping next to a couple from the Rapid City area. This is what they told us; take from it what you will.
They said that tribe that is building the monument has had public and private financial offers to finish it, but they have refused the help. Some in the tribe are living like royalty on the fees & donations, and a lot of that money will dry up when the statue is finished. That is also why there is so little progress in the carving of it. They don’t want to stop the gravy train.
We chose to take a picture of it from the highway, and spent the money at the Mt. Rushmore gift shops.
We also stayed at Beaver Lake campground, and it was great. The bunnies running around the campsites were tasty..........just kidding, they were cute. Just be aware if you have a dog.