Old 07-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
hobiekaw, sounds like the same trip we are taking. If you have any don't miss things let me know. Thanks

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
Please go. As noted earlier, the movie is poignant and covers a side of American History specific to the area. There is a great museum, a nifty spot where one can look at the model with the sculpture in the rear of the line of vision so one can see what it will look like in comparison with the model.

Have been there three times: once in the early '60s when there were so few tourists that they let me press the button and watch the resulting blast in the distance; once in 1976 for a centennial tour of the West when the monument was a bit more apparent; and this past June when - if you'll excuse the pun- I was "blown" away by the progress that has been made in the monument itself as well as the infrastructure, the movie, the college, the museum, etc.

BTW - technically Uncle Sam supports money going into the project via the tax deduction component of the 501(c)(3) tax exempt nature of the organization, ie, when I make a donation to the organization, they receive my money and I get to write off the donation from my income on my Ferderal income taxes, thus paying fewer Tax dollars to the Feds while getting to support the non-profit organizations while having Uncle Sam pick up a portion of the tab. Good system if you ask me.

Bob and Connie D.
Slackship Enterprise
2015 FR3 30DS
H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
We went back out to Rushmore at dusk, like some suggested.
Badlands, Wall Drug (wouldn't go back, but after a million signs....., Devil's Tower, Little Bighorn Battlefield (which I thought was outstanding), Deadwood, Jellystone
2015 nights camped (54)
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #14
Thumbs up Crazy Horse

Absolutely go there. We enjoyed it more than Mt Rushmore.
I would go again when I am in the area. Most delightful!
Vixda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #15
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
hobiekaw, sounds like the same trip we are taking. If you have any don't miss things let me know. Thanks
I would skip wall drug although the kids enjoyed it. Mount Rushmore for the evening show was outstanding. If you want to see a huge here of buffalo definitely go to Custer.
hobiekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
One thing in warning, the Strugis motorcycle rally is the second week of August. Be a lot of motorcycles up there at this time.
Henry & Tena
2013 Solera 24S
The Great Escape
hkreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
I was there in 1963, what a rip off. Was back about 3 years ago what a change and as other have said lots to see.
Steve and Adele
2014 Flagstaff T12RBST
2005 Toyota 4runner 4x4
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
Don't miss Crazy Horse!
edkayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #19
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
We are taking our first +2 week trip to Yellowstone late summer. I had taken a stop at Crazy Horse Memorial off the itinerary after looking at the website. Since have had several people tell me to definitely stop at Crazy Horse.

Any input from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, planning on driving through the Bad Lands National Park, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Little Big Horn Battlefield, staying in West Yellowstone for 6 nights, Coulter Bay RV Village in Grand Tetons 2 nights. So any information on those appreciated also.

Thanks in advance, this forum has been terrific!
Sounds pretty much like the trip I took a few years back, but also did Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. As long as you're in the Mt. Rushmore area, you may as well see Crazy Horse as well ... it is literally right down the road and is cool if you like that sort of thing (we did). Enjoy the trip!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #20
While you are in the area put Sturgis on your list. Usually known for the motorcycle rally, but fun to visit. However, the best, and hidden item is Fort Meade. The fort is still an active Nat. Guard post, but it is where the 7th Calvary was stationed before the Lil Big Horn and it is where the survivors returned. There is a really nice free museum at the fort. I was disappointed at the Little Big Horn due to it's lack of info and artifacts. They are all in the museum at Fort Meade. I would also put Cody Wy. on the list. Lots of fun and the museum is fantastic. Been to both and will go back.

JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote